Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This is weird. I have seen times where I have traffic information on the military installation I work on. Small roads with very little traffic, and roads I'm not sure Google has data for...
Is there anywhere in the map that tells you you're not online to receive traffic info outside of when you're attempting to route somewhere? I don't think I've ever noticed it telling me it's offline without actively trying to make a new route somewhere. That certainly could explain most of the discrepancy here.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Is there anywhere in the map that tells you you're not online to receive traffic info outside of when you're attempting to route somewhere? I don't think I've ever noticed it telling me it's offline without actively trying to make a new route somewhere. That certainly could explain most of the discrepancy here.
I've never had a message anywhere for any reason referencing being offline.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
I assumed all vehicle based maps had this same issue. The nav on my JGC doesn't do traffic well either.

inconceivable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
i have had a similar experience as OP.

Navigation often matches google/Waze when there is no traffic and generally seems like a good route. When there is traffic I have found:
1) rivian nav usually has less accurate traffic info
2) does a worse job navigating with the traffic in mind (sending me on worse routes then Google/Waze does)

One additional issue I noticed is that Rivian seems underestimate how long it will take to go through primary local roads that have lights and lots of retail even if there isnā€™t any ā€˜trafficā€™. Where Google/Waze are more realistic.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

One additional issue I noticed is that Rivian seems underestimate how long it will take to go through primary local roads that have lights and lots of retail even if there isnā€™t any ā€˜trafficā€™. Where Google/Waze are more realistic.
This just reminded me back when I used to use Waze and it would tell me how much time I saved versus their estimate. Was fun saving hours on long trips...

Sponsored

RivianR1TinSFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Hey everyone, has anyone found the map system in an R1T to be junk unless there are no road issues?

This was the third really big pain in the butt and the worst by far. I was heading into San Francisco to meet friends for dinner, and the map sent me to the third street offramp, and that's the problem. I was stuck on King for over an hour with no way to get out of it.

I popped open Waze and found that there was a march on Market that had it shut down. the Rivian map had no idea there was even traffic in the area. If the map worked like every other map, I would have gotten off on 6th street and been able to avoid this mess.

It has been frustrating as hell to have my phone map open and running because I can't trust the Rivian maps.
A quick look at the other nav apps would have helped. I usually look at others and then compare.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I gave up on Rivian maps when it took me a half mile in the wrong location to Rivian's own hosted event. If Rivian can't even get that right...
Now I just use Google Maps and share it to the truck since google maps sends the location data, so I don't have to worry about being in 2012 again when Apple ditched Google Maps and it was sending me all over the place just to be no where near where I was meant to be. For traffic, I just use waze right before I head out to make sure there's no traffic on my usual route.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

For me, my experience hasnā€™t been that my R1T has ā€œbadā€ traffic information, but rather it has outdated traffic information. Ultimately itā€™s still a problem, but I donā€™t think my truck gets the incorrect traffic info but rather it just doesnā€™t get up to date traffic info quickly.

Frequently, my route home will list heavy rush hour traffic for a while even after rush hour has passed and traffic has cleared up. I will frequently see red traffic zones in places I know are particularly congested during rush hour, even when Iā€™m not hitting traffic because Iā€™m heading home after the rush.

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I pretty much gave up on Rivian's Nav months ago just to buggy, unable to search and locate POI's that are visible on the map, trying to send me 20 miles away to Costco when there was one 2 miles away, showing addresses on the wrong side of the road and my favorite, having me constantly exit the freeway to drive 1/4 mile on a frontage road through multiple stop lights just to get back on the same freeway having save no time at all.

I still use it if I'm heading to a charger to get the battery pre-conditioning, that seems to work okay. Otherwise it's back to the phone and Google Maps or Waze for any other navigation needs, definitely not ideal but at least it works reliably.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

For me, my experience hasnā€™t been that my R1T has ā€œbadā€ traffic information, but rather it has outdated traffic information. Ultimately itā€™s still a problem, but I donā€™t think my truck gets the incorrect traffic info but rather it just doesnā€™t get up to date traffic info quickly.

Frequently, my route home will list heavy rush hour traffic for a while even after rush hour has passed and traffic has cleared up. I will frequently see red traffic zones in places I know are particularly congested during rush hour, even when Iā€™m not hitting traffic because Iā€™m heading home after the rush.
I've seen this as well, where the traffic data simply doesn't update quickly enough.

I also think they need to make the traffic colors more noticeable (or at least give the option to) similar to Google. When you aren't using navigation the traffic overlays on the maps can be nearly impossible to see.

Sponsored

Comstockery

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (launch green, 22" dark); Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Attorney
Clubs

I have found the Rivian Maps experience to be subpar, at best. I live in the DC area and I-66 is one of the main thoroughfares through the region and runs just a few blocks from my house. Rivian MAPS refuses to map any route the includes I-66, ever, even if Waze and Apple Maps (and common sense) say otherwise. If I punch in a route to both Waze and Rivian Maps and take I-66 because Waze included it, Rivian Maps will consistently tell me to exit I-66. Itā€™s really odd.

I use Rivian Maps together with Waze or Apple Maps on long trips because Rivian Maps tells me where I need to stop to charge. For me, thatā€™s Rivian Mapsā€™ only value proposition.

OP
OP
Derek

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1T
Clubs

This is what many have resorted to. Itā€™s unfortunate that weā€™re stuck with this workaround. If only we had a waze or google maps integration šŸæ
They have the apps area, give us a better map. I agree!

OP
OP
Derek

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1T
Clubs

Unfortunately I've found a great workaround...

First I open waze and check which route it wants me to go.

Then I open Rivian maps and see if it wants me to go the same route. If they're different I listen to waze, but they're only different like 10-15% of the time so far. Most of the time I get to use Rivian maps after that because it is so pretty and functional in the R1T.
I understand what you're saying and I've done the same thing, but I've run into problems on the longer drives where the traffic changes or there's an accident. Every other maps app will let you know and offer an alternate route. Not with the Rivian map that I've found.

OP
OP
Derek

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1T
Clubs

If it's a long-ish journey, I always open Google/Apple maps in my phone to double-check. The other day it wanted to re-route me a weird way because of a bit of traffic. It didn't seem right and when i checked with Google Maps it was half the time and a shorter distance. I risked the shorter route and the traffic was nothing.

Bottom line, don't rely 100% on Rivian Maps.
The Rivian map has so many bugs. I was in Sacramento and I knew the part of town I was in, the map wanted me to go in some weird direction... I didn't listen and when the map readjusted I showed I saved 15 minutes on the ETA.

I hope they put some real work into it.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
It has been frustrating as hell to have my phone map open and running because I can't trust the Rivian maps.
I do the same thing and turn on audio for one of those based on which one I want to follow!

It does occasionally shows which roads are busy but I am guessing they gets the data from some other R1 in the area. We just have to wait for more Rivians on the road to know which roads are busy.
Sponsored