First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Hey just wondering if anyone had seen or heard anything related to how the maps/infotainment system will work. Will it direct me to charging stations? Will it help me find places of interest along road trips like roadtripper.com? Could I schedule and plan a road trip and charging locations? Any other cool features planned or the community wants to add?
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
This is a luxury vehicle. i think you can assume that they will not install an "economy class" mapping system. I am confident that there will be an option to overlay maps on satellite imagery and that the combo will be labeled with the names and locations of businesses, attractions. I am confident that the locations of chargers will be displayed with, perhaps, the number of free stalls indicated in real time. I am confident that you will be able to tap on a charging station (or any other) location and the car will develop a route to it from its current location. I'm pretty sure that you will be able to download routes from other planning apps to the vehicle remotely. I'm confident that the maps will display traffic information in real time. You will probably be able to use voice commands such as "go to nearest fast charger" or "go home" or "find Chinese food" to command the system to lay in a route to the named destinations.

Last edited:

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
According to the website, it will route you through chargers on the way to your destination.

" For charging on the road, weā€™re building the Rivian Adventure Network, a comprehensive nationwide network of fast-charging stations capable of adding up to 140 miles of range in 20 minutes. Beyond our own network, we are also integrating with other nationwide CCS networks to ensure charging is always easily accessible ā€” also available from your navigation. Youā€™ll be able to find these stations from your touchscreen and automatically route through any needed charging stops on the way to your destination. "

" You'll be able to find charging stations directly from your touchscreen. Simply choose your destination and the navigation will automatically route you through any needed charging stops. "

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Clubs

A nice feature that the Volvo has is that you can put in an address in the Phone app and then send it to the vehicle. Real handy when you are sitting you your living room easy chair and find a cool destination.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Rivian R1T LE
A nice feature that the Volvo has is that you can put in an address in the Phone app and then send it to the vehicle. Real handy when you are sitting you your living room easy chair and find a cool destination.
Yes, a great feature until the trial period runs out and Volvo wants you to pay subscription fees for what should be a standard feature.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gearhead500

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Volvo app sound cool but knowing they have a mobile developer job opening, Iā€™m hoping more for an adventure planning experience. For instance, Iā€™d like to plan a trip for 4 from Philly to Fort Collins CO. Yeah itā€™s an 28 hour drive and 5.5 hrs charging. Thatā€™s just table stakes. Now I want to overlay pints of interest like the worlds biggest ball of yarn and add that to the trip. Then add lodging too, either a KOA or prioritize (sort by) hotels with charging stations. Then continue planning other attractions and meals. End result, itā€™s a fully fleshed out itinerary on (mobile or webpage or vehicle) that I can load up the family and gear and hit the road starting the trip from infotainment system. Then I can deviate to waterfalls and cool stuff on the fly.
Also would be cool to opt-in to share my location and see other Rivian adventurers near me.
Would be cool for a calendar of events or meetups throughout the year across the country.

ā€œYou may say Iā€™m a dreamer,
But Iā€™m not the only one.ā€

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Any hunter with common sense makes sure someone knows where he is, when he is due back etc.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Us hunters are a weird lot, and are very protective of our ā€œsecretā€ locations that we spend 95% of the year finding and understanding for the 5% we spend actually hunting. Yes, itā€™s good to let someone else know where you are. Just not another hunter ;)

My response was somewhat tongue in cheek. Iā€™m sure a feature like that would be useful to many people and would have controls to allow your location to be selectively shared or turned off altogether.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
My response was somewhat tongue in cheek. Iā€™m sure a feature like that would be useful to many people and would have controls to allow your location to be selectively shared or turned off altogether.
Got it. But there are some who take this very, very seriously. Anyone for whom this is a concern should be aware that the car will be continuously reporting its position, speed, battery current... back to Rivian and that when you ask the car to plan a route for you the route is probably not being planned by the car but by an algorithm running in a server on board the mother ship. Other compute intensive jobs, such as speech regognition are not done on board. The downsides to this are:

1) your privacy is compromized,
2) lots of data needs to be communicated
3) If the data can't be passed (no cell phone coverage) the services that rely on it (route planning, speech recognition) aren't available
4) network operators don't carry the data for free.

It's been mentioned that Volvo charges for some of these services. Tesla does too (first year is free to get you hooked) and I imagine Rivian will do the same. The cost of the Tesla service is about $120 per year.
Sponsored