Sponsored

Rivian Membership..... It's January 16 so.......

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
In the 8 car pile up videos, I think that was a driver not paying attention and the car attempted to pull over and stop, but obviously did so in the worst area, in the worst way.
My friend and I watched that numerous times and came to the same conclusion.

Feel bad for the people behind him that got hurt.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
In the 8 car pile up videos, I think that was a driver not paying attention and the car attempted to pull over and stop, but obviously did so in the worst area, in the worst way.
The video shows phantom braking, which might be a surprise if you think your car has "full self driving" capability.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

You can ignore Rivian's marketing weasel-speak and go straight to their S-1 that they filed with the SEC when they went public. Rivian expects to charge customers $10k over ten years for improved ADAS. "Driver+" will be the standard safety features that come with every vehicle. "Driver+ Enhanced" or whatever silly name they come up with will include the upgrades needed to bring the Rivian ADAS up to speed with everyone else's. They also plan on charging $5500 over ten years for, "infotainment, connectivity, diagnostics, and other services." We'll start seeing improvements to the aforementioned features once Rivian finishes the backend to manage the provisioning and monthly billing. Everything is going behind a paywall. Expect a $50-$125 monthly charge to get the most (dashcam, hands free ADAS, traffic, interior RGB lighting, RAN charging, LTE, Satellite Maps, Etc.) out of your Rivian. I don't like it but it's the way of the world. And to Rivian's credit, they were upfront about if from the start (if you were willing to dig through their S-1 :rolleyes: .)
I touched on the S1 comments when speaking with CS about the membership topic yesterday. They said they had nothing they could share (last to know, first to be asked) but Driver+ Extreme or whatever it's going to be called would is likely to be the halo product in their ARR (Annual Recurring Revenue) stream once they lock it down. They aren't recruiting the talent to just hemorrhage money on their salaries and give their efforts away for free.

I prefer a subscription based, hardware included approach on the Driver assist end of things. You aren't burdened with the up front cost like Teslas FSD, and you can have it for the moments when you want it, say 3 months out of the year at a slightly higher monthly premium over a full year subscription. This approach makes it easier for the end user to absorb, but also means Rivian is more likely to make money off it as all the "hardware is standard in every Rivian"

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I touched on the S1 comments when speaking with CS about the membership topic yesterday. They said they had nothing they could share (last to know, first to be asked) but Driver+ Extreme or whatever it's going to be called would is likely to be the halo product in their ARR (Annual Recurring Revenue) stream once they lock it down. They aren't recruiting the talent to just hemorrhage money on their salaries and give their efforts away for free.

I prefer a subscription based, hardware included approach on the Driver assist end of things. You aren't burdened with the up front cost like Teslas FSD, and you can have it for the moments when you want it, say 3 months out of the year at a slightly higher monthly premium over a full year subscription. This approach makes it easier for the end user to absorb, but also means Rivian is more likely to make money off it as all the "hardware is standard in every Rivian"
Tesla full self driving has has a subscription offer for about 9 months. $200 a month, cancel and reactive at any time (not sure if this is in the US only, I see you’re in Canada).

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Tesla full self driving has has a subscription offer for about 9 months. $200 a month, cancel and reactive at any time (not sure if this is in the US only, I see you’re in Canada).
So you have to pay for the hardware, and pay a subscription fee?
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Membership..... It's January 16 so....... 1674064468236

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
So you have to pay for the hardware, and pay a subscription fee?
1674064468236.png
All teslas have the hardware built in. You can pay the up front $15k for the software unlock or activate the subscription at any time during ownership and it can be cancelled at any time after activating. I tried this myself as I was curious about what FSD could offer. Had it for a few months then canceled it.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It's absolutely amazing that they are able to sell such a flawed and dangerous product. I think it's only a matter of time before the government steps in and makes them disable the "FSD" suite.
Even if they were just forced to change the name of it I think it would make a difference. Although at this point it might be too late for that.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

By that logic the Brooklyn service center is the busiest with deliveries...
Source?

I do not believe Brooklyn to be busier than SoCall and the Bay Area as a whole.

In fact, the amount of R1T and R1S I see running around on the road, I bet that Costa Mesa or El Segundo sites are busier than any other in the country. CA has the largest EV registration in the country, in addition to being largest number of vehicles in aggregate.

This forum has population from all across the country but it's a very small fraction of the total Rivian buyers.

So I still say that RAN chargers are placed where Rivian believes highest concentration of Rivian owners and where the roadtrip destinations are.

Boston to DC, while super busy roadways, do not have Tahoe, Yosemite, Sequoia or Mammoth for "Adventure" outings that Rivian says they stand for. Perhaps to the finger lakes on I-90 or Poconos on I-84 be more of candidates early on.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Given how many times they use the language like “all features standard” and “Through over-the-air updates, we’ll add more over time at no cost to you.” they will have a similar PR experience as they did with price changes if they make Driver+ a subscription for folks with pre-orders or existing vehicles already.

Grajjie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340i, Ioniq Electric, Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Source?

I do not believe Brooklyn to be busier than SoCall and the Bay Area as a whole.

In fact, the amount of R1T and R1S I see running around on the road, I bet that Costa Mesa or El Segundo sites are busier than any other in the country. CA has the largest EV registration in the country, in addition to being largest number of vehicles in aggregate.

This forum has population from all across the country but it's a very small fraction of the total Rivian buyers.

So I still say that RAN chargers are placed where Rivian believes highest concentration of Rivian owners and where the roadtrip destinations are.

Boston to DC, while super busy roadways, do not have Tahoe, Yosemite, Sequoia or Mammoth for "Adventure" outings that Rivian says they stand for. Perhaps to the finger lakes on I-90 or Poconos on I-84 be more of candidates early on.
Maybe not the busiest in terms of the overall area but with the closest other service centers being near Boston and Virginia there is a huge area that the Brooklyn center covers. I don't have a real source but that's what my service advisor was telling me when I went to service a month ago. They recently rented 2 massive lots to hold all the R1s pending delivery.

And that's true on the last point. We aren't so fortunate in the Northeast in terms of great places to adventure :(

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Given how many times they use the language like “all features standard” and “Through over-the-air updates, we’ll add more over time at no cost to you.” they will have a similar PR experience as they did with price changes if they make Driver+ a subscription for folks with pre-orders or existing vehicles already.
The way I always read the information in the S1 and their web was there would be basic features available included with the vehicle but the advanced features like hand free would be part of the subscription.

I do not know for sure where the lines will be drawn but just trying to do decipher it for my own expectations.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
The way I always read the information in the S1 and their web was there would be basic features available included with the vehicle but the advanced features like hand free would be part of the subscription.

I do not know for sure where the lines will be drawn but just trying to do decipher it for my own expectations.
Doesn't read that way to me... "Rivian Driver+ is standard on every vehicle we build. Delivering true hands-free driving assistance along with our full set of safety features, the system continually adds functionality through over-the-air updates." feels very straight forward.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Membership..... It's January 16 so....... ?hash=5d7629857d110040d74f692f0bc4c2bb
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Membership..... It's January 16 so....... Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 10.50.19 AM

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Membership..... It's January 16 so....... Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 10.49.51 AM
Sponsored