Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

For those of you questioning our disappointment with the lack of or delay of an R1S 180kWh. Here's a real world example of where the 130kWh R1S doesn't fulfill my needs. My youngest daughter is starting to look at colleges. Texas A&M is a real consideration given their Engineering program. My oldest daughter is a Freshman here in town at UT but has friends at Texas A&M so we have made the trip several times these past few months to take her to stay with a friend for the weekend. It's a short hour and a half drive each way. And I can see us making this trip much more often if my youngest ends up at Texas A&M. These are the results of ABRP with the same settings for the 135kWh and 180kWh R1S. Granted I have not looked at plug share or any other options... this is just ABRP and what it thinks I should do with both vehicles. As you can see with the 130kWh pack I have to drive past the college by roughly 35 miles to charge up before turning around to head home. With the 180kWh pack I can make the round trip without stopping. Saving 74 miles and an hour and a half each time I make the trip. There is just a ton of open space in Texas where the biggest pack is going to be a huge plus. Ok - I'm done complaining... Thanks for letting me vent one last time.
For the record in both cases I chose 120% of speed and 500lbs of cargo/people.
home_to_collegestation_R1S-135kWh.png

home_to_collegestation_R1S-180kWh.png
I know you said you didn't look at plug share, but it appears there are a lot of chargers in college station (those little gray dots on your map). Were you just looking for 200kw+ chargers?
Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
@Chunk , not sure if you noticed my avatar. No fist waving against ICE cars. Low mileage, high performance (from my era standards) Camaro in my garage! I wonder if I could get a skateboard from Rivian for this?
GM is coming out with an E-Crate, based off the Bolt. They put one in a 77 full sized Chevy Blazer.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Rivian site states "high-power DC fast charging at over 200kW for sustained periods". Peak charging could indeed be 300 kW.
If they can maintain a minimum of at least 200 kW to 80% (or better), that would be a significant bump over Tesla drops below 200 kW at ~25% SOC. Some people will start their charge session when they drop that low..
zka9ty9tnnk21.jpg

I have no idea on how to speculate on the Hummer, but the Bolt has a very rapid and severe taper at well below 50% SOC.
Wrong about the Bolt, I own one. The Bolt holds full charge rate (56KW) to 50% SOC, and then holds 44KW to 67% SOC. Above that it drops significantly to 25KW and tapers again at 83% to 16KW.

Tesla's taper early because they are charging at 2.5 to 3 C rates. The Hummer will have a 200KW battery and at 350KW that is only 1.75 C rate, so I am sure it will hold to at least 50% SOC, or more.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
There is a removable roof option, but it delays the delivery to mid 2022. That is what I want, not some glass roof. I live in the desert heat. So as others have stated, I am now stuck waiting until at least mid 2022 for removable roof plus 180KW, why did I bother to pre-order?
Your preorder will allow you to get the removable roof and 180 kWh pack before others that want the same configuration.
I think it unreasonable to expect that they would go down the list of those that ordered (by date) and build whatever configuration they want. I always assumed the first vehicles produced would be fairly similar with limited choices. I guess I thought others would assume the same.

Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Do you know if you can you upgrade if you buy one now or do you have to just wait until 2022 for the increased range?
I asked this in a different thread. Word on the street was that battery upgrades are highly unlikely..

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Do you know if you can you upgrade if you buy one now or do you have to just wait until 2022 for the increased range?
Not really cost-effective since the 180 actually required space in the rear seat storage area. Probably not likely Rivian would provide an upgrade even if eventually better batteries fit in the same form factor. Maybe a third party option eventually.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
I verified with support, that Tank Turn is still there!
Interesting. i wonder if it will be an option or standard. Since the drive trains are the same in all models I would think it wouldn't need to be optioned in but it is such a crowd getter that they could make some extra money making it that way. And how will it work ? A separate button somewhere as you wouldn't want that thing to come on accidentally. We need more information about this feature as it is so unique.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Interesting. i wonder if it will be an option or standard. Since the drive trains are the same in all models I would think it wouldn't need to be optioned in but it is such a crowd getter that they could make some extra money making it that way. And how will it work ? A separate button somewhere as you wouldn't want that thing to come on accidentally. We need more information about this feature as it is so unique.
They're not charging for Drive+. Seems unlikely they'd charge for TT unless it required additional controls or something.

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Whew, just finally caught up on 18 pages of comments! My thoughts are similar to many posting here: I'm still excited, but bummed about the delay for the 180kW. I assumed that Rivian would start with the bigger battery pack (e.g. more expensive) then move to the cheaper versions, which was ok with me since I'm willing to pay extra for the longer range.

Many people have mentioned that 300mi range (for the 135kW) would be sufficient, but I think that is missing the point for some of us. I have an e-Golf with a 100 mi range and I have never needed more range for my occasional city driving. However, I'm almost always thinking about the range, even if I'm only going to use about half of it. If I had the option to add another 100 mi (which I don't), I would gladly pay for that just to eliminate the range anxiety.

The option of having an extra 100 mi of range for the R1T is not as much about what I can do with that actual range, but about the luxury of not having to worry, although I realize that not everyone wants to, or can, pay for the extra range.

Sponsored

Jmiller929

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES Mercedes SUV
Interior and exterior options. Also just finished a chat with Rebecca and she said keep and eye on the email!!!
YESTERDAY THERE WERE SLIDES OF THE VARIOUS COLORS, CAN'T FIND THEM NOW. ANY IDEAS?

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Tire size question:
Advantages/disadvantages for the different wheel sizes? (R1T for me)

I heard Emme Hall mention that she wished smaller wheels were an option and it seems that this confirms it.

Mainly she said that the advantage of the larger wheels was a stronger braking system, but that she rarely had to use the brakes so she'd rather have the smaller wheels. (I'm guessing this has to do with ride comfort?) Also, there was an implication that smaller wheel sizes meant for taller sidewalls on the tires and that tires with taller sidewalls were less likely to flat. True??

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
YESTERDAY THERE WERE SLIDES OF THE VARIOUS COLORS, CAN'T FIND THEM NOW. ANY IDEAS?
Still there if you go to 02 Experience and then click to slide 3. At least on the R1S..... (Same with R1T)

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Why are you yelling at me?
Haha and I just looked and still see the colors.