Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I'd be pretty disappointed if they design the bumper in such a way that a $3k winch is the only viable option. I have the integrated electronics 9.5k version of this on my 4Runner at half the price.

http://shop.comeupusa.com/p/seal-gen2-12-5rs-12v-winch
The finest chinesium is genrally less expensive.

You likelycan install whatever you want, it’ll just not be as nicely integrated, and will require creative Dremel use, as people have done on the new defenders which have no accommodation for a manual freespool - the factory accessory is a fancy Warn there, too.
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Bad news. Asked my guide about the winch and bumper this afternoon, and this is his reply:
"As we continue to update the configurator with new options including Dual-Motor AWD and Standard battery pack, we also reevaluate and streamline our other offerings. With this in mind, we've made the decision not to offer any Rivian-branded built-in winch or off-road bumper options at this time."

I replied "That's a serious bummer about the winch and bumper though. If a RIvian gets stuck there are very few vehicles with a strong enough winch to pull it out. That's going to lead to some expensive tows. I hope they reconsider." and he said he'd pass that on up the chain FWIW. His info has been spot on so far, so I'm thinking a winch won't be offered s00n.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Bad news. Asked my guide about the winch and bumper this afternoon, and this is his reply:
"As we continue to update the configurator with new options including Dual-Motor AWD and Standard battery pack, we also reevaluate and streamline our other offerings. With this in mind, we've made the decision not to offer any Rivian-branded built-in winch or off-road bumper options at this time."

I replied "That's a serious bummer about the winch and bumper though. If a RIvian gets stuck there are very few vehicles with a strong enough winch to pull it out. That's going to lead to some expensive tows. I hope they reconsider." and he said he'd pass that on up the chain FWIW. His info has been spot on so far, so I'm thinking a winch won't be offered s00n.
Management probably not tell the guides an estimated date of an option that is not in the configurator.

My desire for the winch is the same as yours. It's a heavy vehicle that is going to be difficult to get unstuck. There is also no straightforward way to use a 12V winch without carrying a spare battery.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Winch controls as mentioned here are confirmed thru Patent filings for BT and remote control

• Controlled Via Bluetooth within Application
  • Free Spool
  • Winch Out
  • Winch In
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Patents Front Bumper with a Winch (Fairlead) 1652907014471

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Patents Front Bumper with a Winch (Fairlead) 1652906961559

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Awesome I'm getting really exited for this. hopefully its an option by the time my OC comes.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Winch controls as mentioned here are confirmed thru Patent filings for BT and remote control

1652906961559.png
Do you think that's going to be a different fob or integrated into the current one? Has too many buttons for jus the winch right?

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Man oh man, I hope this comes along before too long.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Do you think that's going to be a different fob or integrated into the current one? Has too many buttons for jus the winch right?
Current fob is 4 buttons.

Warn’s advanced wireless remote has 5 buttons 🤔

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired

My guide replied to my inquiry about the winch today with the identical text. Makes me think the Guides just parrot the official company line without having any real understanding of what's going on.

I didn't bother to reply.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
I asked my mobile tech about this today, and he know nothing about it. That didn't surprise me. What did, was him talking exclusively about 12v, even though he admitted the R1T has 2 motorcycle batteries. He wasn't aware of any easy place to connect up a winch to 12v or 400v (he hadn't heard of 400v winches). All this makes has me convinced that solution won't be coming along any time s00n. Even the aftermarket is going to have a tough time, unless a dedicated 12v battery is part of the setup.
Sponsored

Last edited: