Jmiller929

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES Mercedes SUV
Why are you yelling at me?
Haha and I just looked and still see the colors.
Sorry just easier to type. I saw it last night, but cannot find now. Where are they at.
Sponsored

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

Ah, same here, not sure why the abrp numbers are so far off when the specs are similar. They'll prob vary once we get epa
I am curious about A Better Routeplanner and the assumptions made on the site. For one thing as mentioned above, they have two very different consumption numbers listed for the R1S and R1T: The R1S has an assumed reference consumption of 459 WH/MI and the R1T has an assumed reference consumption of 516 WH/Mi @ 65MPH.

ajdelange, you mentioned in the Rivian Navigation thread " Assuming the efficiency of the charger to be about 90% these numbers say that consumption is going to be around 420 Wh/mi. "

Do you really think this is the case?

When I ran numbers comparing a long trip using 459 WH/MI & 420 WH/MI, the difference was significant.

How accurate are the ABRP numbers and calculations typically? I know that no one outside of Rivian really knows the consumption numbers but which reference consumption do you think is more accurate?

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Just was thinking maybe rivian went with the 135 kilowatt pack because they saw that roughly a third of pre-order holders wanted the mid-size pack, and as opposed to scaling production to meet the demands of the larger 180 kilowatt pack they could really reduce their overall workload by only now having to build one third of the cars that are 66% of the battery packs needed. This would have actually drop their pack production down by over 50% needed to meet pre-orders?

Again just thinking for an explanation on why they would go with the less expensive models when they openly stated from beginning largest pack size and most expensive model orders would be met first.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Until now, we thought that the 135KW was the longest range available with 7 seats, while the 180KW wasn't really an option. So we pre-ordered, expecting a wait in line like everyone else. Now, it seems that the 180KW MIGHT be available with 7-seats, so the disappointment sets in.
This mindset baffles me.

"Before, we thought the product we wanted would literally not be available. Now, we find it WILL be available! But I just have to wait a bit longer for it."

If I had my heart set on 180kwh, 7-seater R1S, I'd be over the moon!

Some people will never be happy.

Sponsored

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
From my extremely limited, and possibly incorrect knowledge of the RADAR vs. LIDAR topic, LIDAR is much more expensive to implement and has limitations at night and during inclement weather. Possibly a reason for going the RADAR route? Toss up guess!

EDIT: My quote response didn't capture the original quote....haha...which was a comment about Rivian's decision about going the RADAR route instead of LIDAR.
Previously they stated they were going to use Lidar AND Radar. Im pretty disappointed about this development.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I am curious about A Better Routeplanner and the assumptions made on the site. For one thing as mentioned above, they have two very different consumption numbers listed for the R1S and R1T: The R1S has an assumed reference consumption of 459 WH/MI and the R1T has an assumed reference consumption of 516 WH/Mi @ 65MPH.

ajdelange, you mentioned in the Rivian Navigation thread " Assuming the efficiency of the charger to be about 90% these numbers say that consumption is going to be around 420 Wh/mi. "

Do you really think this is the case?

When I ran numbers comparing a long trip using 459 WH/MI & 420 WH/MI, the difference was significant.

How accurate are the ABRP numbers and calculations typically? I know that no one outside of Rivian really knows the consumption numbers but which reference consumption do you think is more accurate?
I don't see any weight specs on the Rivian site...

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Previously they stated they were going to use Lidar AND Radar. Im pretty disappointed about this development.
Why is this so upsetting to people? Is it because Lidar is sexy and unique? It seems like it's unique because nobody is using it because everyone is realizing they can meet the actual user requirement without it. Lidar isn't a requirement. Being able to reliably perceive the world in order to drive the truck is the requirement. If they can deliver on that, I don't really care which final suite of sensors they landed on.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
No power/multifunction tailgate : Seems odd, my 2011 Saab 9-4x Has a Power Trunk....
The Rivian R1T has a power trunk. It's just in the front.

Which - depending on when Tesla and GM ship - will literally be the first pickup ever to have a power frunk.

Your Saab, however, doesn't even *have* a tailgate for its non-existent truck bed.

Rivian: 1
Saab: 0

;)

Sponsored

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Why is this so upsetting to people? Is it because Lidar is sexy and unique? It seems like it's unique because nobody is using it because everyone is realizing they can meet the actual user requirement without it. Lidar isn't a requirement. Being able to reliably perceive the world in order to drive the truck is the requirement. If they can deliver on that, I don't really care which final suite of sensors they landed on.
I think you misunderstand our concern. It has nothing to do with Lidar vs Radar (or 135kw vs 180kw).

It is simply that Rivian said one thing and delivered another.

How can we trust anything they tell us now? What else will they say and then do differently?

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Just was thinking maybe rivian went with the 135 kilowatt pack because they saw that roughly a third of pre-order holders wanted the mid-size pack, and as opposed to scaling production to meet the demands of the larger 180 kilowatt pack they could really reduce their overall workload by only now having to build one third of the cars that are 66% of the battery packs needed. This would have actually drop their pack production down by over 50% needed to meet pre-orders?

Again just thinking for an explanation on why they would go with the less expensive models when they openly stated from beginning largest pack size and most expensive model orders would be met first.
I suspect the issue is that the battery production capability is not there for them to support the bigger packs, rather than "scaling back". They will be marking up the price of the batteries to make a profit, the more they sell the more the profit, so I cannot believe they would reduce production of the batteries intentionally.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I think you misunderstand our concern. It has nothing to do with Lidar vs Radar (or 135kw vs 180kw).

How can we trust anything they tell us now? What else will they say and then do differently?
That's why everything they talked about was preliminary specs (and much of what we are seeing still holds this classification). Testing and development along with preproduction units should impact the final product. Sometimes with good results, sometimes it means cutting or changing something they hoped to include. Sometimes it is a cost issue. Sometimes a production or supply issue. Sometimes a performance issue. Often striking a balance between all of those factors. If you are not going to incorporate what you learn from testing, why do it?

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic

We are talking about a preproduction vehicle that was in testing. Their intentions might not have met reality. That doesnā€™t mean they shouldnā€™t be trusted. For all we know they are doing this in ours and their best interest.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
We are talking about a preproduction vehicle that was in testing. Their intentions might not have met reality. That doesnā€™t mean they shouldnā€™t be trusted. For all we know they are doing this in ours and their best interest.
So, honestly now, you would not mind if they switched to a dual motor instead of a quad motor design? That is exactly what you are saying here.
Sponsored