Sponsored

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
I worry a bit about ventilated seats with the way I plan to use my truck. The thing is, I want a powered tonneau cover, and that package comes with ventilated seats.

Tesla offered Ultraleather ventilated seats on the Model X as well, before discontinuing them due to wear issues. I had them for four years and found them to be mostly acceptable if only mildly efficient at cooling. However, they had a tendency to collect dirt in the perforations, especially on long, dusty camping trips.

I replaced my 2016 X in September and my new one doesn't have ventilated seats. We went straight to Utah and Arizona for a month of camping and cleaning the dust out of the car was much easier.

I'd prefer seats without holes.
I agree that the Tesla ventilated seats were barely useful. All they did is gently blow cabin air through the perforations. I used to have a Mercedes SL55 and those seats blew air conditioned air through the seats. Much, much better. It’ll be interesting to see what Rivian does.
Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I agree that the Tesla ventilated seats were barely useful. All they did is gently blow cabin air through the perforations. I used to have a Mercedes SL55 and those seats blew air conditioned air through the seats. Much, much better. It’ll be interesting to see what Rivian does.
I never sat in "vegan leather", so do they get hotter than regular leather seats. Maybe those ventilated seats could come in handy if that's the case...

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I never sat in "vegan leather", so do they get hotter than regular leather seats. Maybe those ventilated seats could come in handy if that's the case...
"Vegan leather" is just marketing. Vinyl is vegan, so every pleather out there could be vegan (don't know if some use animal products for something). Luxury brands started using high quality fake leathers years ago, and in a lot of cases, it's a perfectly acceptable substitute. Mercedes Benz MB-Tex comes to mind.

I've got no specific knowledge of what Rivian is doing, it's a bit odd to me to use a petrochemical in an electric vehicle, so maybe they have something unique.

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Arguments about true level 4 (not just limited testing), Rivian never said that would launch with level 3. They have always said level 2, and then upgrade to level 3. They have always said, however, that they will launch with 'level 3 capable hardware', and that is still the case in their estimation.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! Screenshot_20201113-230240_Chrome

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
The key word there is 'available'. It doesn't say 'at launch'. As DucRider mentioned, the parts you left out allude to level 2 at launch.

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
The key word there is 'available'. It doesn't say 'at launch'. As DucRider mentioned, the parts you left out allude to level 2 at launch.
Its poor corporate communication if that's what they meant.

Thats the equivalent of saying "825 of available HP" but then when you put your car on a dyno and only get a max of 700 and they say "oh, we didn't say "at launch" we expect to get 825 later with a BMS upgrade OTA... but there's necessary hardware installed right now to get that 825HP someday!"

IMO its a bad look if I need to look at every statement through a lawyers lense. I just want a company to say things plainly and honestly, and then live up to those statements. When we"re having discussions such as this, I dont think they're meeting my expectations with ethical communication or ethical delivery on promises.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Its poor corporate communication if that's what they meant.

Thats the equivalent of saying "825 of available HP" but then when you put your car on a dyno and only get a max of 700 and they say "oh, we didn't say "at launch" we expect to get 825 later with a BMS upgrade OTA... but there's necessary hardware installed right now to get that 825HP someday!"

IMO its a bad look if I need to look at every statement through a lawyers lense. I just want a company to say things plainly and honestly, and then live up to those statements. When we"re having discussions such as this, I dont think they're meeting my expectations with ethical communication or ethical delivery on promises.
There is no way they are going to please everyone. A certain percentage will decide to move on for a variety of reasons. We've seen several forum members say "too expensive - I was hoping for cheaper" when the price is in line with what they had announced. If someone believes a company is not acting in an ethical manner, by no means should they do business with them - it will be better for both sides if they just move along.

I great example is so many on this forum that clamored for the configurator to be released and claiming that it didn't need all the info - just get something out.
These are often the people complaining that the info they released last week was incomplete and didn't answer their questions. We'll see more of this next week when the configurator doesn't list every option that will be available between now and actual production/delivery.
They've stated repeatedly that they will continue to add options as time goes on. They've also been doing a bunch of testing. Some of that has revealed some of what they wanted/intended/announced was not practical from a cost/production/timing/logistics perspective (LIDAR, Electrochromic roof, etc). This is indeed the primary purpose of such testing.
You can't have it both ways - they can communicate ahead of time what they are working on and want to incorporate - or we can get radio silence with no information until everything has been completely tested and is production ready.
And I think it is a good thing that they listen to their customers and do their best to accommodate. There was an huge amount of blowback on no 7 seat R1S with the biggest pack. It appears they are working to address that (and getting criticized for doing it).

aww181

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, 64 Triumph Spitfire
@Chunk , not sure if you noticed my avatar. No fist waving against ICE cars. Low mileage, high performance (from my era standards) Camaro in my garage! I wonder if I could get a skateboard from Rivian for this?
I hear you. Let's move to the future while enjoying the past.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! IMG_20160331_114022

aww181

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, 64 Triumph Spitfire
Lol I played with it in the past too trying to find a worst case scenario. The 2020 X and the 135KWH seem comparable with 18 and 17 charges respectively, but the 180kwh would only need 11 charges. However, there is only ~3hours difference for a total trip time which isn't much.
I used the same tool to test boston to baxter state park in Maine with the 180 kW truck and it sent me to drive to Canada to recharge. Not workable. Then checked Boston to Lake Placid and it added 3 hours to a 5 hour trip because there are only 50kW chargers. So it all depends where you are going. Interstates in the core of the country are fairly good. CA is good. The rest of the country is not yet ready. That is why the 400 is important o me. I am not buying this to recharge in my Garage. If I want a commuter, I will but something smaller/cheaper. I am looking at the RT1 to go off grid. In that use case, it needs more battery. I am sure Rivian has a reason for their approach and it is their choice but I will wait.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! 1605536183726

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I used the same tool to test boston to baxter state park in Maine with the 180 kW truck and it sent me to drive to Canada to recharge. Not workable. Then checked Boston to Lake Placid and it added 3 hours to a 5 hour trip because there are only 50kW chargers. So it all depends where you are going. Interstates in the core of the country are fairly good. CA is good. The rest of the country is not yet ready. That is why the 400 is important o me. I am not buying this to recharge in my Garage. If I want a commuter, I will but something smaller/cheaper. I am looking at the RT1 to go off grid. In that use case, it needs more battery. I am sure Rivian has a reason for their approach and it is their choice but I will wait.

1605536183726.png
I'm hoping those "adventure charging stations" will fill some of those gaps, but I'd also wait for the 400 mile range if I was in an area where currently there aren't many stations.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
This mindset baffles me.

"Before, we thought the product we wanted would literally not be available. Now, we find it WILL be available! But I just have to wait a bit longer for it."

If I had my heart set on 180kwh, 7-seater R1S, I'd be over the moon!

Some people will never be happy.
It would not baffle you if you were in my shoes, I left few details out of the original post. I currently use Tesla S with rear facing seats, the rear facing seats have a height limit for the children who can use them, i got 4 kids, and 3 of them are triplets, the extra wait time means the little gremlins at some point will cross that threshold. So 1 year longer wait, is logistically problematic, because I would have to either rent/lease a 7 seats, or get the model X ( which I am trying to avoid at all cost )

I will definitely be happy with 135Kw R1S, but the 180Kw means I can do all my out of state trips without stopping to charge. At the end of the day, it might even be available before my numbers comes up, but if it wasn't, yes I will be disappointed, and yes I will be still be happy with the 135K.

Hopefully that gives you a better context.

Novo-caine

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ5 and allroad
Anyone get the email yet to allow access to start the configuration? I still haven’t

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Anyone get the email yet to allow access to start the configuration? I still haven’t
No, we are all still waiting. There is a thread about that as well.