Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1T
Clubs

I’m sorry that happened to you. Is it possible the truck was purchased and titled as Salvage in FL? Rivian probably isn’t going to keep it and fix it themselves…it’s more cost effective to them to sell it cheap and move on.
This is what I was going to say too. I can find several salvage trucks for sale on the web.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
If so I doubt that the insurance company would have titled it in Florida in this case.

I know we all have a affinity for defending Rivian but the most likely explanation is that Rivian screwed up, unfortunate that they didn't own their mistake and make it right.
Not sure people are blindly defending Rivian here just pointing out that there are a lot of scenarios that could have occurred and automatically assuming it was a failure or nefarious intent by Rivian is no different than assuming the other scenarios could be possible.

The OP has Florida listed as their location so Rivian most likely titled the car there prior to whatever happened and it is very possible that the title information has not been updated.

Always better to get all of the information before assuming what the actual facts are.

OP
OP

Scottyftlaud

First Name
Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram pick p
Occupation
Retired
Not sure people are blindly defending Rivian here just pointing out that there are a lot of scenarios that could have occurred and automatically assuming it was a failure or nefarious intent by Rivian is no different than assuming the other scenarios could be possible.

The OP has Florida listed as their location so Rivian most likely titled the car there prior to whatever happened and it is very possible that the title information has not been updated.

Always better to get all of the information before assuming what the actual facts are.
Rivian won't answer. Which is the main reason for this post.

OP
OP

Scottyftlaud

First Name
Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram pick p
Occupation
Retired
I don't know. Is it possible that it could have been "sold" and registered as a fleet vehicle, a test vehicle, a private company tear down/benchmark vehicle, a loaner, etc.?

If they were going to do what you are suggesting, why would they waste the time to assign you a VIN? Wouldn't they just sell it to the other buyer in the first place?

Personally, I think Rivian wants to fulfill of as many pre March orders as possible, so that they can show significant margin growth in 2023, which should help the stock stay afloat during more challenging economic times.

I don't think they are purposely selling vehicles to the higher margin right now at least not as the main priority. I know they have sold some (those who live close to a delivery center or in Illinois) but I think the majority of the orders going out are pre March right now.
I wish I knew the answers. And, mad posting. The carfax report says sold and titled in Florida. Nothing about salvage, etc. All I can say I was supposedly getting a truck, and then I wasn't. With a lot of promises.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I think a lot of things could have led to what you experienced. In order of most likely to least likely (IMO)
  1. Rivian told you the truth. Car was indeed in some sort of accident before delivery, repaired/salvaged, then titled (we've seen several photos of crashed R1s on carrier trucks.)
  2. VIN was inadvertently assigned to you, when it was supposed to go to someone else
  3. Car was unsellable to you for some reason (many possibilities), and Guide simply misunderstood what the issue was and assumed it was damage from transport (no nefarious intent)
  4. VIN was assigned to a vehicle that didn't match your specifications, for some unknown reason
  5. And dead last...Rivian wanted to make a few grand extra, waste the time of the guide, create an unhappy customer, and then created a devious lie and plan to try and fool you.
I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see how you could make any enforceable claim against Rivian. They're under no obligation to ever sell you a car, much less one with a specific VIN at a specific time. You're out no money, and you're back in line with everyone else.

Sponsored

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Rivian isn't going to take a truck that was in a crash and sell it as new to one of us. Makes total sense that they'd put you back into the queue vs repair it and deliver it to you as new. Sounds like the miss communication is "beyond repair." It would have to be a pretty bad crash (think a truck flip) for the delivery truck to be in a crash and its cargo trucks were totaled. Likely just a game of telephone where the message passed through multiple people before it got to you as "beyond repair" rather than "needing lots of repairs." Maybe it was minor, maybe it was major, but does it matter? Would you have wanted it? I certainly wouldn't want it (unless I got a big discount).

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
What benefit
I wish I knew the answers. And, mad posting. The carfax report says sold and titled in Florida. Nothing about salvage, etc. All I can say I was supposedly getting a truck, and then I wasn't. With a lot of promises.
If it were wrecked it would likely be sold at an auction with a salvage title. Or sold directly to some body shop or individual who does that for a living.. with a salvage title. And FL is the best place in the country to try to do that if you want to hide a vehicle's history...

OP
OP

Scottyftlaud

First Name
Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram pick p
Occupation
Retired
I think a lot of things could have led to what you experienced. In order of most likely to least likely (IMO)
  1. Rivian told you the truth. Car was indeed in some sort of accident before delivery, repaired/salvaged, then titled (we've seen several photos of crashed R1s on carrier trucks.)
  2. VIN was inadvertently assigned to you, when it was supposed to go to someone else
  3. Car was unsellable to you for some reason (many possibilities), and Guide simply misunderstood what the issue was and assumed it was damage from transport (no nefarious intent)
  4. VIN was assigned to a vehicle that didn't match your specifications, for some unknown reason
  5. And dead last...Rivian wanted to make a few grand extra, waste the time of the guide, create an unhappy customer, and then created a devious lie and plan to try and fool you.
I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see how you could make any enforceable claim against Rivian. They're under no obligation to ever sell you a car, much less one with a specific VIN at a specific time. You're out no money, and you're back in line with everyone else.
Agreed with your analogies. I'm just frustrated that they (Rivian) won't say anything. My post is about frustration, and venting, and to see if anyone else has experienced an issue similar to mine. And yes, back in line. Maybe. Options are the Ford, or get a loaded Dodge. 🤔

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I'm just frustrated that they (Rivian) won't say anything. My post is about frustration, and venting, and to see if anyone else has experienced an issue similar to mine.
Rivian communication continues to be the weakest part of the company, and kills significant amounts of goodwill that they had created along the way. We are in total agreement on that!

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Agreed with your analogies. I'm just frustrated that they (Rivian) won't say anything. My post is about frustration, and venting, and to see if anyone else has experienced an issue similar to mine. And yes, back in line. Maybe. Options are the Ford, or get a loaded Dodge. 🤔
Others have reported getting a VIN/scheduled delivery and then being told it was damaged beyond repair. If you search you may find some similar threads.

I find it unlikely that it was severely damaged and repaired and resold in 1 month, or accidentally registered after salvage or most of these theories. I mean for anyone who has needed a major repair on their Rivian, did it happen that quickly?

As they say the most likely explanation is probably the correct one. In my experience that likely means someone at Rivian made a mistake, doubt it was nefarious. Also doubt we will ever know what happened unless you happen to meet the recipient of that VIN and inquire how they got it.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
IIRC Florida is one of the many states where salvaged vehicles get their titled washed, Im sorry. Let me rephrase.

One of the states that allows a totaled vehicle to be restored and obtain a new clear title.

This may not be the case..or it may.
yes I have a standing policy to never buy a Florida car.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
The situation sucks, but the best thing to do is call Customer Service and ask for a Customer Service Lead. Tell them the situation and ask them if they can help you get an accurate timeline on the replacement truck.

Kidentist

First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7,A3, Macan GTS
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
Florida...... 🤔
I smell Tavarish all over this.......:giggle:

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

dang bro, that sucks that its been in limbo for two months. hope its gets cleared up soon

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Sooo not giving us the VIN to avoid the truck or confirm your issue? Got it.

How about a color? I bet it's yellow.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.