Sponsored

Rivian May Have Found Solution to Its Biggest Problem (The Street)

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I understand the reticent on timing but since they showed (albeit briefly) the powered cover in May so they should be close.
Hopefully whatever parts they needed for the redesign aren't subject to supply chain constraints and they will be able to meet demand for existing, new, and delayed customers.

Hopefully you and I are also still "ahead of the line" as I was promised by my Guide so that when they get the cover enters production we'll have our trucks soon and NOT s00n!
Sponsored

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Congratz on getting R1T's in 14 Days or less. I'll be standing in line (800 days or so...) waiting for my R1S o_O
My buddy ordered 1day after me, 11/22/21, he just got a vin 3days ago. He ordered black interior so I guess it makes sense. My config has OC

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
Congratz on getting R1T's in 14 Days or less. I'll be standing in line (800 days or so...) waiting for my R1S o_O
There are more than a few of us that passed the 800 day mark some time ago. In my case, I'm now more than three months past the one thousand day threshold.

In the interest of full disclosure, part of the wait is due to having had an R1T Max configured and then declining to go with the DM Max when Rivian canceled the QM Max. Changing config after that to the R1S certainly added to the wait time as well. Finally, I likely could have had the Rivian in my driveway by now had I taken one from the R1 Shop, but there were none in the configuration I want.

Perhaps foolishly, I still expect the R1S before I reach the 1,300 day mark at the end of December. I also console myself with the thought that the extended wait may mean I won't need to go to Brooklyn for delivery or service.

Last edited:

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I find it hard to believe that a consumer could order a R1T today and get it in 14 days, even in heaven.

Not being a jerk, would really like to know.
oh its definitely possible. not necessarily built to order in 14 days but if there's a vehicle that matches in the Shop or going through fixes due to it not passing QC, then it could be ready in 14 days or less easily.

Sponsored

Sfosro

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
I am in the same situation of putting my October 2021 order. On hold until the PTC becomes available. They said mid Summer which I take to be August for the new one to start to be fitted to trucks from last year. I would therefore assume July we will hear something for those to schedule service. I would hope in either July or August they mention a timeline for new builds - hopefully September if they have the parts.
Does this seem a reasonable timeline or am I being too optimistic?
I don’t have much sympathy, having waited from 3/2019 to 8/2022 for my truck. (Well worth the wait actually)

RNFinCA

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1
Occupation
Retired
Now if Rivian would take a page out of Elon's book and reduce the price of the RT1 so it slips under the $80K Biden limit. Not just for a dual motor, toned down model but by the same version we all just purchased. When they do that, I will order my second one!

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
Too bad Rivian didn't design an SUV to start with as that seems to be where the demand is (and given the U.S. market an SUV would have made a lot of sense to start with).
I would like to see the numbers on that.
The backlog of R1S is what we see, but does that mean more R1S have been ordered?

The electric SUV category has a lot of options. The electric truck category basically only has 2.

tylerdurden03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep GC Trailhawk, Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Is it not possible to add the powered tonneau cover AFTER taking delivery of an R1T?

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Is it not possible to add the powered tonneau cover AFTER taking delivery of an R1T?
That is what Rivian have consistently Said. Is it possible technically, yes I expect but the time required and likely high price (including labor) make it unlikely.
I wouldn’t be surprised by $3500 for the PTC as a new build option and there would expect if ever available for older builds at SCs to be in the range of $5k

Sponsored

OP
OP
Count Orlok

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I would like to see the numbers on that.
The backlog of R1S is what we see, but does that mean more R1S have been ordered?

The electric SUV category has a lot of options. The electric truck category basically only has 2.
three row SUV options? or do you mean pretend SUVs like the one tElsa claims is an SUV?

By "numbers" I mean that in general demand for SUVs in the US remains high and the market has been moving that way for a while. A purpose built SUV, as opposed to one based as an afterthought on a truck, would have been a better focus IMHO.

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
three row SUV options? or do you mean pretend SUVs like the one tElsa claims is an SUV?

By "numbers" I mean that in general demand for SUVs in the US remains high and the market has been moving that way for a while. A purpose built SUV, as opposed to one based as an afterthought on a truck, would have been a better focus IMHO.
Looking at this article, https://www.forbes.com/wheels/best/electric-suvs/

I think I see your point. They call them SUVs but they are more crossovers and rather small without much off-road abilities.
But I am a truck guy and disappointed with every electric truck except the R1T.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
My last R1S delivery estimate was Apr-Jun 2024. Wonder if I'll get it sooner. Would make for a nice Xmas present and I have been a relatively good boy this year.

tylerdurden03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep GC Trailhawk, Tesla Model 3
Clubs

That is what Rivian have consistently Said. Is it possible technically, yes I expect but the time required and likely high price (including labor) make it unlikely.
I wouldn’t be surprised by $3500 for the PTC as a new build option and there would expect if ever available for older builds at SCs to be in the range of $5k
Got it thanks for replying. I am new(er) to this forum and will try to use the search function more for my question. That said bummer it may not be plug and play after a purchase.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Looking at this article, https://www.forbes.com/wheels/best/electric-suvs/

I think I see your point. They call them SUVs but they are more crossovers and rather small without much off-road abilities.
But I am a truck guy and disappointed with every electric truck except the R1T.
<rant>
This is the problem with the industry in general, not just electric "SUVs" . The term SUV has been genericized to mean anything from a RAV4 to a Tahoe to a R1S to a Hummer, etc. You have worthless, click bait publications like Motor Trend throwing all of those types of vehicles into "SUV of the Year" competition. It's laughable. They even admit it's a problem (see image below), but instead of segmenting the class, they lump them all together anyway so they can sell magazines and get clicks. WTF?

At one time, the term crossover started to stick in this class, but I think they intentionally dropped it to "upsell" against true SUVs. 75% - 80% of the vehicles in SUVOTY are crossovers based on car chassis, not SUVs.
</rant>

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian May Have Found Solution to Its Biggest Problem (The Street) 1684843999580
Sponsored