First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Does it really force you to sign up for the Rivian insurance as he says in the article? WTF?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
What a crybaby.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Does it really force you to sign up for the Rivian insurance as he says in the article? WTF?
Absolutely not. Is it in the app? Yes. Is it more streamlined to do so? Yes. Is it cheaper? YMMV

Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Paraphrasing for those who donā€™t want to read:

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Absolutely not. It's bonkers he thinks it does.

Source: Just finished my 8 steps yesterday, and I was never forced to sign up for their insurance. There was a VERY clear option to simply upload POI from your own insurer instead.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Absolutely not. It's bonkers he thinks it does.

Source: Just finished my 8 steps yesterday, and I was never forced to sign up for their insurance. There was a VERY clear option to simply upload POI from your own insurer instead.
Truth. I have my own issues with the delivery, but this article seems remarkably petulant to me.

Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Agree about his complaints regarding lack of visibility to expected delivery timing. That continues to need work.

The rest is just whining, or downright wrong. The 8 steps took me maybe a total of 30 minutes to complete, with zero issues. And no, you're not required to use their insurance.

Getting a bum charger stinks I'm sure, but they clearly made it right, and even sent someone to his house to deal with it directly. And yet he still complains.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Thank you for clearing up the insurance question. That sounded very odd to me. Iā€˜m sure Rivianā€™s purchase steps are far from perfect, but I find it impossible to believe it still isnā€™t a huge improvement over the OLD purchase process at a dealer, which seemed like it was designed for maximum pain.

Spork8

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Sounds like I took delivery around the same time frame as him. I had zero issues, aside from my guide never talking to me (and still no word on some questions)... The graphics for the insurance step does steer you towards picking Rivian Insurance (they were awesome to work with, but they aren't competitive yet and were upfront about that with me) but it clearly does not force you too. Other than that, the 8 steps were extremely simple.

I do wish they were more competitive in the trade-in realm. Vroom offered me like $400 more, Carvana a lot less, and local dealers were just unable to work with me on anything like quotes only being good for a few days and a couple hundred miles or admitting that they're low balling me because I'm not buying from them. But when Rivian did take my old truck, they only made sure they could load it up on the flatbed.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
In May, I received a call from a different, equally friendly Rivian employee at the company's delivery center in El Segundo, California, just 0.5 mile from MotorTrend HQ. "Your truck's here. We're so happy you went with such a bold colorway." Whoa, whoa, whoa. It's here? (Also, I still needed to sell the Ford, which I was able to do rather quickly for nearly 50 percent more than Rivian offered.) Because I was leaving for Pikes Peak practice, we settled on the day after I returned, June 14, for handover. Sunday evening, June 12, I'm told by my friendly Guide to make sure I bring a certified or cashier's check with me on Tuesday. "What?!?" I rudely exclaim. "You're telling me this now? I'm in Colorado, and flying back tomorrow, landing after my bank is closed and I have to work the morning of the 14th? How can I get a cashier's check?"
So... you were told you'd get the keys to an $85,000 truck a full month in advance and thought, well, I guess they'll just hand it over without paying for it? Then got mad because you hadn't given any thought to how you were going to pay for it? Got it.
Sponsored