Electric Rivilution

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Model X P90D
via Teslarati

Amazon-backed Rivian surpasses Volkswagen as third-most-valuable automaker in the world

November 16, 2021

Amazon-backed Rivian Automotive (NASDAQ: RIVN) has suddenly surpassed German car company Volkswagen as the third-most-valuable automaker in the world.

Rivian’s $142.08 billion market cap surpassed Volkswagen’s $139.52 billion valuation on Tuesday morning following Rivian’s 7.69% increase in stock price during early trading hours. It makes Rivian the third-most-valuable car company globally, behind Tesla with a $1.046 trillion market cap and Toyota, whose valuation sits at $262.54 billion.

Market caps for automakers have been tricky to dial in on over the past few years. After Tesla became the most valued automaker in the world in 2020 during its meteoric 700% rise in stock price last year, valuations seemed to be one of the more interesting metrics to track the progress of a company. While Tesla is often looked at as just an automaker, despite its ventures in solar energy and energy storage, its trillion-dollar valuation is not always agreed upon by some because of its relatively low volume production and delivery figures. However, the company is the only automaker on Earth to effectively produce electric, luxury powertrains in the figures that it does. Tesla has also established itself as the leader in EVs by a significant margin through software, performance, and battery technology.

However, Rivian has come in the matter of just five trading days to become the third-most-valuable car company globally. Rivian has completed the deliveries of just a few hundred units of its R1T pickup, its first electric vehicle. However, the company has generous financial backing from Amazon, which disclosed a 20% ownership in the company in its most recent 10-Q filing with the SEC. Rivian is also manufacturing 100,000 electric delivery vans for Amazon as a part of the company’s Climate Pledge. The 100,000 vans will be delivered to Amazon by the end of the decade, with the first 10,000 units to be built by the end of the year.

Rivian’s IPO launched last Wednesday with initial pricing at $78 per share. However, the company’s stock opened for public trading around 1 PM ET with the stock trading well above the initial pricing. Shares popped over 60% to levels of around $120 per share. They settled 37% higher than the initial pricing at $106.75 when they were finally available for public trading.

At the time of writing, Rivian shares were trading at $163.16, up over 9% on the day.

Disclosure: Joey Klender is not a RIVN Shareholder.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian now 3rd most valuable automaker in the world Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 2.43.21 PM
Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
That was quick! Now they just need to start shipping vehicles in VOLUME!

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian now 3rd most valuable automaker in the world success-the-mummy

Bembridge Scholars are the worst. lol ?✌❤⚡??

(Then tomorrow it drops 50 points because of scandal update doh!?!) Buckle-up!

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
via Teslarati

Amazon-backed Rivian surpasses Volkswagen as third-most-valuable automaker in the world

November 16, 2021

Amazon-backed Rivian Automotive (NASDAQ: RIVN) has suddenly surpassed German car company Volkswagen as the third-most-valuable automaker in the world.

Rivian’s $142.08 billion market cap surpassed Volkswagen’s $139.52 billion valuation on Tuesday morning following Rivian’s 7.69% increase in stock price during early trading hours. It makes Rivian the third-most-valuable car company globally, behind Tesla with a $1.046 trillion market cap and Toyota, whose valuation sits at $262.54 billion.

Market caps for automakers have been tricky to dial in on over the past few years. After Tesla became the most valued automaker in the world in 2020 during its meteoric 700% rise in stock price last year, valuations seemed to be one of the more interesting metrics to track the progress of a company. While Tesla is often looked at as just an automaker, despite its ventures in solar energy and energy storage, its trillion-dollar valuation is not always agreed upon by some because of its relatively low volume production and delivery figures. However, the company is the only automaker on Earth to effectively produce electric, luxury powertrains in the figures that it does. Tesla has also established itself as the leader in EVs by a significant margin through software, performance, and battery technology.

However, Rivian has come in the matter of just five trading days to become the third-most-valuable car company globally. Rivian has completed the deliveries of just a few hundred units of its R1T pickup, its first electric vehicle. However, the company has generous financial backing from Amazon, which disclosed a 20% ownership in the company in its most recent 10-Q filing with the SEC. Rivian is also manufacturing 100,000 electric delivery vans for Amazon as a part of the company’s Climate Pledge. The 100,000 vans will be delivered to Amazon by the end of the decade, with the first 10,000 units to be built by the end of the year.

Rivian’s IPO launched last Wednesday with initial pricing at $78 per share. However, the company’s stock opened for public trading around 1 PM ET with the stock trading well above the initial pricing. Shares popped over 60% to levels of around $120 per share. They settled 37% higher than the initial pricing at $106.75 when they were finally available for public trading.

At the time of writing, Rivian shares were trading at $163.16, up over 9% on the day.

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 2.43.21 PM.jpg
That volume at 4PM...signs of more "smart" money piling on...

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I sold 52 shares (original I invested) just to pull out the actual amount I put in, the rest can not goto $30 a share it will still be something.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Beyond insanity! I also turned over enough shares to cover my ante-in with a bit more for short-term gain taxes. Still have a few shares for no other reason than keeping claim to being an investor and laughing at the craziness. When reality hits and stock drops below IPO it won't really bother me

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Beyond insanity! I also turned over enough shares to cover my ante-in with a bit more for short-term gain taxes. Still have a few shares for no other reason than keeping claim to being an investor and laughing at the craziness. When reality hits and stock drops below IPO it won't really bother me
Funny, those are the same things I was saying about Tesla back in 2016 when I bought my Model S.

If I bought 10k in 2016 it would be 151k today…. Oops

Still waiting for a price I think is reasonable for that stock…. I guess the joke was on me, you can’t win them all…?

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
via Teslarati

November 16, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 2.43.21 PM.jpg
Sorry, but that’s just dumb. It’s going to drop after the initial enthusiasm pushes the bubble. I think it’s overvalued by at least 3x.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Damn you sound super salty.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Sorry, but that’s just dumb. It’s going to drop after the initial enthusiasm pushes the bubble. I think it’s overvalued by at least 3x.
Come on now, don’t let logic get in the way….

Tesla P/E 339.59
Ford P/E 27.75
GM. P/E 8.39

Still waiting for Tesla to come back to a reasonable value…..

eemri

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60 Polestar Engineered
Clubs

Imagine what COULD/MIGHT happen when they do? ?
Haha they'll be worth much less then! Look at the facts: companies that make a lot of cars aren't worth a lot. Companies that don't make a lot of cars (*cough*Tesla*cough*Rivian) are worth a lot! The trick is sadly to not make more cars

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Haha they'll be worth much less then! Look at the facts: companies that make a lot of cars aren't worth a lot. Companies that don't make a lot of cars (*cough*Tesla*cough*Rivian) are worth a lot! The trick is sadly to not make more cars
Maybe the valuation is an indictment of union-encumbered legacy-auto and horrid-effort from government incentive programs to *strongly* encourage migration to EVs.
Sponsored