Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Under Canvass is a tremendous company and great partner for Rivian.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Under Canvass is a tremendous company and great partner for Rivian.
... If you're willing to pay more to "camp" than stay in a hotel. This is glamping on steroids.

I'll be reserving an electric hookup site through recreation.gov still :)

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
... If you're willing to pay more to "camp" than stay in a hotel. This is glamping on steroids.

I'll be reserving an electric hookup site through recreation.gov still :)
I do tent camping with family few times a year but never heard of them. After looking at their price I realized why I didn't ?

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
I don't disagree with the commentary that UC might be a bit premium priced. You can still sleep on your bed top tent, just don't break a leg taking a leak at night.

But as an investor now in both companies, I'm good with it. It's an even better brand and lifestyle partner for Rivian, particularly in getting Rivian chargers into and around the US Natty Parks.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

particularly in getting Rivian chargers into and around the US Natty Parks.
So long as staying in a $250/night tent isn't compulsory for charger use.

Why don't we focus on getting them into the parks, and nearby at shopping centers/breweries/other areas? Under Canvas is intentionally remote.

Underwhirled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, RIT
Occupation
Architect
I‘d like to see Rivian partner with Autocamp at their different locations. I flew out, drove over the mountains and stayed at their Yosemite location. It was amazing. It was less of a true camping experience (luxury custom airstreams), but it was an amazing experience.

If I’m going to road trip to their other locations, I’ll need a charger. ;)

Autocamp

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

just don't break a leg taking a leak at night.
Easy solution....don't leave the tent to take a leak. It's all about the trajectory!

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

So long as staying in a $250/night tent isn't compulsory for charger use.

Why don't we focus on getting them into the parks, and nearby at shopping centers/breweries/other areas? Under Canvas is intentionally remote.
Hahaha Hate to break it to ya, but if you zoom in the sign in the middle says "Under Canvas Guests Only" in smaller print. Kinda BS if you are going out there to charge up on your way to get somewhere.

RivRev

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
To me, this is just another example of Rivian choosing to focus on shallow branding rather than practicality. Under Canvas is an Instagram model's wet dream where they pretend to be outdoorsy just to get one highly edited shot to post for likes. Very few outdoors(wo)men, overlanders, etc. visit Under Canvas sites, and I can't imagine Under Canvas's annual visitor count is that high. I mean this is better than nothing, but I feel like there are better partnerships and endeavors to pursue that have more traffic and usefulness.
Maybe I'm old-school and/or gatekeeping the outdoors, but I do think this could be a case of too many tech millennials working at Rivian? Or Rivian knows exactly what they are doing, knows Under Canvas's visitor counts and growth strategy, and are positioning their brand for the next generation.
Everyone I know that is age 25-35 and in New York or San Francisco that "loves the outdoors" also loves Under Canvas. But they are also the same people that do it for the 'gram and have little to no outdoor code of ethics or experience and often are a detriment to the experience of others. I guess that is really Rivian's market though...weekenders with too much money. I just hope that doesn't become their identity.

All that being said, the more people that have access to and learn to appreciate the outdoors, the better! I just am biased towards Under Canvas and what I believe it promotes.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I’ve got a canvas tent (Springbar). Could Rivian get me a charger to put outside the entrance? Oh and an R1S to go with it!

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

My 14 y.o. son can arc it like a Las Vegas fountain. His dad cannot.
You just have to adjust your trajectory to account for diminished velocity.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
I am a part-time resident of Moab and I can certify that this is at the very least an illogical marketing move. Moab has plenty of free charging. The UC chargers are completely useless other than for UC guests and who tf takes a Rivian to Moab and stays at UC? I think most people would rather stay in a hotel, van, or tent. You can literally camp for free (in your vehicle) around the corner from this place and get free 50 kw DCFC in town. I get the demo that does glamping, but for me and quite a few others it's completely antithetical to the idea of "camping" and when it's hot you're going to be wishing for AC. Also, you can get far more spectacular campsites for $0-$20 / night than what UC has to offer. I can see those chargers mostly used by the Tesla/Chevy Bolt crowd for the next few years which would be pretty ironic. Also, the drive between SLC and Moab is a stretch for the regular Rivian battery pack without hitting the EA charger in Green River. I get that Rivian is trying to do their own thing but at some point they should consider shelving some of their very expensive and ambitious charging network plans for the sake of practicality. This kind of news just makes them seem clueless.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
To me, this is just another example of Rivian choosing to focus on shallow branding rather than practicality. Under Canvas is an Instagram model's wet dream where they pretend to be outdoorsy just to get one highly edited shot to post for likes. Very few outdoors(wo)men, overlanders, etc. visit Under Canvas sites, and I can't imagine Under Canvas's annual visitor count is that high. I mean this is better than nothing, but I feel like there are better partnerships and endeavors to pursue that have more traffic and usefulness.
Maybe I'm old-school and/or gatekeeping the outdoors, but I do think this could be a case of too many tech millennials working at Rivian? Or Rivian knows exactly what they are doing, knows Under Canvas's visitor counts and growth strategy, and are positioning their brand for the next generation.
Everyone I know that is age 25-35 and in New York or San Francisco that "loves the outdoors" also loves Under Canvas. But they are also the same people that do it for the 'gram and have little to no outdoor code of ethics or experience and often are a detriment to the experience of others. I guess that is really Rivian's market though...weekenders with too much money. I just hope that doesn't become their identity.

All that being said, the more people that have access to and learn to appreciate the outdoors, the better! I just am biased towards Under Canvas and what I believe it promotes.
I think it's more likely to taint their brand more than anything. Everyone knows San Fran and NYC people don't drive enough to buy $80k vehicles.
Sponsored