Sponsored

DDay61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2021 992 4S, 2019 Macan S
I guess you can. The form you file asks for a VIN and the "in service" date. That's about all. From the VIN they can verify the value, etc.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm in the 8 steps. Looks like delivery will be within a month. I have a VIN assigned and a signed BPA. I have not filed my taxes yet. Do you think I can go ahead and claim the credit even though the truck hasn't been delivered to me yet? From my guide, it's currently on a freight train being delivered to the west coast.
I would not. There is a risk they might discover a flaw with the vehicle that makes it unsalable and they would end up putting you in a different VIN.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I had asked this in another thread but this thread seems to be getting more traffic so I'll ask again here. Are we supposed to include a copy of the BPA when filing our tax forms? I am assuming not and that the IRS would prefer to validate through Rivian should they feel a need to do so. But the transition rule being such an edge case with guidance and documentation slow to trickle out, I don't want to assume something I shouldn't.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I had asked this in another thread but this thread seems to be getting more traffic so I'll ask again here. Are we supposed to include a copy of the BPA when filing our tax forms? I am assuming not and that the IRS would prefer to validate through Rivian should they feel a need to do so. But the transition rule being such an edge case with guidance and documentation slow to trickle out, I don't want to assume something I shouldn't.
Rivian is supposed to furnish the information to the IRS, I don't think you need to include it. You just need to have it on hand if you get audited. I'm not a CPA though.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I would not. There is a risk they might discover a flaw with the vehicle that makes it unsalable and they would end up putting you in a different VIN.
I agree. Don't underestimate the abilities of the railroad to mess it up either. My father used to work in manufacturing engineering and always had plenty of stories about the railroad ruining multi-million dollar molding machines by dragging them through tunnels too small to handle the overhang from the railcar...

All of the car manufacturers plan on a certain amount of product loss from railroads and trucks. I bet it would be a nightmare to try to "undo" the taxes paperwork for a different VIN

absolut87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Guys sorry this is a stupid question - just running out of time to get this stuff over to my accountant.

I signed a BPA in time but ended up taking delivery 11/14/2022.

Do I qualify for the better tax credit just from taking delivery in 2022 or do I still need to put the BPA date of august 15th ?
Sponsored