Rivian Needs a No Re-Sale Clause Now

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
So Rivian has done the right thing and reinstated the pre-order pricing for all of us that had an order on March 1. It now needs to add a one-year no resale clause in the sales contract to prevent people grandfathered into the old pricing from taking advantage of their discount to profit from non-pre-order customers. (Rumor is that Ford is doing this with the Lightning and it is a routine clause for many fleet sales, e.g. Police department SUVs.) IMO people should not be able to take advantage of the discounted price for the purpose of undercutting higher-dollar sales Rivian would otherwise make to those who are not grandfathered.

EDIT: Okay, okay! I did not know this would generate quite so much negative energy! Let me amend my suggestion: Rivian should implement a one-year ROFR to buy-back the vehicle at the sale price if you decide to sell it. Is that more acceptable?
Sponsored

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I dislike scalping, but I don't think these clauses have much value. Aside from that one example of a Ford GT and a notable individual, I don't think they've effectively been used.

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
I was thinking that the outcome of this is that we will have trucks that won’t immediately have depreciation. In fact they will have “appreciation?”

which is nice. I assume Rivian will not allow preorder transfers anymore.

Tall_Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban, Porsche 911
Such a clause is arguably illegal and unenforceable. What if a buyer suffers a financial mishap? You're going to make them go bankrupt because they can't sell their $100k truck? Please don't say it would be handled on a case-by-case basis. The law doesn't not look kindly upon such restraints of trade.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So Rivian has done the right thing and reinstated the pre-order pricing for all of us that had an order on March 1. It now needs to add a one-year no resale clause in the sales contract to prevent people grandfathered into the old pricing from taking advantage of their discount to profit from non-pre-order customers. (Rumor is that Ford is doing this with the Lightning and it is a routine clause for many fleet sales, e.g. Police department SUVs.) IMO people should not be able to take advantage of the discounted price for the purpose of undercutting higher-dollar sales Rivian would otherwise make to those who are not grandfathered.
We don't have any information that they do or don't already have it.

Sponsored

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
That would make me uncomfortable - what if my financial conditions change? I would probably be fine with Rivian buying back the truck at price paid to pass along to another reservation holder.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Such a clause is arguably illegal and unenforceable. What if a buyer suffers a financial mishap? You're going to make them go bankrupt because they can't sell their $100k truck? Please don't say it would be handled on a case-by-case basis. The law doesn't not look kindly upon such restraints of trade.
Usually the no-resale clause just bans you from buying another vehicle from them for x period of time. If you're having a financial mishap, you shouldn't be able to afford buying a new Rivian in the next year, or you didn't really need to sell it in the first place.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Nah... I have zero plans to sell my truck but I don't particularly like someone telling me what I can and can't do.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

What this does, unintentionally, is effectively give every preorder gap insurance on their Rivian if they finance. Instead of an immediate 20-30% appreciation, our Rivians will have an immediate 15-20% appreciation upon purchase.

Sponsored

Tall_Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban, Porsche 911
Usually the no-resale clause just bans you from buying another vehicle from them for x period of time. If you're having a financial mishap, you shouldn't be able to afford buying a new Rivian in the next year, or you didn't really need to sell it in the first place.
That's not what the original post contemplated. But such a black-balling clause would also be difficult to enforce. And practically speaking, how do you police for this? Anyone proposing these clauses needs to drop it.

OP
OP
TexasBob

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
These are neither illegal nor unenforceable nor even very uncommon. They are routinely used for discounted fleet vehicles, Ford had a similar clause for the GT which it vigorously enforced, and it is putting one in for the Lightning. https://fordauthority.com/2022/01/2...ng-will-come-with-one-year-no-sale-provision/

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
If there was a clause it should only prevent you from selling the car ABOVE what you paid for it. No restrictions whatsoever except if you paid $80k you can't sell it for 90k.

The enforcement is such a nightmare, though.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

The preorder agreement already has a no-resellers clause that gives Rivian the ability to unilaterally cancel any preorder they believe is being made for resale purposes.

As far as enforcement, I do think it would be difficult to force someone to keep a vehicle they cannot financially afford. I just can't see a court doing that. I would imagine any attempt at a no-resale clause would require a buyer to return the vehicle to Rivian for a pre-determined price, not force someone to actually keep it.

Regardless, the cost of enforcement, including the brand damage of Rivian suing its customers, would far outweigh any benefit for Rivian.
Sponsored