First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Software Engineer
They always said Level 3 would come later. And before people get upset if there is a charge for it, they never said it would be free (although it might be).
Agreed. I think a lot of us get dreamy and believe in Rivian, but would really, really love to see L3+ capabilities. I'm hoping that, even if for a fee, we can retro-fit to our vehicles later, if we purchased a LE. Having the hardware is a big piece of that. Even better, would be a commitment that later Rivian will guarantee upgrade compatibility in our vehicles/retro-fit for L3+.

Last edited:

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Just got off the phone with Rivian. The launch green is the ONLY color you can get with the launch edition. Only option is the wheels and if you want a camp kitchen or not. And they said that there would be a few different options for the kitchen, but pricing isn't known to them but will be known to us on the configurator.....
Their website wording suggests that the green is a launch edition option exclusive along with the other colors, not that the Launch Edition is only available in Green " Special Launch Green paint color option" (from the the rivian website). I think that's what the rep was trying to convey to you.

aww181

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, 64 Triumph Spitfire
Dang, I thought Vegan Leather was from cows that didn't eat meat. After searching, it turns out it is just pleather...
But doesn't it sound so much better than pleather or naugahyde? Marketing...

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

Their website wording suggests that the green is a launch edition option exclusive along with the other colors, not that the Launch Edition is only available in Green " Special Launch Green paint color option" (from the the rivian website). I think that's what the rep was trying to convey to you.
I spent 30+ mins on the phone with Customer Engagement yesterday, and they confirmed that ALL colors will be available for the LE. They were working on getting the website reworded.

Sponsored

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

They always said Level 3 would come later. And before people get upset if there is a charge for it, they never said it would be free (although it might be).
This gives me hope that they would provide it as an OTA update free at a later date.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! 1605273768248

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Although the below can be construed as obvious, I'm going to post it anyways, as I noticed there's somehow still questions regarding whether the Launch Green is the exclusive/only choice for the launch edition vs. it being just a special, launch edition "option", as it was denoted. haha!. Sorry, I had to do it! ;) Jokey joke!

A chat with customer relations confirmed that the Long Range R1S (180 kWh or whatever) won't even be an option in the configurator (like an "I'll wait, please hold! checkbox). They are ghosting us ;) I had already assumed this since they aren't even going to push details on the long range R1S until after production begins, but i figured they MIGHT (long shot) have had a plan behind the scenes. Silly me. It was a long chat and I could tell that they didn't really seem to have a plan for how to handle this issue, as many pre-order folks wanted the 180 based on commentary here. I wanted to confirm with them the interplay between one's pre-order date and the "eventual" configuration of the 180/Long Range.

In short, I was told "In order to wait for the long range R1S, one would need to hold off on configuring the vehicle. When the product is offered, you would be able to configure that battery pack and delivery would take into account your pre-order priority.....We do not currently know a timeframe for when that will be available, or other information surrounding the long range R1S at this time".

Ingest/interpret that as you wish. Good luck in Thunderdome!

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
Nice!!! Ventilated seats is a must for me in the Texas summers.
I worry a bit about ventilated seats with the way I plan to use my truck. The thing is, I want a powered tonneau cover, and that package comes with ventilated seats.

Tesla offered Ultraleather ventilated seats on the Model X as well, before discontinuing them due to wear issues. I had them for four years and found them to be mostly acceptable if only mildly efficient at cooling. However, they had a tendency to collect dirt in the perforations, especially on long, dusty camping trips.

I replaced my 2016 X in September and my new one doesn't have ventilated seats. We went straight to Utah and Arizona for a month of camping and cleaning the dust out of the car was much easier.

I'd prefer seats without holes.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
A chat with customer relations confirmed that the Long Range R1S (180 kWh or whatever) won't even be an option in the configurator (like an "I'll wait, please hold! checkbox).
In short, I was told "In order to wait for the long range R1S, one would need to hold off on configuring the vehicle. When the product is offered, you would be able to configure that battery pack and delivery would take into account your pre-order priority.....We do not currently know a timeframe for when that will be available, or other information surrounding the long range R1S at this time".
Ugh, I was afraid this might be the case. Thanks for confirming. This really leaves us hanging out to dry in terms of being able to evaluate our options and whether we should wait for the 180 or settle for the 135.

Sponsored

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Ugh, I was afraid this might be the case. Thanks for confirming. This really leaves us hanging out to dry in terms of being able to evaluate our options and whether we should wait for the 180 or settle for the 135.
Yes, I agree. Bad news. I guess I was thinking that I would spec out my R1T now, then once the 180 becomes available I'd just switch to that before delivery and keep my place in line. Hmmm...

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Yes, I agree. Bad news. I guess I was thinking that I would spec out my R1T now, then once the 180 becomes available I'd just switch to that before delivery and keep my place in line. Hmmm...
Yeah. I mentioned that "option" in the chat....putting in an existing R1S order, and then changing it down the road before getting locked into purchase, just in case that ends up helping me in some weird way ;) That got ignored. Haha! Can't hurt I guess. Never know when they might change their minds on the fly.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
According to Rivian's website the R1T (truck) you can configure with the large battery but have to wait. The S you won't be able to right away, or am I reading this wrong?:
BATTERY SELECTION
At launch, every R1T and R1S comes with our 300+ mile pack. We are leading with this pack based on its optimal balance of range, performance and price.
For R1T, our 400+ mile pack will be available starting in January 2022. Initially, the R1S will only be available with our 300+ mile pack. A longer range R1S with both five- and seven-passenger seating will be announced following start of production. We will also announce our 250+ mile range, lower priced R1T and R1S at that time.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Perhaps Rivian should consider a special "trade up" incentive to get us in the 135 now and replace with the 180 when it becomes available. They could use some of those trade-ins to populate a service loaner fleet and possibly an adventure destination rental fleet.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
... I replaced my 2016 X in September and my new one doesn't have ventilated seats. We went straight to Utah and Arizona for a month of camping and cleaning the dust out of the car was much easier.

I'd prefer seats without holes.
Would some sort of seat cover for those excessively-dusty 'ventures be a decent compromise, allowing the luxurious comfort of having cool air blown up your ... err, exothermic posterior effect ... during most of your trips?
Sponsored