Sponsored

Rivian policy for migrating from R1T LE to Maxpack?

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
I currently have a R1T LE preorder. My question is If I wanted to switch to a Maxpack today where would I be placed in the Queue? Would it carry my original preorder date or would it be placed at the back of the line with todays date? I called CS this morning and was basically told to wait and ask my "guide". I did do a little searching here but missed it if has been discussed. Anyone have any info on this? I realize preorder date is only part of the equation and no I'm not looking to move up a delivery date, wanting to know incase the LE pack doesn't fit my needs.
Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

The only criteria Rivian has specified for priority is date of preorder, delivery location, and selected options. If you switch from LE to Max Pack, you would be slotted according to these criteria, and not placed behind everyone who selected the Max Pack from the start. You are changing your existing preorder, and not creating a new one.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I'll be interested to hear what you find out. I placed my deposit back on Dec. 12th, 2018, but then when configuration time came, knowing I wanted the Max pack, back to the LA Auto show, thus this moved me from LE to 2022. I've been told by CS that I will most likely be in a time frame of November to place an order for 2022 and that Max pack R1T's will start to be delivered in Jan. '22.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
We can speculate until we're blue in the face, but I honestly think this is the best answer:

WE DO NOT KNOW.

Rivian will deliver what they want, when they want, to whom they want. Without insider info, no one really knows what will happen to your reservation.

RonVS

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Dodge RAM
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I currently have a R1T LE preorder. My question is If I wanted to switch to a Maxpack today where would I be placed in the Queue? Would it carry my original preorder date or would it be placed at the back of the line with todays date? I called CS this morning and was basically told to wait and ask my "guide". I did do a little searching here but missed it if has been discussed. Anyone have any info on this? I realize preorder date is only part of the equation and no I'm not looking to move up a delivery date, wanting to know incase the LE pack doesn't fit my needs.
Hi Gary,
I was chatting with a representative from Rivian today about this exact topic. I preorder the first week of December 2018 which puts me pretty close to the top of the list (I think). I have also ordered the Launch Edition (LE) R1T but living in Canada with our cold temperatures and large distances (between everything) raises the same range concerns. The rep indicated that there is no upgrade option (you can't buy the 300+ mile pack and later have it modified to a 400+ mile pack). She indicated that if you want the MaxPack you will have to switch your configuration to one of the non-LE options. When you do this, your place in the preorder sequence is not lost. When they start building that option model, your preorder spot remains valid and is used to determine the order of delivery. At least that is the current plan as the rep understood it. I also asked her if Rivian might consider building a few MaxPack LEs for people that preordered early? She thought that was a great idea and said she would bring it up to their team. Obviously, there is no guarantee that this will happen, but the more people that make such a request the more seriously they are likely to take it.

Sponsored

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Hi Gary,
I was chatting with a representative from Rivian today about this exact topic. I preorder the first week of December 2018 which puts me pretty close to the top of the list (I think). I have also ordered the Launch Edition (LE) R1T but living in Canada with our cold temperatures and large distances (between everything) raises the same range concerns. The rep indicated that there is no upgrade option (you can't buy the 300+ mile pack and later have it modified to a 400+ mile pack). She indicated that if you want the MaxPack you will have to switch your configuration to one of the non-LE options. When you do this, your place in the preorder sequence is not lost. When they start building that option model, your preorder spot remains valid and is used to determine the order of delivery. At least that is the current plan as the rep understood it. I also asked her if Rivian might consider building a few MaxPack LEs for people that preordered early? She thought that was a great idea and said she would bring it up to their team. Obviously, there is no guarantee that this will happen, but the more people that make such a request the more seriously they are likely to take it.
I would say that has been my biggest disappointment so far - that the Max pack is not available at launch. I would almost pay a premium at this point to have that option on the LE. My concern with switching away from the LE to the Max Pack now is that it would push delivery substantially further back, and I'm already without a vehicle at the moment. Anyway, RJ if you are listening... just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Rad

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

I sent a deposit early on (Nov or Dec 2018) and when the configurator opened I selected the Max pack. The notice in the corner of my swatch book says something like, "Deliveries Begin January 2022". I don't know if this helps.

As CommadoreAmiga states above, we really don't know.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

We can speculate until we're blue in the face, but I honestly think this is the best answer:

WE DO NOT KNOW.

Rivian will deliver what they want, when they want, to whom they want. Without insider info, no one really knows what will happen to your reservation.
YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RIGHT!!!!!

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

What we do know (or think we know) is that if you currently have LE configured and you change to a non-LE config, you can not go back to a LE later.

OP
OP

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
To me it's not that complicated. You are either going to have a Max pack R1T preorder with a 2/20 date or your going to have a Max pack R1T preorder with a 6/21 preorder date. Not blaming the CS rep she actually put me on hold for several minutes to ask but came back with the same non answer. I got to believe Im not the first person to ask that question so I'll just sit tight for now.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
To me it's not that complicated. You are either going to have a Max pack R1T preorder with a 2/20 date or your going to have a Max pack R1T preorder with a 6/21 preorder date. Not blaming the CS rep she actually put me on hold for several minutes to ask but came back with the same non answer. I got to believe Im not the first person to ask that question so I'll just sit tight for now.
It has been well established by Rivian that your pre-order date does not reset. This is effectively your relative priority within any given production queue/batch. Which queue/batch you are placed in depends on your configuration and delivery location. Or so they have said. But, I agree with CommodoreAmiga in that Rivian can still juggle things as they see fit.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
You seem to be using configuration date in place of reservation date.
They will look at the date you placed your deposit. People can and do update their configurations often. But moving away from the LE does put you in a later group (but your early reservation/deposit date will put you at or near the front of that line)

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
It's July, first delivery(ies) scheduled for this month (July 31st?), and what we all need to make our final decision on whether to switch to the Max Pack/non-LE are the EPA numbers. CS promised (said in chat) those numbers would be released prior to first delivery. My gut feeling is that there are going to be a lot of switches from Large to Max if the numbers aren't so good. This will be the biggest factor in knowing how many LE vehicles they will have/need to produce. Soooo....if Rivian really wants to plan effectively, get those EPA numbers out!

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

It's July, first delivery(ies) scheduled for this month (July 31st?), and what we all need to make our final decision on whether to switch to the Max Pack/non-LE are the EPA numbers. CS promised (said in chat) those numbers would be released prior to first delivery. My gut feeling is that there are going to be a lot of switches from Large to Max if the numbers aren't so good. This will be the biggest factor in knowing how many LE vehicles they will have/need to produce. Soooo....if Rivian really wants to plan effectively, get those EPA numbers out!
July 30th?

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
My cynical side....EPA numbers released at midnight July 30th, one R1T delivered on 31st (Jeff Bezos?)! Rivian meets goal/expectations!
Sponsored