Sponsored

Rivian Official Video: The Long Weekend Wyoming

Jsidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
I have not seen any indication that pressing a button will wet the tailgate, but it does appear to be damped.

Dampers damp, they don't dampen.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Official Video: The Long Weekend Wyoming Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 11.55.30 AM

Wait...now I am confused...?
Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I will fight back against definitions being added to the dictionary due to mis-use until the day I die.
Dampen as a transitive verb meaning "make less lively or intense" was added to the OED in the late 1800's.

At what point do you just accept that is now the meaning of a word? 200 years+?

:)

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 11.55.30 AM.png

Wait...now I am confused...?
The FCA example that someone posted a few days back also said dampened. It's just poor new grammar. Decades ago, automotive suspension parts were called dampers. They damped suspension movement. Then people started saying dampen, which means to wet. There was, at the time, no such thing as a dampener, but it just makes sense that the thing that dampens is a dampener, so now both are commonly used.

Just like the fact that, although 'literally' and 'figuratively' are opposites, 'figuratively' is now an alternate definition of 'literally', because enough people mis-used literally that it became an accepted definition.

It drives me crazy, for no really good reason.

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

I almost cried.
All these contents coming out just recently made me so happy!
It was worth the wait. ?

Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Dampen as a transitive verb meaning "make less lively or intense" was added to the OED in the late 1800's.

At what point do you just accept that is now the meaning of a word? 200 years+?

:)
Pouring water on something will make it less lively.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Let me express my real frustration (it has nothing to do with etymology).

That was a nice video. Heartwarming. High production values. Must have cost a lot of time and money. The only thing I got out of it was that pressing a button will lower the tailgate slowly. There was a lot more to be learned from the 30 second videos that RJ keeps tweeting out.

Does this bother anybody else?

I think I'm particularly annoyed because in the last couple days Lucid, despite pushing back deliveries to the second half of the year, just released more information that we have ever seen from Rivian, and Hyundai seems to have released a fair amount on the Ioniq 5, despite not going on sale until this summer. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today.

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Yes, it bothers me as well. I get the PR fluff and it needs to be done, but you already sold out of all your trucks in 2021. How about giving some information to us, the people who are going to spend $80k on a truck

Jsidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
The FCA example that someone posted a few days back also said dampened. It's just poor new grammar. Decades ago, automotive suspension parts were called dampers. They damped suspension movement. Then people started saying dampen, which means to wet. There was, at the time, no such thing as a dampener, but it just makes sense that the thing that dampens is a dampener, so now both are commonly used.

Just like the fact that, although 'literally' and 'figuratively' are opposites, 'figuratively' is now an alternate definition of 'literally', because enough people mis-used literally that it became an accepted definition.

It drives me crazy, for no really good reason.
Well hey, you learn something new everyday! Thanks for the quick education, Mike!

I work in product marketing, so our digital assets I build every day have to be grammatically perfect, but my everyday usage isn't always as such ;). Like you, I also get a chuckle out of the 'literally vs. figuratively' (mis)usage I see.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Well hey, you learn something new everyday! Thanks for the quick education, Mike!

I work in product marketing, so our digital assets I build every day have to be grammatically perfect, but my everyday usage isn't always as such ;). Like you, I also get a chuckle out of the 'literally vs. figuratively' (mis)usage I see.
The counter argument is that since a word is used to convey meaning, as soon as the common meaning of a word changes, the word has been redefined. That would technically make @cohall correct... I used to work in scrutineering for the SCCA with a group of automotive engineers, and the use of damped vs dampened was always a heated debate.

Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T

I think I'm particularly annoyed because in the last couple days Lucid, despite pushing back deliveries to the second half of the year, just released more information that we have ever seen from Rivian, and Hyundai seems to have released a fair amount on the Ioniq 5, despite not going on sale until this summer. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today.
I was thinking the same thing. It's another teaser video, with no real new information (though seems to confirm a few things). But at what point to your share real hard facts with your audience? I was in a mood last week because of the same thing.

Also, I had not heard about Lucid delays until you posted that. Given how far along their production line seemed (especially as compared to what we've seen from Rivian), and the announcement of their SPAC, I'm very surprised to hear they've announced a delay.

Did they give a reason?

SleepySheepie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, FJ40, MG TF1500, Model S, Lotus
I'm not bothered. Just excited.

Yes, I'll eventually need a lot more information to make an informed buying decision. However, do I need that information today? No. If they were asking me to commit today without that information it would be a different story.

For now I'm happy to see more of the fluffy videos that get me excited to eventually be on an adventure of my own!

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I was thinking the same thing. It's another teaser video, with no real new information (though seems to confirm a few things). But at what point to your share real hard facts with your audience? I was in a mood last week because of the same thing.

Also, I had not heard about Lucid delays until you posted that. Given how far along their production line seemed (especially as compared to what we've seen from Rivian), and the announcement of their SPAC, I'm very surprised to hear they've announced a delay.

Did they give a reason?
It was in the investor presentation, just said that start of production and start of deliveries were second half of the year. I think there was an investor's call this morning (or at some point today) so maybe more details will be kicking around later or tomorrow, but I don't know any more than that right now.

The CEO has been on TV a few times over the last few weeks and he reiterated Spring, and they have had other public statements very recently that said Spring (as recently as last week), so it is definitely new and surprising info.

I'm not bothered. Just excited.

Yes, I'll eventually need a lot more information to make an informed buying decision. However, do I need that information today? No. If they were asking me to commit today without that information it would be a different story.

For now I'm happy to see more of the fluffy videos that get me excited to eventually be on an adventure of my own!
I will admit that my stance was exactly that until recently. I'm starting to steer more towards getting antsy.

I think it is because we are starting to plan out things like summer and fall trips, and when we take delivery will impact some of those plans. There are also feature / specification / capability information that will impact some of that as well. For example, I'm planning a trip to Great Sand Dunes National Park in August or September. Timing isn't that important, but you can't book a campsite until 6 months out, so August is currently in play. The route I take, how I camp, what accessories will I be able to install in time, the shuttle system for the gear tunnel, and a lot of minor details start impacting my ability to finalize this trip. Of course, I could just plan around my current vehicle and adapt when more info comes out, but I'd rather just have the info I need.

Still very excited, just ready to get some questions answered.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Don't even get me started on the overuse and misuse of the word "literally"! Every time I hear somebody shoehorn the words "literally" and "like" into each and every sentence, sometimes like literally several times, it like literally dampens my optimism for what the future will literally look like.?
Sponsored