Rivian, please ”add” a power button

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I get liking buttons, I absolutely love them in my F-150 Lightning Pro. But I feel like if you went the Rivian (or Tesla) route...that's all part of the design. 3 taps of the screen while you're sitting and waiting anyway; there isn't really a rush is there?

Alternatively you can try asking Alexa to turn off. I haven't tried that yet, but perhaps that'll work.
Yes, three taps to turn off the truck is too much, especially when those virtual buttons change positions. This also doesn’t solve the issue of explicitly powering on the truck, only powering off.

I want to always explicitly tell the truck when to turn on and when to turn off. I don’t want to have to jump through menus to do so. It’s not convenient or intuitive to do so.

As I said, you don’t need an additional physical button for this. Add it to the existing Park button. Make it optional for folks like you who like the existing behavior.

I don’t think it’s crazy or too much to ask for this to be an option.
Sponsored

Last edited:

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Lock the truck. You can do this with the phone. This isn’t complicated and does not require the fob. Is your PAAK setup correctly?

Our truck locks every time we walk away. We don’t do anything. You can also do this manually in the app.

The vehicle doesn’t need a physics button.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Lock the truck. You can do this with the phone. This isn’t complicated and does not require the fob. Is your PAAK setup correctly?

Our truck locks every time we walk away. You can also do this manually in the app.

The vehicle doesn’t need a physics button.
I don’t use proximity lock/unlock for the reasons stated in the original post. It’s also not intuitive to think to lock the truck using your phone while you’re sitting in it as opposed to just pressing a button.

Also, for the millionth time I didn’t say it needed a distinct button. The Park button is perfectly suited for this task.

Does anyone actually read posts or just the titles?

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

I’ve mentioned this in a few other threads, but there really needs to be some way to turn on/off the truck in the traditional sense.

I’m currently sitting in the R1T waiting for a table at a restaurant. Sitting here in park the headlights and taillights are on, causing people to think I’m about to leave my spot. The A/C is running unnecessarily. When I get out my music is going to keep playing until I lock the door. If I had proximity key enabled all of this would happen just by walking past the truck. Sure, all of these things can be controlled independently, but having one-touch to put everything in the appropriate state is way more convenient.

I understand the desire to simplify and remove buttons, which is why I put “add” in quotes. This could be an entirely optional feature enabled via software using the existing switchgear.

My preferred option is the Park button. If you’re already in Park and press the button again it could control the power state of the truck. Another option is the right steering wheel buttons which currently only function when in drive for cruise control/trailer brake.
Best idea I have seen and I use it often. Turn off Bluetooth. I do this If I am going to be around the truck but don’t want it to turn on. Very fast and effective. Then when your done turn on Bluetooth.

babylou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Business owner
Twice now my truck didn't lock or shut down after I walked away. I then discovered the phone app is locked. I never knew this occurred until I returned to the vehicle.

I really like the idea of the double press on the PARK button as a shut down method.

Sponsored

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

This is another cumbersome “hack.”
Yes a hack. But not cumbersome. On my iPhone it’s swipe and tap. Exactly how long it would take me to grab your keys out of your pocket and push a fob button.

but I get it. I do agree if people want it but it doesn’t affect those that don’t then add the programming. I think in 3-5 years we will be at a spot of more trivial things but there are some daily things that are weird for a bit. But man I still love this vehicle. Lol

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
I don’t use proximity lock/unlock for the reasons stated in the original post. It’s also not intuitive to think to lock the truck using your phone while you’re sitting in it as opposed to just pressing a button.

Also, for the millionth time I didn’t say it needed a distinct button. The Park button is perfectly suited for this task.

Does anyone actually read posts or just the titles?
Literally the first thing you wrote:
“I’ve mentioned this in a few other threads, but there really needs to be some way to turn on/off the truck in the traditional sense.”

And the proximity lock/unlock works fine. You can simply close the app after the vehicle locks and it won’t unlock if you walk by it.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I like the idea of in settings “turn off with park”

then again, cabin lights with doors doesn’t actually function that way. Classic rivian!

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Literally the first thing you wrote:
“I’ve mentioned this in a few other threads, but there really needs to be some way to turn on/off the truck in the traditional sense.”

And the proximity lock/unlock works fine. You can simply close the app after the vehicle locks and it won’t unlock if you walk by it.
Your quote literally does not mention a physical button.

And in the exact same post:
I understand the desire to simplify and remove buttons, which is why I put “add” in quotes. This could be an entirely optional feature enabled via software using the existing switchgear.​

Closing the app, disabling Bluetooth… these are all cumbersome workarounds to simply adding an optional software feature to the existing hardware in the truck.

I swear I have never seen so many people get so defensive about recommended optional improvements to the user experience of a vehicle. And I haven’t even mentioned CarPlay in this thread!

Sponsored

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

I’ve become so used to auto lights I know I’d forget to turn them back on. I’ve done that a few times in rentals. Once I hit a stretch of road without other cars and no street lights I’m embarrassed to find I didn’t even realize the lights are off. In hindsight it’s like my brain knew something was off, but since I rarely touch the switch in most vehicles I don’t think to check it.
I believe they auto back to auto when you start driving.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Yes a hack. But not cumbersome. On my iPhone it’s swipe and tap. Exactly how long it would take me to grab your keys out of your pocket and push a fob button.
And if I want to use bluetooth for another purpose while I'm around my truck?

I frequently listen to a bluetooth speaker while in my garage where my R1T is parked.

staytuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I swear I have never seen so many people get so defensive about recommended optional improvements to the user experience of a vehicle. And I haven’t even mentioned CarPlay in this thread!
I think the title might be scary (a mandatory power button would be regressive). When you further explained, it makes sense.

Maybe the steering wheel buttons could even be configurable. Activate camp mode, in this case; kneel could be another option. Seems low effort. There might(?) be some regulatory aspect about modifying the driving controls, eg. the park button.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I think the title might be scary (a mandatory power button would be regressive). When you further explained, it makes sense.

Maybe the steering wheel buttons could even be configurable. Activate camp mode, in this case; kneel could be another option. Seems low effort. There might(?) be some regulatory aspect about modifying the driving controls, eg. the park button.
That's why I put add in quotes and elaborate in the very first post! But I guess reading a post before you reply is antithetical to the internet.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Closing the app, disabling Bluetooth… these are all cumbersome workarounds to simply adding an optional software feature to the existing hardware in the truck.
Agree. Part of quality UI/UX design is making it simple and intuitive. Closing the app and disabling Bluetooth is neither simple nor intuitive in this case. Tens or hundreds of times a day we flip a switch to turn something completely off. It should be that simple in the RIvian.
Sponsored