First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I am in favor of an optional on/off button.

Optional means if you don’t want it just don’t activate it, and continue using the vehicle as you always have been.

Optional also means if you do want it you can activate it, and begin using the new feature.

Being optional means there should be absolutely no disagreement on whether or not it should be made available as ALL drivers (for and against) can do it their own way … use it or not!

It’s interesting how a simple innocent request turns into a 7 (so far) page, at times disrespectful, discussion.
I agree with this. There are times I want the truck off and it stays on, and vice versa. With an on/off switch you do not need pet mode and you can clean the screens, etc.
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I know, right? Thankfully I’ve already discarded my Rivians in favor of another vehicle which does in fact have a simple on/off procedure (and working door entry and a functional infotainment system).

Consequently it’s also helped me avoid folks who read urgency into someone else’s recommendations for simple, optional usability improvements on their modern vehicle.
If Rivian is so shitty it seems like the Rivian forum is an odd choice of a hangout spot.

jfornelli

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500, Tesla Model Y
Agreed - I like that you don't have to do anything.

You just let your foot off the accelerator and it automatically slows to a stop. At which point you can just climb out, and walk away. The car takes care of braking, engaging the parking brake, and locking the doors and going to sleep all on it's own.

The only thing I have to remember to do is close the door. I'm just afraid that if I ever drive an ICE again I'll not only leave the engine running but I will also leave it in gear.
I did this very thing. Got so used to driving my wife's Tesla that when I used my ICE truck, I forgot to hit the power off button. I came out 2.5 hours later and was wondering why my headlights were on and the engine running.

_R1S_

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Did you try?: "alexa, add an on/off button to this two foot wide screen". I'm sure it will work... just like the other alexa commands. How about a button to turn the display off? I don't need that s**t on while driving in the middle of the night.

And never have i been in a car where I have to take my eyes off the road so much to do anything. Otherwise everything is super intuitive.... Like putting a cheat code into your NES. UP, UP, UP, LEFT, down, down, swipe diagonal, swirly, diagonal, diagonal, enter... finally, car off.

Sponsored

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Great conversation, hopefully Rivian is reading this for future software ideas. I don't like that the interior lights come on when I hit the "park" button while waiting in the truck. But maybe hitting the "lock" on the screen will take care of that. Hey Rivian, how about some user-programmable software "buttons" on our home screen?!? (yes, that assumes you give us a home screen sometime s00n... ) Everyone be sure to also check out Jose's site to make and vote up software suggestions - we know Rivian watches that: https://rivian.software/
Sponsored