Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1T
Clubs

I have found the Rivian Maps experience to be subpar, at best. I live in the DC area and I-66 is one of the main thoroughfares through the region and runs just a few blocks from my house. Rivian MAPS refuses to map any route the includes I-66, ever, even if Waze and Apple Maps (and common sense) say otherwise. If I punch in a route to both Waze and Rivian Maps and take I-66 because Waze included it, Rivian Maps will consistently tell me to exit I-66. It’s really odd.

I use Rivian Maps together with Waze or Apple Maps on long trips because Rivian Maps tells me where I need to stop to charge. For me, that’s Rivian Maps’ only value proposition.
That's another one that makes me crazy! If I'm on a route and I want to look at other chargers in the area in need to stop in... I can't... I have to end my route, and then I can click on the charging stations to see if any of them are 350 or not. It's all these little things that are making me crazy.
Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I understand what you're saying and I've done the same thing, but I've run into problems on the longer drives where the traffic changes or there's an accident. Every other maps app will let you know and offer an alternate route. Not with the Rivian map that I've found.
Yeah, on the longer drive it's waze only and I'll leave the spotify screen up on the infotainment...

Msg43

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This is what many have resorted to. It’s unfortunate that we’re stuck with this workaround. If only we had a waze or google maps integration 🍿
This is what I do. I just hate ignoring this huge beautiful screen to squint at my phone but I don't have time to get routed the wrong way... AGAIN...

OP
OP
Derek

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1T
Clubs

This is what I do. I just hate ignoring this huge beautiful screen to squint at my phone but I don't have time to get routed the wrong way... AGAIN...
I completely agree

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
The best traffic integration I have used was the Uconnect w/ SiriusXM travel link. My RAM came with 5 years free, and I would have paid to have it renewed. Three years of fairly heavy use and it was really good, all the time. However, the nav in general had occasonal hickups, like every one I've ever used.

Often I would simply leave the map up and just pay attention to the traffic color coding. This saved me a few times from getting stuck on the WA 20 single lane while coming back home from town. I'm not a fan of the music service so I let that part slide.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The best traffic integration I have used was the Uconnect w/ SiriusXM travel link. My RAM came with 5 years free, and I would have paid to have it renewed. Three years of fairly heavy use and it was really good, all the time. However, the nav in general had occasonal hickups, like every one I've ever used.

Often I would simply leave the map up and just pay attention to the traffic color coding. This saved me a few times from getting stuck on the WA 20 single lane while coming back home from town. I'm not a fan of the music service so I let that part slide.
Hard disagreement, here. SiriusXM Traffic Link is hilariously bad. it is limited to only a handful of roads.

VermontR1T

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
How about this one?! Nav says the road is closed. You have to wonder how many other issues are in the mapping database that were temporary at one point, but just happened to be in the version Rivian incorporated in the system.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian maps are the worst if there is any traffic BF0B77AB-8AB7-40FA-B8F1-7555701C6FF5

HumanGenome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Yep the navigation is horrendous, worse than Tesla by far.

Regardless of traffic I am getting navigated weird ways home that make zero sense.

Obioban

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e46 M3, e39 M5, e46 M3 converted wagon, i3, e60 M5
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
One of many problems that would be solved by CarPlay (lack of CarPlay being the reason I won't buy a Rivian, unless they reverse course).

michaelcasto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Landscaper
Hey everyone, has anyone found the map system in an R1T to be junk unless there are no road issues?

This was the third really big pain in the butt and the worst by far. I was heading into San Francisco to meet friends for dinner, and the map sent me to the third street offramp, and that's the problem. I was stuck on King for over an hour with no way to get out of it.

I popped open Waze and found that there was a march on Market that had it shut down. the Rivian map had no idea there was even traffic in the area. If the map worked like every other map, I would have gotten off on 6th street and been able to avoid this mess.

It has been frustrating as hell to have my phone map open and running because I can't trust the Rivian maps.
Maybe I have it on the wrong settings but why does the map list names of roads or even cities? Basic map information, also can’t click on specific chargers listed on map to get more info. Anyone else frustrated with these issues?

srkz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several
Honestly my biggest complaint with the Rivian Nav is how robotic and unpleasant the voice guidance sounds. Sometimes when navigating to a new place I like to have voice prompts on so I don't have to look down so often, but they sound like someone just lifted the .wav files from a 15 year old TomTom so I just leave the voice turned off.

My second biggest complaint with the Rivian Nav is that it displays the "next" step in a journey with no regard for the step after... For example, I frequently end up in situations where the next step says "stay on the freeway and continue straight" so I'm still over in the middle or left lanes, only to find out that 800 feet after I go through that waypoint the very next step is "take the interchange for this other freeway" and now I'm rushing to get across 3 or 4 lanes to make the exit in time because it gave me a bullshit "continue straight" where a truck lane bypass peels off or something. It needs to be more clever and just ignore truck lane bypasses and other "continue straight" waypoints, or at least it needs to show the next waypoint and also the one after that if it's coming up soon.

The traffic info being poor is only my third biggest complaint.
Sponsored