Rivian, please ”add” a power button

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
So if I don't "turn it off", then it would work like it does now...start waking up as soon as it senses my phone nearby? I don't want to wait 30 seconds or something like that for all the systems to come online when I touch brake. I want that stuff all ready as soon as I get in, Like it is now. If you all want to wait for systems to come up online, you do you...but I love the way it works now. I don't want it to be like my last Acura where I couldn't change radio stations till I was 30 seconds down road.
There's a huge difference between priming the systems to be ready to activate and activating them automatically. I don't mind the former. The problem is the latter.
Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

So if I don't "turn it off", then it would work like it does now...start waking up as soon as it senses my phone nearby?
Correct. Leave the current standby functionality and add an additional optional off state.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
There's a huge difference between priming the systems to be ready to activate and activating them automatically. I don't mind the former. The problem is the latter.
So basically then when sitting in cabin, if one touches the "on/off" button, then the hvac, exterior lights, seat and steering wheel heaters, audio system, and display back lights, would all turn off, but the systems (not hvac, etc) would stay active. So turning the truck back "on" would turn those items all back on.

That seems to me like it would work well. And if one doesn't turn off truck when leaving, it would simply work like it does now. If turned off, the no on, till press brake. But start booting up as it does now.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
So basically then when sitting in cabin, if one touches the "on/off" button, then the hvac, exterior lights, seat and steering wheel heaters, audio system, and display back lights, would all turn off, but the systems (not hvac, etc) would stay active. So turning the truck back "on" would turn those items all back on.

That seems to me like it would work well. And if one doesn't turn off truck when leaving, it would simply work like it does now. If turned off, the no on, till press brake. But start booting up as it does now.
Yep, I think you got my idea.

Sponsored

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
For me, probably partly from owning Teslas prior to the rivian, I’m used to how it works and like it. Even in my house, lights come on by motion, front door unlocks by proximity, hvac system turns on/off by proximity, etc etc. yes I could manually turn all these on/off but I set up all this automation for convenience. I find the car turning on/off automatically, just convenient for me.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
For me, probably partly from owning Teslas prior to the rivian, I’m used to how it works and like it. Even in my house, lights come on by motion, front door unlocks by proximity, hvac system turns on/off by proximity, etc etc. yes I could manually turn all these on/off but I set up all this automation for convenience. I find the car turning on/off automatically, just convenient for me.
And you would still have that option if I got my way 😉

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
And you would still have that option if I got my way 😉
OP, you're not going to convince most of the people on here. I made a thread about asking if I was the only one wanting a trim (yes, just an optional trim in the future) with regular coil over suspension and got bashed for several pages. Personally, I would welcome an on/off button and think your double tap park is an eligant solution.

I like smart home features but do not want them to get in the way. As soon as I have to pull my phone out while standing next to the device, or in this case sitting in the vehicle, it ruins the experience.

CaptRat

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac CTS
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I don’t have my R1T yet, but I think an optional power on/off button makes sense and would be a desirable feature. I get those that like it the way it is now and how their Tesla works (geez, I’m so tired of hearing about Teslas like they’re the gold stanard.) But the OP’s ask is for an optional button…and with no added hardware.

I also agree that there better ways to do things in automobiles than that which has been done for decades. But there’s just too much “change for change’s sake” in a lot of this. It’s like the endless computer operating system updates that merely rearrange a menu bar or change the look of an icon and don’t really improve the operating experience.

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
Funny how perspectives differ. Am I really a big outlier that at times I want to be in or around my vehicles without them being fully "on"? I feel like that's a pretty normal thing. Why do I need to be away from my truck for it to turn off? Why does my vehicle need to guess my intentions? Why can't I press a single button to explicitly and unambiguously tell it to turn on or off?

Imagine if your oven assumed you wanted to preheat it every time you walked by...
😆sorry had to smile at this one …

Sponsored

rpmtexas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5 Diesel with Lift Kit, Jeep Grand Cherokee
OP, you're not going to convince most of the people on here. I made a thread about asking if I was the only one wanting a trim (yes, just an optional trim in the future) with regular coil over suspension and got bashed for several pages. Personally, I would welcome an on/off button and think your double tap park is an eligant solution.

I like smart home features but do not want them to get in the way. As soon as I have to pull my phone out while standing next to the device, or in this case sitting in the vehicle, it ruins the experience.
I would have preferred a non-air suspension and desperately need an on-off solution. With dogs and kids and the associated loading, unloading, and shuffling, I am constantly opening and closing doors and the truck is constantly turning on and off. It’s a huge pain. I haven’t figured out a way to manage it yet. Our other EV has an on/off button and it works great. I can stop and grab the mail, wash the car, etc. and the kids can stay in the car with the AC and music on. The Rivian shuts off when I get out and close the door. Maybe I’m missing something. I would much prefer to have to turn it on/off manually. My kids are old enough to get themselves out of the vehicle, but I worry what happens if someone starts a vehicle, puts kids in the car in the driveway, one kid has an accident, forgets something, etc and parent goes back in house for a few minutes and the car decides to turn itself off in the sun.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Two Options can help here:
  1. Enable Camp Mode and select turn off;
  2. Enable Pet Mode, then open and close a door to mimic getting out of the truck.
That second will give you AC, the first will not. I use the first a lot when washing the truck.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I would have preferred a non-air suspension and desperately need an on-off solution. With dogs and kids and the associated loading, unloading, and shuffling, I am constantly opening and closing doors and the truck is constantly turning on and off. It’s a huge pain. I haven’t figured out a way to manage it yet. Our other EV has an on/off button and it works great. I can stop and grab the mail, wash the car, etc. and the kids can stay in the car with the AC and music on. The Rivian shuts off when I get out and close the door. Maybe I’m missing something. I would much prefer to have to turn it on/off manually. My kids are old enough to get themselves out of the vehicle, but I worry what happens if someone starts a vehicle, puts kids in the car in the driveway, one kid has an accident, forgets something, etc and parent goes back in house for a few minutes and the car decides to turn itself off in the sun.
Mine stays on of I leave the vehicle and other occupants are still in it. Keeps the music and A/C on as well.

rpmtexas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Two Options can help here:
  1. Enable Camp Mode and select turn off;
  2. Enable Pet Mode, then open and close a door to mimic getting out of the truck.
That second will give you AC, the first will not. I use the first a lot when washing the truck.
Thanks. I have used the pet mode, but it’s a pain to have to remember to do it. An on/off button like there’s always been is easier. May try removing phone as a key and leaving the FOB in the car. Maybe that will work.

rpmtexas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine stays on of I leave the vehicle and other occupants are still in it. Keeps the music and A/C on as well.
How’d you manage that? 😂. It shouldn’t be this hard…
Sponsored