First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I must say that I don’t really care anymore if Rivian builds it’s own network now that Tesla’s is supposed to open up.

I’m already planning on buying an adapter without even seeing the cost. How much would you be willing to pay for one. I honestly would pay $500 without hesitation.
I find this interesting. I have pretty low expectations for the functionality of superchargers with generic cars and suspect they will continue to be very busy. Not saying you're wrong to be excited, just different level of expectations.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
One problem with the charging door migrating from right front to left front. If Tesla really does open the Super Chargers to other manufacturers, unless they put in longer charge cables, they are useless for Rivian. When they were on the right front, you could pull straight in and the cable would have reached. Now on the left side will not work, you would have to pull into the adjacent stall and block that from other users to make the existing cable reach.

Not an issue today but just an observation....
That would be an issue today at many stations.

[Edit]After posting I thought of the Lebanon, NH supercharger where someone (including me the first time) always seems to pull in to the back side of the stalls. I found this picture on PlugShare which not only shows the configuration but reveals the feelings of the guy who posted the picture about cars doing this. Frankly I don't see any reason not to charge from either side but then this is the only station I can think of that I have been to where it is possible to do this. Presumably Tesla will be building a lot of new stations and refurbing others. Maybe they will install longer cables or configure the stalls differently.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian plans own charging network called Rivian Adventure Network! Lebano

OTOH
I wonder if cooling issues will make extensions possible? As I stated a minute ago, I'd think any federal $ will require plugs and cords that will need to work for all. ?
No, I don't think you will be able to have an extension cord because of the cooling. I guess you could have one limited to 150 kW.

Everyone assumes Tesla is after the federal money. I don't assume that. I rather think Tesla will go it on its own and the deal will be "Here are our requirements."

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

That would be an issue today at many stations.

[Edit]After posting I thought of the Lebanon, NH supercharger where someone (including me the first time) always seems to pull in to the back side of the stalls. I found this picture on PlugShare which not only shows the configuration but reveals the feelings of the guy who posted the picture about cars doing this. Frankly I don't see any reason not to charge from either side but then this is the only station I can think of that I have been to where it is possible to do this. Presumably Tesla will be building a lot of new stations and refurbing others. Maybe they will install longer cables or configure the stalls differently.

Lebanon.png

OTOH
No, I don't think you will be able to have an extension cord because of the cooling. I guess you could have one limited to 150 kW.

Everyone assumes Tesla is after the federal money. I don't assume that. I rather think Tesla will go it on its own and the deal will be "Here are our requirements."
I can't wait to see how Tesla ultimately responds. It'll certainly improve our charging prospects if they make it as convenient as possible for non-Tesla's. I would think they would love to get some of the federal dollars, but no doubt they will find a way to make some decent income off of non-Teslas sitting and sipping at their stations.

How do the Tesla faithful here feel about sharing your your SuperCharger network work with the masses?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I expect you will find the Tesla owners on this forum, the vast majority of whom I think have reservations for Rivian, enthusiastically in favor of it. I should note that I have never had to wait for a charge stall meaning that I don't in general go to the places where the busy chargers are located, Most of the chargers I visit look like the picture in my last post - empty except for me and one or 2 other cars.

If you ask this question of people who don't have or plan to get an BEV from another manufacturer I expect the answer would be quite different especially from those who have to charge at the busy chargers.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Tesla’s plans here may have just doomed Rivian’s. They might not want to be the world’s only brand exclusive charging network.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I expect you will find the Tesla owners on this forum, the vast majority of whom I think have reservations for Rivian, enthusiastically in favor of it. I should note that I have never had to wait for a charge stall meaning that I don't in general go to the places where the busy chargers are located, Most of the chargers I visit look like the picture in my last post - empty except for me and one or 2 other cars.

If you ask this question of people who don't have or plan to get an BEV from another manufacturer I expect the answer would be quite different especially from those who have to charge at the busy chargers.
Yep - I'm a Tesla owner who is thrilled about the idea that I might be able to charge my Rivian at superchargers. My biggest concern about buying a Rivian is loosing access to the supercharger network.

However that is exactly why I am surprised Tesla is considering this. They will be giving up one of their biggest competitive advantages. The best explanation I can think of is that they expect other charging networks to catch up and negate the advantage Tesla has with an exclusive charging network by the time Tesla has excess manufacturing capacity and begins to care about competition.

I have noticed a significant increase in traffic at the superchargers the route I frequent this year. Telsa noticed too and there are 6 new locations under construction. As long as they continue to add capacity when locations start filling up I think that increased traffic from non-tesla vehicles is a good thing. It will result in more locations. And no one can argue that a supercharger station every 20 miles isn't way better than a supercharger station every 100 miles.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
How do the Tesla faithful here feel about sharing your your SuperCharger network work with the masses?
Duck, I agree with others that you’ll get a highly skewed opinion here. I am thrilled about the prospect, especially since a specific route I frequent has a Supercharger and no current plans for RAN or EA station.

In 6 years of Tesla ownerships and several cross country trips, I’ve only had to wait to charge at a Supercharger twice - both in SLC, where I could have driven another mile to the Tesla Service Center and charged there if I didn’t want to wait.

I had one other frustrating incident where some idiot parked a trailer across all 8 stations at a Supercharger in a motel parking lot (a lot of the interstate exit Superchargers are in motel parking lots). Rolled into that station in the middle of the night and had to wait a few hours before the jerk left. ? Took a much needed nap in the car and tried to make the best of it.
Sponsored