Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Best quote:
“I’ve never been happier in my life.”
Well said, young man, well said.
They didn’t film the part when he had a major meltdown when the Rivian guys drove it away after the photo shoot!

I will fight back against definitions being added to the dictionary due to mis-use until the day I die.
Google is a verb. Look it up... or Google it. :CWL:
Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I was thinking the same thing. It's another teaser video, with no real new information (though seems to confirm a few things). But at what point to your share real hard facts with your audience? I was in a mood last week because of the same thing.

Also, I had not heard about Lucid delays until you posted that. Given how far along their production line seemed (especially as compared to what we've seen from Rivian), and the announcement of their SPAC, I'm very surprised to hear they've announced a delay.

Did they give a reason?
My hope is that all the recent “teaser” postings are just that - teasers to get us excited for a major “production specs” reveal that’s coming VERY soon!

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Of course, I could just plan around my current vehicle and adapt when more info comes out, but I'd rather just have the info I need.

Still very excited, just ready to get some questions answered.
I understand where you're coming from. I was in somewhat of a similar boat last summer because my Mini Cooper lease was scheduled to end in Oct 2021, and I had no idea at the time (before there was any inkling of Launch Editions) when I would get my Rivian. I got anxious not knowing whether the timing would line up, and I had a decision to make because I couldn't swap out of my lease with less than 12 months left on it. In the end I just decided to swap out of that lease and swapped in to my Lexus, which runs me through June 2022. This way, even if I change my mind and decide that I don't want an LE, I can wait for an Explore package I should be covered.

My advice to you is to plan with a crapload of flex time baked in :). That way if it's delayed, you'll be covered, and if it's early, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
It was in the investor presentation, just said that start of production and start of deliveries were second half of the year. I think there was an investor's call this morning (or at some point today) so maybe more details will be kicking around later or tomorrow, but I don't know any more than that right now.

The CEO has been on TV a few times over the last few weeks and he reiterated Spring, and they have had other public statements very recently that said Spring (as recently as last week), so it is definitely new and surprising info.

I will admit that my stance was exactly that until recently. I'm starting to steer more towards getting antsy.

I think it is because we are starting to plan out things like summer and fall trips, and when we take delivery will impact some of those plans. There are also feature / specification / capability information that will impact some of that as well. For example, I'm planning a trip to Great Sand Dunes National Park in August or September. Timing isn't that important, but you can't book a campsite until 6 months out, so August is currently in play. The route I take, how I camp, what accessories will I be able to install in time, the shuttle system for the gear tunnel, and a lot of minor details start impacting my ability to finalize this trip. Of course, I could just plan around my current vehicle and adapt when more info comes out, but I'd rather just have the info I need.

Still very excited, just ready to get some questions answered.
It is disturbing that Lucid, so close to delivery dates, announces a 3 or more month delay. Will RIVIAN do the same in April? Is that why we are not getting any updates? For planning purposes I’m figuring RIVIAN will deliver 3-5 months later then they have announced.

dixosw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Do we know that the frunk/hood will be fully powered for opening and closing? Or will it be like the tailgate and a soft, strut-assisted release and a manual close? I'm trying to avoid using the word damper or dampen. ;)
I did learn one thing from the video. I now want a Forest Green R1T instead of Limestone. But that will change when they release the next video with another color.

Sponsored

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Let me express my real frustration (it has nothing to do with etymology).

That was a nice video. Heartwarming. High production values. Must have cost a lot of time and money. The only thing I got out of it was that pressing a button will lower the tailgate slowly. There was a lot more to be learned from the 30 second videos that RJ keeps tweeting out.

Does this bother anybody else?

I think I'm particularly annoyed because in the last couple days Lucid, despite pushing back deliveries to the second half of the year, just released more information that we have ever seen from Rivian, and Hyundai seems to have released a fair amount on the Ioniq 5, despite not going on sale until this summer. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today.
Although we can infer through this video that the tailgate will slowly lower through the press of a button, this video does not at all confirm it.

There has plenty of features and tweaks identified in little videos like this that have been since removed/altered in some form.

Until it gets printed on their page or listed in the FAQs section I remain skeptical.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I understand where you're coming from. I was in somewhat of a similar boat last summer because my Mini Cooper lease was scheduled to end in Oct 2021, and I had no idea at the time (before there was any inkling of Launch Editions) when I would get my Rivian. I got anxious not knowing whether the timing would line up, and I had a decision to make because I couldn't swap out of my lease with less than 12 months left on it. In the end I just decided to swap out of that lease and swapped in to my Lexus, which runs me through June 2022. This way, even if I change my mind and decide that I don't want an LE, I can wait for an Explore package I should be covered.

My advice to you is to plan with a crapload of flex time baked in :). That way if it's delayed, you'll be covered, and if it's early, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
As I read the first paragraph, I thought your advice was going to be "buy another vehicle for 6 months", and I started to think about what it would be, and then I got the second paragraph...

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It is disturbing that Lucid, so close to delivery dates, announces a 3 or more month delay. Will RIVIAN do the same in April? Is that why we are not getting any updates? For planning purposes I’m figuring RIVIAN will deliver 3-5 months later then they have announced.
Let's please not start extrapolating from Lucid to Rivian. My personal WAG is (and has been for quite some time now) that Lucid will require more funding to actually start series production. The billion or so they got in 2019 was probably just enough to get them to this point. Rivian is well ahead of Lucid in terms of funding and doesn't need to raise any additional capital to enter series production. Could there be something common (such as chip shortages) that might equally delay Rivian? Sure, absolutely anything is possible but let's not start jumping to baseless conclusions.

Always a good idea to plan for the worst and hope for the best!

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Do we know that the frunk/hood will be fully powered for opening and closing? Or will it be like the tailgate and a soft, strut-assisted release and a manual close? I'm trying to avoid using the word damper or dampen. ;)
I did learn one thing from the video. I now want a Forest Green R1T instead of Limestone. But that will change when they release the next video with another color.
As far as I’m aware, the frunk is fully powered for opening and closing

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The counter argument is that since a word is used to convey meaning, as soon as the common meaning of a word changes, the word has been redefined. That would technically make @cohall correct... I used to work in scrutineering for the SCCA with a group of automotive engineers, and the use of damped vs dampened was always a heated debate.
You're okay with "heated" debate but not with dampened motion? Maybe you might realize one day the debate wouldn't have existed if you weren't in the wrong side of history.
Sponsored