Electric Rivilution

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Model X P90D
Rivian Patents Bolt-On Low-Range Crawler Gearbox for Off-Road EVs

And when your EV has four motors, you need a low-range gearbox at every corner.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/rivian-patents-bolt-on-low-range-crawler-gearbox-for-off-road-evs

February 6, 2023

“Rivian's electric trucks and SUVs are capable machines. With a motor at every wheel and adjustable long-travel suspension, they can conquer tough terrain, tow with ease, and stay planted in extreme weather. This capability comes at a cost, though. High torque scenarios like rock crawling, heavy-duty towing, and slippery conditions can overheat the motors and limit performance. The answer? A bolt-on low-range gearbox for every corner, of course.

The young electric automaker has just received a patent for such a device, which is the first of its kind as far as we're aware. According to the document, the four gearboxes would mount directly onto the existing drive units and replace the inner CV joints of the … axles. Inside each gearbox, there would be a planetary gearset to provide the reduction as well as an actuator to engage or..."

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Patents Low-Range Crawler Gearbox (Bolt-on) for Off-Roading rivian-low-range-gearbox-lead
Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Rivian Patents Bolt-On Low-Range Crawler Gearbox for Off-Road EVs

And when your EV has four motors, you need a low-range gearbox at every corner.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/rivian-patents-bolt-on-low-range-crawler-gearbox-for-off-road-evs

February 6, 2023

“Rivian's electric trucks and SUVs are capable machines. With a motor at every wheel and adjustable long-travel suspension, they can conquer tough terrain, tow with ease, and stay planted in extreme weather. This capability comes at a cost, though. High torque scenarios like rock crawling, heavy-duty towing, and slippery conditions can overheat the motors and limit performance. The answer? A bolt-on low-range gearbox for every corner, of course.

The young electric automaker has just received a patent for such a device, which is the first of its kind as far as we're aware. According to the document, the four gearboxes would mount directly onto the existing drive units and replace the inner CV joints of the … axles. Inside each gearbox, there would be a planetary gearset to provide the reduction as well as an actuator to engage or..."

rivian-low-range-gearbox-lead.jpg
Beat me to it 😔
I wonder if this will be the "we plan to reintroduce a quad motor Max Pack with enhanced capabilities"

Also, if put out there, would be a great option for existing quad owners!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I have to say this doesn’t make a lot of sense. Such a small percentage of owners would do this and it would likely be extremely pricey. Maybe way down the road when the service centers can do more specialty add ons…

Interesting idea though.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
We know they are planning a next generation Quad with enhanced performance from the new motors, but I don't know if these will be a part of the package or just something conceptual.

Either way, I like that they are continuing to try to dominate the news cycle as the off roader's choice for EVs.

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

I have to say this doesn’t make a lot of sense. Such a small percentage of owners would do this and it would likely be extremely pricey. Maybe way down the road when the service centers can do more specialty add ons…

Interesting idea though.
I agree. It's likely to just remain a patent and never see the light of day. The R1T/S has so much torque already that I can't imagine paying extra and adding more complexity and weight to the truck just get more low end torque. Now if they came up with a two speed gearbox that would engage at higher speed for higher gearing / longer range then I would consider it.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
If it weren't cost prohibitive, I'd do it. This would be a nice benefit during my favorite uses for my truck. If I'm already dropping 10k+ on various overlanding accessories (RTT, Sliders, etc etc), not sure why I'd balk at a few thousand more.

Modifications for overlanders are very popular. Rivian might not sell these to a majority of the market, but there would certainly be interest. I would expect to see them standard on an offroad-focused R2 as well, if it's something they can actually develop.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I agree. It's likely to just remain a patent and never see the light of day. The R1T/S has so much torque already that I can't imagine paying extra and adding more complexity and weight to the truck just get more low end torque. Now if they came up with a two speed gearbox that would engage at higher speed for higher gearing / longer range then I would consider it.
I would definitely be interested in that!

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I bet they build it. These aren’t the typical abstract line drawing patent drawings used when something is just a concept.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
A strong patent portfolio is something Rivian needs to continue to build for the obvious reasons of protecting their IP but also to fend of litigation and help with technology negotiations.

Nix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No Dox

I wonder if Porsche's 2-speed axle technology could be leveraged on a 2-motor Rivian?

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Wonder if this could be applied to a dual motor car to apply variable torque at each wheel
Sponsored