OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I would be blown away if there isn't some type of sunshade available for the panoramic glass roof. Major disappointment.
They have confirmed there will be no shade with the glass roof, just a UV coating.
Sponsored

trickledown

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500, Mercedes SL550, 1969 Camaro
Occupation
retired
This seems to be the impression they are leaving. Launch Green/Adventure Package - June 2021. other colors Adventure or Explorer Package - Jan. 2022
I can't understand how Rivian hasn't addressed this confusion. It quite a simple question actually. Does the Launch Edition only come in that "Green" exterior color and Black interior? Search the forum and you'll find total confusion on this. I guess Henry Ford said it best with the Model T. "You can have any color you want as long as it's black" :)

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1S LE
At present prices of about $150/kwh the difference between 135&180KW is about $6750. But, the 180 variant has some batteries under the rear seat I believe so that may increase the cost some for the engineering difference.
Just like Tesla used to charge about 10K for the difference in batteries. In which case it will put the car with Adventure Package at about 85K+

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
You are absolutely right if my youngest goes there... as far as dropping off the older one it's a complete turn around operation because it is still uncool to have dad driving you around after about 8th grade..... (we just aren't ready to let her take a car that far away). You are absolutely correct though that our use case will change in that the oldest will drive herself sooner or later and the youngest will be a longer stop.
Dude, our daughter was driving herself cross country at 18. Checking herself into hotels by herself, etc. (she was a racecar driver until an injury cut that short, she's fine now and in college. Frankly, a better, if less thrilling, result).

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I can't understand how Rivian hasn't addressed this confusion. It quite a simple question actually. Does the Launch Edition only come in that "Green" exterior color and Black interior? Search the forum and you'll find total confusion on this. I guess Henry Ford said it best with the Model T. "You can have any color you want as long as it's black" :)
Why is there confusion about the word "option" as it's clearly used in "Special Launch Green paint color option" on the official website?

Sponsored

Hangryboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S GW FE Reservation
Anyone have estimates on the range difference with the 21's and 22's on the R1S? I asked the team about it and they didn't give me a solid answer.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Anyone have estimates on the range difference with the 21's and 22's on the R1S? I asked the team about it and they didn't give me a solid answer.
This video has been posted before, but is worth the few minutes to watch it - in short, about 10%, plus/minus:

However, it's complicated. We don't know what the wheel design on the Rivian will do to airflow - it may be much more similar between the wheel sizes (or worse).

Anyway, smaller wheels and taller tires are a noticeably more comfortable ride. The height adjustability of the Rivian also complicates the range estimate though. I'm going to guess that the final EPA range will be done with an adjustment formula that Rivian provides (as they're allowed to do) and is at the optimal speed and optimal ride height, whatever that finally works out to be.

Darrellbu

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volkswagen Touareg TDI
Yes, I’m not happy about the glass roof. My Tesla X has one and the tinting isn’t enough for me, I must use the supplied cross hatch supplemental insert, which does work. So hopefully Rivian will do something similar.
Is this not the same expected technology as used on newer Boeing 787 and 777x aircraft? You can be in direct sunlight at altitude and it's more than enough protection from light and heat.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! gentex_777x_edw.5c34bcad36493

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Is this not the same expected technology as used on newer Boeing 787 and 777x aircraft? You can be in direct sunlight at altitude and it's more than enough protection from light and heat.

gentex_777x_edw.5c34bcad36493.png
No, they cut that option. Just a normal glass roof.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I’ll just repost this here.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! 591CA696-024C-4E68-A43C-1E9A5B296BDA

Sponsored

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
No, they cut that option. Just a normal glass roof.
As far as I’m aware they haven’t formally cut it. My conversation with their online chat support indicated that the normal glass roof is standard, but they declined to say if the electrochromic would be available as an option. The most the chat person would say is that “all available options will be viewable in the configurator”

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I think panoramic is the only one that made the cut for 2021. Bugs me there wasn't at least a hard top option though. That was how I planned on trimming cost a bit.
There is a removable roof option, but it delays the delivery to mid 2022. That is what I want, not some glass roof. I live in the desert heat. So as others have stated, I am now stuck waiting until at least mid 2022 for removable roof plus 180KW, why did I bother to pre-order?

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
The company is just delaying the release of the 180kWh pack, it's not underdelivering on it's product. There seems to be something lost here by those who expected the 180kWh pack option and suddenly turned sour at the idea of having to wait 6 more months. Apparently, that's justification to switch to a $40-60k more expensive Hummer? I'm not sure how that makes sense especially when there is virtually no chance you get that Hummer before you get this Rivian with the 180kWh pack.

More importantly, there is still nothing comparable in the EV space to the 135kWh version of either of these vehicles. I'm amazed that they are going to deliver them at this price point with the options included. And, importantly, they didn't pull the whole let's have $20-40k of options and only sell at the high end of that for the first 2 years. Think about how the R1S compares to an Audi e-tron, which costs a similar $70-80k. Or consider what you get in an F150 Raptor ($75-115k) vs the R1T. From my perspective, it's night and day. They are building at least 95% of what they promised and in some ways more.

All that said, I am interested to see what they have planned for the adventure charging network. 300 or even 400 rated miles may not be sufficient if you're going into the wilderness without a charger way out there. Sure the larger pack might enable some trips that aren't possible with the 135, but not many without additional charging once you're in the "adventurous areas". My view is they need to deliver on this too, but it's too early to know.

As for the details, there is no way they were going to please every single person on every single feature. So they don't deliver lidar, well does that mean the product won't have semi-autonomous driving? Nope. To describe this as underdelivering is ridiculous. That's like saying that the flashlight they're including is way overdelivering! It's a cool perk, but it's not overdelivering.

As for what they are delivering - 110V outlets in the bed, an air compressor, 68cu ft of storage in a truck, 4 motors with individual ratings over 200hp each, sustained charging over 200kW, quasi luxury interior - those things are delivering. And, they're delivering them at an attainable or 'aspirational' not astronomical (see Hummer, Taycan, Model X Performance, etc), price. That's not something you'll find elsewhere for $75k anytime soon. That should be the point.
Good points all around. One thing I hope is that they have a bed cover solar panel kit, or even just a trickle charge plug somewhere that you can input power to the truck besides the main charge port. Imagine having your rooftop tent covered with solar, or even just fold o it solar panels on a bed cover to give you 100 square feet of solar for charging 10-20 miles per day or so. It would go a long way towards mitigating charge anxiety during off-road trips longer than 10-20 miles or so.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

So then how can we expect to mitigate excess, unwanted light or heat? Doesn't add up even if just a UV coating.
It could be photochromic like some eyeglasses are or just a tint like they put on gondolas. I remember when Disney put their new gondola system in and people were loosing their minds about no AC in them and they put special tint (ceramic?) on that keeps the temp way lower than anywhere else. Most factories just put regular tint on their cars and many people go pay for extra special tint. Who knows what the configurator will show.
Sponsored