Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Rivian really needs to add chargers in the Death Valley, Ridgecrest and Lone Pine (395) areas. This is very underserved except for Tesla Supershargers
Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Rivian really needs to add chargers in the Death Valley, Ridgecrest and Lone Pine (395) areas. This is very underserved except for Tesla Supershargers
I mean the Rivian home page main photo shows three bicycles and an R1T in Alabama Hills which is 5 min from Lone Pine!!!!

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian plans own charging network called Rivian Adventure Network! Image 11-17-20 at 1.05 PM

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
I mean the Rivian home page main photo shows three bicycles and an R1T in Alabama Hills which is 5 min from Lone Pine!!!!

Image 11-17-20 at 1.05 PM.jpeg
Even more direct is this image, which downright says Lone Pine, CA and talks about the charging network:
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian plans own charging network called Rivian Adventure Network! Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 1.07.31 PM

That said, I have done a few permit searches in Inyo County and haven't found anything with Rivian's name on it. Yet.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I'd like to know what (if anything) will be built in Southern half of Colorado. I don't want to have to go up to I70 to recharge.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I'd like to know what (if anything) will be built in Southern half of Colorado. I don't want to have to go up to I70 to recharge.
As of today (50+ kW CCS)
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian plans own charging network called Rivian Adventure Network! 1605661340789

A little bit in S Colorado, but nothing currently >125 kW

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
As of today (50+ kW CCS)

< image >

A little bit in S Colorado, but nothing currently >125 kW
I've been using PlugShare to start to track them down so I have a reasonable plan. Most of my destinations have one, regardless of speed (Buena Vista, Breckenridge, Crested Butte) and I should be able to get to any of them on a single charge. Extending beyond that just means a slower charge. If they threw a Rivian charger in Gunnison, I think it would be perfect.

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
For Colorado (CO) folks, or those interested in visiting CO in their Rivians, the state is investing in a charging infrastructure. There are two plans.

One is Charge Ahead Colorado, a grant-based program, to which any organization is allowed to apply. In email discussions with one of the coordinators, the state expects to award ~75 of these "over the year", though this was back in late last year. The awards would be a mix of L2 and L3 stations.

https://energyoffice.colorado.gov/zero-emission-vehicles/charge-ahead-colorado

Within this plan, there is a "Scenic and Historic byways program", in which the state is contacting communities along byways and encouraging them to apply for a Charge Ahead Colorado grant. According to one email:

"New Level 3 chargers along byways include: Carbondale, Crested Butte, Lake City, Meeker, Creede

Level 3 coming soon: Walsenburg, Minturn, Yampa, Del Norte, Fraser, Walden (still tentative)

Other new or coming soon level 3 not on byways: Del Norte, Wolf Creek Ski Area, Edwards, Eagle County Airport"

The second plan is the "Corridors" program. Via a competitive process, CO selected ChargePoint "to build 33 fast-charging stations across the state at strategic locations".

https://energyoffice.colorado.gov/zero-emission-vehicles/electric-vehicle-fast-charging-corridors

Looks like COVID has put them behind a bit, but the program is still making progress.

Between the two plans, I'm hopeful that by the time the R1S LE vehicles are available it will be possible to traverse CO pretty easily with a 135 kW version, or whatever it ends up being.

A problem, however, is if one wants to head north to Wyoming or Montana. Those places are currently charging-station deserts. A bummer, because there is really nice camping to be had up there too.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
For Colorado (CO) folks, or those interested in visiting CO in their Rivians, the state is investing in a charging infrastructure. There are two plans.

One is Charge Ahead Colorado, a grant-based program, to which any organization is allowed to apply. In email discussions with one of the coordinators, the state expects to award ~75 of these "over the year", though this was back in late last year. The awards would be a mix of L2 and L3 stations.

https://energyoffice.colorado.gov/zero-emission-vehicles/charge-ahead-colorado

Within this plan, there is a "Scenic and Historic byways program", in which the state is contacting communities along byways and encouraging them to apply for a Charge Ahead Colorado grant. According to one email:

"New Level 3 chargers along byways include: Carbondale, Crested Butte, Lake City, Meeker, Creede

Level 3 coming soon: Walsenburg, Minturn, Yampa, Del Norte, Fraser, Walden (still tentative)

Other new or coming soon level 3 not on byways: Del Norte, Wolf Creek Ski Area, Edwards, Eagle County Airport"

The second plan is the "Corridors" program. Via a competitive process, CO selected ChargePoint "to build 33 fast-charging stations across the state at strategic locations".

https://energyoffice.colorado.gov/zero-emission-vehicles/electric-vehicle-fast-charging-corridors

Looks like COVID has put them behind a bit, but the program is still making progress.

Between the two plans, I'm hopeful that by the time the R1S LE vehicles are available it will be possible to traverse CO pretty easily with a 135 kW version, or whatever it ends up being.

A problem, however, is if one wants to head north to Wyoming or Montana. Those places are currently charging-station deserts. A bummer, because there is really nice camping to be had up there too.
Looks like Durango and Cortez will be included, that makes it easy for me to visit from Arizona. It is easy to get there from Phoenix now, even in my Bolt, EA is in Flagstaff, Winslow and Gallop, but once you get there only a few L2 chargers. With the R1T, I could go Flagstaff to Cortez via the Navajo reservation and cut some distance off the trip.

Page Arizona, location of Lake Powell, would also be an ideal location.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I've been wondering whether these RAN stations will be exclusive to Rivian vehicles. Seems to me that would be a mistake. Anyone have any insight? Has Rivian said anything about this?

OP
OP
Lmirafuente

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I've been wondering whether these RAN stations will be exclusive to Rivian vehicles. Seems to me that would be a mistake. Anyone have any insight? Has Rivian said anything about this?
My guess based on the recent interview RJ did is it could be free for Rivian owners and maybe non Rivian vehicle are charged for use.

I am thinking Rivian owners would take precedence for charging and can reserve the chargers based on road trip plans and proximity to the charging station while on route and anticipated arrival to the charger.

The volume of Rivian’s will ramp up so why not have other vehicles use the system, but have priority to Rivian owners somehow.

And again, just totally spitballing Here...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I guess Tesla manages to exclude other users from their SCs in Europe where everyone uses CCS2 (IOW other vehicles are compatible but for software lockout except when Tesla forgets to turn that on) but for a company who claims saving the planet from carbon poisoning as one of it's major goals to exclude the BEV of another manufacurer just seems wrong. I keep seeing images in my mind of drinking fountains with "white" and "colored" signs over them (yes, I'm old enough to remember that).

I don't know how you would give priority to Rivian users other than by putting them in places Rivian users are more likely to go than others which is, of course, exactly what we'd expect them to do. Nor can I see how you would practically implement a reservation system. But if you don't there will be times when a Rivian will arrive to find a Kona plugged in. I don't think that would bother me. Less than if a frustrated Kona owner decided to "ICE" the charger.
Sponsored