Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Just for fun ?

I was playing with the color configurator and happened to screenshot halfway between the transition from Compass Yellow to Red Canyon. My wife will hate me but I think I love it? Can we can one of the other colors and make this an option? ?

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Orange 1616179893794
Sponsored

Last edited:

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Just for fun ?

I was playing with the color configurator and happened to screenshot halfway between rhe transition from Compass Yellow to Red Canyon. My wife will hate me but I think I love it? Can we can one of the other colors and make this an option? ?

1616179893794.png
You're a very sick man.

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Just for fun ?

I was playing with the color configurator and happened to screenshot halfway between rhe transition from Compass Yellow to Red Canyon. My wife will hate me but I think I love it? Can we can one of the other colors and make this an option? ?

1616179893794.png
kylealden, That's an ingenious way to get new color options!

I know some OSU Beavers & Cowboys who might like that. Probably some Bronco fans, as well!

By the way, how do you keep Beavers out of your back yard?

Put up goalposts!

(That was a lot funnier to me before OSU won the football game formerly known as "the Civil War" this year, as well as having knocked the Ducks out of the PAC-12 tournament. At least it's nice that the regular season and tournament trophies continue to reside in the state of Oregon.)

I'll still root for the Beavers, at least when they're not playing my Ducks!

Good luck to everyone and your team during March Madness. Great to have it back this year. Bummer the seats are empty. Oh well, next year...

"And now, back to your thread sponser... Take it away, Kyle!"

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Just for fun ?

I was playing with the color configurator and happened to screenshot halfway between the transition from Compass Yellow to Red Canyon. My wife will hate me but I think I love it? Can we can one of the other colors and make this an option? ?

1616179893794.png
I think that's a lot better than the current Red.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Just for fun ?

1616179893794.png
If Rivian ever made this an option, I'm sure they'd go "oh no problem, 1x Canyon Red plus 1x Compass Yellow = $4,000 please, thank you, you can collect your Riviot sticker on the way out".

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

If Rivian ever made this an option, I'm sure they'd go "oh no problem, 1x Canyon Red plus 1x Compass Yellow = $4,000 please, thank you, you can collect your Riviot sticker on the way out".
That had better be one very cool sticker!

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

What can I say, I've always had a soft spot for the ugliest Honda Element colors ?
I had one of the orange elements, and a red one too. Now my wife has an orange crosstrek. If this was a color I would probably pick it. Have the blue selected for now.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
1616191023510.png

Range Rover....

But it could be worse:
1616191187186.png
Point taken - I think Tesla Model X's color upcharges are also higher, although not as high as the Range's. But I will never forgive Rivian for charging the maximum $2.5k for a color (Rivian Blue) that they used to paint all their factory robots with.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Orange 1616192367264

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Point taken - I think Tesla Model X's color upcharges are also higher, although not as high as the Range's. But I will never forgive Rivian for charging the maximum $2.5k for a color (Rivian Blue) that they used to paint all their factory robots with.
1616192367264.png
This is a lifestyle brand. Pricing isn't anchored to actual cost. Pricing is based on projections of what customers will pay, as well as brand image. It's "Rivian Blue" -- this color has special meaning to Rivian and is one of the characteristics they've chosen to identify their brand. That is why it carries a premium price.

At first, I ruled Rivian Blue out, on the basis of cost, but now I'm re-considering it, as I feel it will be prove one of the more desirable colors (along with Launch Green).

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
This is a lifestyle brand. Pricing isn't anchored to actual cost. Pricing is based on projections of what customers will pay, as well as brand image. It's "Rivian Blue" -- this color has special meaning to Rivian and is one of the characteristics they've chosen to identify their brand. That is why it carries a premium price.

At first, I ruled Rivian Blue out, on the basis of cost, but now I'm re-considering it, as I feel it will be prove one of the more desirable colors (along with Launch Green).
I get all of that - and in general they've done a great job curating a brand image that people want to pay a premium for (myself included). But I might have missed it, what exactly is the story behind the special meaning that Rivian Blue has to the company?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I get all of that - and in general they've done a great job curating a brand image that people want to pay a premium for (myself included). But I might have missed it, what exactly is the story behind the special meaning that Rivian Blue has to the company?
RJ just really likes it.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Why is red associated with Verizon? White with Apple? Green with Microsoft?

I donā€™t know if thereā€™s a catchy story other than ā€œRivian liked that particular shade of blueā€. Whatever the reason, theyā€™ve chosen to have that color represent their brand.

Have you watched Better Call Saul? If not, I highly recommend it, and Breaking Bad. Anyway, thereā€™s an episode where Saul intentionally copies the ā€œimageā€ of his former employer and in one scene they make a big deal about the particular shade of blue that he copied and how it was a trademark of their brand. Funny stuff.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Why is red associated with Verizon? White with Apple? Green with Microsoft?
If you were making this argument for compass yellow, youā€™d have a much stronger case. Have you seen these companiesā€™ branding? Verizon has red in their logo. Appleā€™s logo is white. I donā€™t know about Microsoft, but Xbox certainly is all about the green, just like PlayStation is blue. All their materials and websites are predominantly designed with these colors. Where on Rivianā€™s website or logo do you see even a drop of blue (except in the configurator)? Their logo and branding is primarily yellow, with white and black as the complements.

Also worth mentioning that on the product side, companies cannot aim to achieve a ubiquitous product color (e.g appleā€™s white iPod or AirPods) by up charging for it. It has to be the norm, not the exception. So on both counts, Iā€™m not seeing the blue having a strong case for being rivianā€™s color.
Sponsored