First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Film
I gotta say the management at Rivian takes a beating on this site. However Rivian being smart enough to implement their BPA can only be seen as a major win and will save quite a few customers some serious coin.
Sponsored

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
I have 2 reservations for 2 R1S's. I signed a BPA for each of them. I've taken delivery of one this year and anticipate taking delivery of the 2nd later this year.

In checking my paper files, I have 2 signed BPA agreements printed out. I believe each one is for one of the R1S. But here's the thing, they look identical.

Is there anything specific to each order or configuration on other people's BPA?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have 2 reservations for 2 R1S's. I signed a BPA for each of them. I've taken delivery of one this year and anticipate taking delivery of the 2nd later this year.

In checking my paper files, I have 2 signed BPA agreements printed out. I believe each one is for one of the R1S. But here's the thing, they look identical.

Is there anything specific to each order or configuration on other people's BPA?
Mine was all generic, nothing pointing to any vehicle specifics.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Damn it... I never thought I would be claiming the credit against 2022 tax.. figured 2023 if not 2024 (eta Q1 24). I already claimed one for R1T (ended up selling) and I don't have enough tax liability for two credits in same year.... looks like I will get a bit over $4k but I guess I shoudn't complain... it's better than nothing as I've previously given up on it seeing my delivery will likely be well into 2024.
First world problems

Reactions: Guy

Sponsored

BendR1S

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Subaru Outback
I'm amazed by how many illiterate people can afford an $80k vehicle.
This made me LOL. And kudos to Rivian for sending this email to clarify this for their customers. They have no incentive to do this but pretty cool that they did!

paco180

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
So assuming you don't exceed the income limit and the MSRP limit of the new rules is there a reason to do this other than getting the refund now? I'm taking delivery in a few weeks (I did sign the BPA in the fall) and the taxes are already done for 2022. Is the battery source still a concern for 2023? Since I'm under the limits on income and MSRP it seems like it would be easier to just wait until the 2023 tax filing.
I also have this same question

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I also have this same question
If you amend your 2022 taxes, you get the money now (or whenever the IRS issues the refund for the amendment). If you wait until 2023, you won't get the money for like another 11 months since they are always late with the tax form.

If your 2022 taxes weren't enough to get the entire $7500, It might be worth waiting.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I gotta say the management at Rivian takes a beating on this site. However Rivian being smart enough to implement their BPA can only be seen as a major win and will save quite a few customers some serious coin.
Rivian has my signed BPA. I didn't receive this email. It's not in my junk folder. They can't properly manage an email list

tren01t

First Name
Lennert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Chemist
Trying to figure out how to do this in TurboTax. Put 8/15/2022 as the in service date. 3/1/2023 as the delivery date. Giving an error that delivery cant be later than in service. Do I put 8/15/2022 as the delivery date? Doesn't seem right. Or should I see if TurboTax can fix their rules?
As per Rivian, put the 8/15/2022 as the in service date as well as the acquisition date. Both dates will have be matched for the credit to appear in TurboTax. This is what I did just before the Rivian guidance but I used the date I signed the BPA which was 08/10/2022.
Hope this helps,
tren01t

Sponsored

peaksix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Rivian's email contains two IRS quotes. One "from Guidance" and the other "from Instructions".

The "from Guidance" section can be found verbatim on the IRS webpage ("To elect the credit under the prior rules you must...")

But the "from Instructions" is not present.

Taxpayers who took delivery in 2023 or after must use August 15, 2022 as the date placed in service when filing out Form 8936.
The quote doesn't show up in any IRS documentation. And the only Google results are threads from this forum and reddit discussing the email. Kind of strange.

tren01t

First Name
Lennert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Chemist
Yup! I am making it rain as I am writing this......
I did receive the email from Rivian as well. A clear indication of following the directions given.

Reactions: Guy

Alchemy8279

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Mazda MX-5
Occupation
Middle Management
Rivian's email contains two IRS quotes. One "from Guidance" and the other "from Instructions".

The "from Guidance" section can be found verbatim on the IRS webpage ("To elect the credit under the prior rules you must...")

But the "from Instructions" is not present.

The quote doesn't show up in any IRS documentation. And the only Google results are threads from this forum and reddit discussing the email. Kind of strange.
If you go to the instructions page for the form (linked on the IRS website) the language is clearly there (scroll way down).

Alchemy8279

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Mazda MX-5
Occupation
Middle Management
BPA was done in August, Delivery in February, and the IRS form was dropped off to my CPA this morning. This is $7500 that I did not actually expect to get back!

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

If I am reading Rivian's letter correctly, when I actually receive my R1T I will have to file an amended return for 2022 to get the original tax credit.

If my R1T is delivered in 2025, I still may not be able to claim the tax credit as there is a two year time limit from the date that I paid my income tax for 2022.

Brian
Sponsored