Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Two Things: Glass Roof & Trailer Hitch

On the glass roof...will there be no microfiber cover? No way to block the sun, or shade the little ones with a stock product? Is that a bit of a concern for anyone?

Trailer hitch. i see no mention. Does the LE or adventure package include a trailer hitch set up?
Major concern, I dont use my sunroof because of eyestrain. I cant imagine it wont be able to be opaque in some way. Looking forward to Monday.
Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

No cover of any kind, but the glass has been “carefully UV tinted to keep out unwanted heat“.

defintely a concern for me.
As I have said in other forums, I have the pano roof in my Tesla MS. I live in Florida. When showing people the car for the first time, they get in and look at the dash, they look at the Alcantara on the dash and up the A-pillar. Then as their eyes move up the A-pillar, they finally realize the roof is all glass. There is not an overwhelming sense of light or HEAT in the cabin of the car. But once you see the roof, you can't stop looking. It is beautiful to look out of. ZERO concerns for additional light or heat. Give me the pano roof...

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The company is just delaying the release of the 180kWh pack, it's not underdelivering on it's product. There seems to be something lost here by those who expected the 180kWh pack option and suddenly turned sour at the idea of having to wait 6 more months. Apparently, that's justification to switch to a $40-60k more expensive Hummer? I'm not sure how that makes sense especially when there is virtually no chance you get that Hummer before you get this Rivian with the 180kWh pack.

More importantly, there is still nothing comparable in the EV space to the 135kWh version of either of these vehicles. I'm amazed that they are going to deliver them at this price point with the options included. And, importantly, they didn't pull the whole let's have $20-40k of options and only sell at the high end of that for the first 2 years. Think about how the R1S compares to an Audi e-tron, which costs a similar $70-80k. Or consider what you get in an F150 Raptor ($75-115k) vs the R1T. From my perspective, it's night and day. They are building at least 95% of what they promised and in some ways more.

All that said, I am interested to see what they have planned for the adventure charging network. 300 or even 400 rated miles may not be sufficient if you're going into the wilderness without a charger way out there. Sure the larger pack might enable some trips that aren't possible with the 135, but not many without additional charging once you're in the "adventurous areas". My view is they need to deliver on this too, but it's too early to know.

As for the details, there is no way they were going to please every single person on every single feature. So they don't deliver lidar, well does that mean the product won't have semi-autonomous driving? Nope. To describe this as underdelivering is ridiculous. That's like saying that the flashlight they're including is way overdelivering! It's a cool perk, but it's not overdelivering.

As for what they are delivering - 110V outlets in the bed, an air compressor, 68cu ft of storage in a truck, 4 motors with individual ratings over 200hp each, sustained charging over 200kW, quasi luxury interior - those things are delivering. And, they're delivering them at an attainable or 'aspirational' not astronomical (see Hummer, Taycan, Model X Performance, etc), price. That's not something you'll find elsewhere for $75k anytime soon. That should be the point.
I have never used the term "underdeliver" because as you point out, the 180 kWh pack has only been delayed, not cancelled. What I have expressed is frustration that they are not following through on their repeated statement that they would be offering both the 180 and 135 packs at launch. I also expressed that there is no other electric SUV even close to coming to market so I have no choice but to wait for Rivian or buy another ICE vehicle if it comes down to that.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Riviot
As I have said in other forums, I have the pano roof in my Tesla MS. I live in Florida. When showing people the car for the first time, they get in and look at the dash, they look at the Alcantara on the dash and up the A-pillar. Then as their eyes move up the A-pillar, they finally realize the roof is all glass. There is not an overwhelming sense of light or HEAT in the cabin of the car. But once you see the roof, you can't stop looking. It is beautiful to look out of. ZERO concerns for additional light or heat. Give me the pano roof...
Thank you for mitigating my concerns. The comments from the Rebelle drivers helped as well.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
For those of you questioning our disappointment with the lack of or delay of an R1S 180kWh. Here's a real world example of where the 130kWh R1S doesn't fulfill my needs. My youngest daughter is starting to look at colleges. Texas A&M is a real consideration given their Engineering program. My oldest daughter is a Freshman here in town at UT but has friends at Texas A&M so we have made the trip several times these past few months to take her to stay with a friend for the weekend. It's a short hour and a half drive each way. And I can see us making this trip much more often if my youngest ends up at Texas A&M. These are the results of ABRP with the same settings for the 135kWh and 180kWh R1S. Granted I have not looked at plug share or any other options... this is just ABRP and what it thinks I should do with both vehicles. As you can see with the 130kWh pack I have to drive past the college by roughly 35 miles to charge up before turning around to head home. With the 180kWh pack I can make the round trip without stopping. Saving 74 miles and an hour and a half each time I make the trip. There is just a ton of open space in Texas where the biggest pack is going to be a huge plus. Ok - I'm done complaining... Thanks for letting me vent one last time.
For the record in both cases I chose 120% of speed and 500lbs of cargo/people.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! home_to_collegestation_R1S-135kWh

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! home_to_collegestation_R1S-180kWh

Sponsored

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
For those of you questioning our disappointment with the lack of or delay of an R1S 180kWh. Here's a real world example of where the 130kWh R1S doesn't fulfill my needs. My youngest daughter is starting to look at colleges. Texas A&M is a real consideration given their Engineering program. My oldest daughter is a Freshman here in town at UT but has friends at Texas A&M so we have made the trip several times these past few months to take her to stay with a friend for the weekend. It's a short hour and a half drive each way. And I can see us making this trip much more often if my youngest ends up at Texas A&M. These are the results of ABRP with the same settings for the 135kWh and 180kWh R1S. Granted I have not looked at plug share or any other options... this is just ABRP and what it thinks I should do with both vehicles. As you can see with the 130kWh pack I have to drive past the college by roughly 35 miles to charge up before turning around to head home. With the 180kWh pack I can make the round trip without stopping. Saving 74 miles and an hour and a half each time I make the trip. There is just a ton of open space in Texas where the biggest pack is going to be a huge plus. Ok - I'm done complaining... Thanks for letting me vent one last time.
Presumably you'd stay at the destination for a few hours? Not just go and come back right away? Looks like you'd need about 30 kWh of charge at the destination. At a regular J1772 charger (which there should be tons in that location), you'd get that in about 3 1/2 hours. So, assuming you'd stay a while and recharge while you are there, you should be good?

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
I have never used the term "underdeliver" because as you point out, the 180 kWh pack has only been delayed, not cancelled. What I have expressed is frustration that they are not following through on their repeated statement that they would be offering both the 180 and 135 packs at launch. I also expressed that there is no other electric SUV even close to coming to market so I have no choice but to wait for Rivian or buy another ICE vehicle if it comes down to that.
Fair enough. I can't argue that this leaves leaves some frustration and disappointment. My reaction was to the host of comments here expressing that this news is generally underwhelming and underdelivering, which is not yours. My bad.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Riviot

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Exciting, but frankly, I am seriously underwhelmed.

If you are 'seriously underwhelmed' it makes me wonder what exactly you were expecting. All of us are probably a bit disappointed about something - but I expect most people are pretty happy overall with what Rivian is showing here.

What gives you the impression there will be any sort of shade? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Every vehicle I have owned over the past 20+ years with some type of glass roof has come with a shade - I expect this one will also.

100% agree on this one. Tesla feels like a ripoff on that.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
home_to_collegestation_R1S-135kWh.png

home_to_collegestation_R1S-180kWh.png
Did you choose the r1t or r1s? I've seen a big difference in the consumption number from abrp.... just wondering which is correct

Sponsored

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Presumably you'd stay at the destination for a few hours? Not just go and come back right away? Looks like you'd need about 30 kWh of charge at the destination. At a regular J1772 charger (which there should be tons in that location), you'd get that in about 3 1/2 hours. So, assuming you'd stay a while and recharge while you are there, you should be good?
You are absolutely right if my youngest goes there... as far as dropping off the older one it's a complete turn around operation because it is still uncool to have dad driving you around after about 8th grade..... (we just aren't ready to let her take a car that far away). You are absolutely correct though that our use case will change in that the oldest will drive herself sooner or later and the youngest will be a longer stop.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Did you choose the r1t or r1s? I've seen a big difference in the consumption number from abrp.... just wondering which is correct
All of my planning has been done with the R1S.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Ah, same here, not sure why the abrp numbers are so far off when the specs are similar. They'll prob vary once we get epa
Everyone also seems to be ignoring the "+" in the 300+ figure.
When Chevy was touting the Bolt, they said 200+ up until they released the EPA test figures. It came in at 238 or 19% greater.
300+ could be 302, 320, or even 350.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
To each his own... I live in a year-round hot and sunny climate and I can't stand the glass roof in my Tesla. One reason I was looking forward to the Rivian was the hard roof. I would be blown away if there isn't some type of sunshade available for the panoramic glass roof. Major disappointment.
Sponsored