Sponsored

Rivian Membership..... It's January 16 so.......

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Membership has been another one of their communication/planning disasters. if they stick to their timeline of free LTE ending in 2023 and free charging ending in April 2023, many of us will have never gotten any of those benefits.

the more time passes the less vehicle, service, and benefits owners get. the saying goes it can only go up from here? with Rivian, its the opposite, it can only (continue to) go down from here.
Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Something like only 2 to 3 dispensers at a specific location can be reserved.
'Angry mobster' almost describes me the last time I encountered an ID4 filling to 100 and I had to wait 40 minutes
ID4 owners are possibly why companies are no longer providing free charging, because of their blatant abuses of the system.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

1350 miles? When I say close I don't mean next couple towns away. I'd need about 5 full charges to get to one. And plant is only 3 hours away. Riddle me that Batman....
I'm talking of the people in CO and CA. Maybe they might need to hit one other charger first, but it's a lot better than them being on the wrong side of the country for sure.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I'm talking of the people in CO and CA. Maybe they might need to hit one other charger first, but it's a lot better than them being on the wrong side of the country for sure.
I get it. Half the country has no RAN chargers and I don't understand how they don't see that and correct it, even if only for marketing value.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I get it. Half the country has no RAN chargers and I don't understand how they don't see that and correct it, even if only for marketing value.
C-Suite is all out of Irvine and it's obvious they are self serving. Sorry RJ. Turn up the Michigan ones and I'll change my mind.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
C-Suite is all out of Irvine and it's obvious they are self serving. Sorry RJ. Turn up the Michigan ones and I'll change my mind.
I do agree with this. It seems they don't even seem to concerned about the area around Normal. You would think with factory deliveries and community value....one might find a few L3 and L2 around town? Nope...

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I do agree with this. It seems they don't even seem to concerned about the area around Normal. You would think with factory deliveries and community value....one might find a few L3 and L2 around town? Nope...
Probably more correlated to density of vehicles to certain areas of the country. L2s would seem to be easy in area like Normal. If you get factory delivery you don't need a nearby charger since the vehicle will be charged. If they live in the area they should have home charging and don't need DCFC. Just like I've never used a DCFC near Seattle.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Reserving a charger is a horrible idea. They should be first come first serve with a penalty charge for cars not moved within a few minutes of charging completed.
Why couldn't both reservations and penalties be used? Many ways this could play out:

A) Make the reservations tight windows like 15 min
B) You charge for reservations
C) Have a penalty for missed reservations. B and C give you options, but if the costs to reserve are high enough not many people will use them.
D) Have a significant penalty for every minute you sit after the charging is conplete past 5 minutes.
E) Tie the reservations to the in-car GPS. If there is no way you can make your window, like if you are 50 mi away with 15 min to get there, it is automatically canceled.

That was just off the top of my head, which means whatever Rivian settles on will be worse.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
1) Kyle
2) I give up.
I'm of the opinion they aren't for regular use. They are for longer trips outside of the roundtrip range radius like road trips. The same for all other DCFC networks. I've been to 3 RANs and had perfect charges at 2. The third was unavailable due to power outage in the area so not Rivians fault. My only complaint was the riv app said all 6 were 'in use.'

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

It's easy to think this way. And I'm not saying that they are or are not self serving.

If step back a moment, and see where all the concentration of R1 deliveries have been and most likely roadtrip destination distances from the concentrated areas, that's where the earliest RAN DFDCs are. Exactly what Tesla did at the beginning.

Grajjie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340i, Ioniq Electric, Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Clubs

It's easy to think this way. And I'm not saying that they are or are not self serving.

If step back a moment, and see where all the concentration of R1 deliveries have been and most likely roadtrip destination distances from the concentrated areas, that's where the earliest RAN DFDCs are. Exactly what Tesla did at the beginning.
By that logic the Brooklyn service center is the busiest with deliveries yet there isn't a single RAN charger in the east. I-95 from Boston to DC gets a ton of traffic as well. The RAN site in Maryland hasn't had any progress in months.

I am against free charging sessions (look what is happening with ID4s hogging chargers) and instead offering charging credits is better IMO. It would be nice to offer X amount of free charging at RAN chargers each month or so as a perk of enrolling in the Rivian Membership. Something like 100kWh a month or so.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
By that logic the Brooklyn service center is the busiest with deliveries yet there isn't a single RAN charger in the east. I-95 from Boston to DC gets a ton of traffic as well. The RAN site in Maryland hasn't had any progress in months.

I am against free charging sessions (look what is happening with ID4s hogging chargers) and instead offering charging credits is better IMO. It would be nice to offer X amount of free charging at RAN chargers each month or so as a perk of enrolling in the Rivian Membership. Something like 100kWh a month or so.
I think I would rather see a discounted charge rate for the membership like EA does. If they did do a monthly allotment I would hope the unused balance would roll over as I’m sure most people would not use them monthly. They could then be utilized on a trip.

Paradigm_Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Audi RS5, and a few more
Occupation
Architect
Clubs

Speaking of the owl sounds. Wasn't there some talk that the interior lighting RGB might be subscription based too.. If true that would be the funniest cash grab along the lines of seat heater subscriptions and BMW.
Yes, I suggested that when the colored lighting was immediately removed after the holiday. I wish I was wrong but it still seems obvious to me that they plan to charge for that "option". I think it very unlikely they will charge for things that owners already have access to as that could be considered theft / fraud unless the buyers agreement has some clause....

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

I don't mind paying out of pocket for things that themselves have ongoing costs: cloud services cost money to run and maintain, mobile apps cost money to develop and run, LTE connections obviously cost something. But if you're going to gate dumb shit like lights behind artificial paywalls that's a harder sell. Obviously turning access to features into a pay to play is right out (your Rivian™ Gear Tunnel™ has been disabled, please watch this mobile game ad or top up your balance to access the Rivian™ Gear Tunnel™).

At a reasonable price (...$15? Certainly no more than $20) I could see paying for a 'premium' suite of features that also included some control over lights and such. Would hate to see cable TV-esque "packages" being sold, etc... But I don't think they'll do that.

If they DID remove some of the cloud connect features and STILL DIDN'T allow Android Auto I'd be pretty unhappy though, I'll tell you what.
Sponsored