Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Just jumping in to remind everyone that the site isn't showing everything of course. Like you would see on ford or gm site they are showing the new tech and highlights. When browsing a Ford explorer they don't show heated steering wheels, power seats, etc on the highlight marketing pages, you see that stuff when you configure or look at the sticker for a prebuilt one. Not saying the 180 tailgate and range are going to be there, but power lift gate, heated steering wheel, etc will probably be seen in configurator. Surprised the even mentioned the heated seats in this material.
Sponsored

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
Hopefully the configurator shows a clear picture of the trunk with the seats down. Wondering if it'll be flat...
They say "nearly flat" on the Utility page.

"And since the seats fold nearly flat, you can lay in the back and look up at the stars through the all-glass roof."

Tyker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda3
I am fairly disappointed like most of you. In all the earlier videos/interviewers at particular events it was stressed that the models shown were production intent (Gase said this). That’s production intent with the Lidar, the power lift gate, the electrochromatic roof, etc. Things change, covid, blah blah, but I think we have good reason to be disappointed. It is what it is, however..

aranjany

First Name
Anil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I had question to Rivian:
will I be able to change my configuration before the order go into prod. ?

Ans:
Yes, definitely. We will be confirming selections with everyone prior to going into production. Your configuration won't be locked in until we confirm those selections with you.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I also had a chat with Rivian this morning... this is the only nugget of information that I think maybe new info:
"Well, I can say you can expect Rivian to be releasing more details about the R1S specifically. Definitely be on the look out in the next few weeks. I'm not allowed to provide too much details surrounding that announcement but that date will be released very soon, along with a super cool video."

I think this means I will go ahead and configure a launch edition and then consider changing it if/when they release more info around the R1S. Of course this puts me in the position of having to make a really tough decision if I am asked to commit prior to any real information is released about the 180kWh version.

Sponsored

aranjany

First Name
Anil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I also had a chat with Rivian this morning... this is the only nugget of information that I think maybe new info:
"Well, I can say you can expect Rivian to be releasing more details about the R1S specifically. Definitely be on the look out in the next few weeks. I'm not allowed to provide too much details surrounding that announcement but that date will be released very soon, along with a super cool video."

I think this means I will go ahead and configure a launch edition and then consider changing it if/when they release more info around the R1S. Of course this puts me in the position of having to make a really tough decision if I am asked to commit prior to any real information is released about the 180kWh version.
They told me there will be R1S with 180KW and 7 seater ...but will be announced later for configuration...(may be in June 2021)

tscanjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Tech Sales
Two Things: Glass Roof & Trailer Hitch

On the glass roof...will there be no microfiber cover? No way to block the sun, or shade the little ones with a stock product? Is that a bit of a concern for anyone?

Trailer hitch. i see no mention. Does the LE or adventure package include a trailer hitch set up?

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Maybe Rivian shot themselves in the foot here, mainly for people who have a family of 6+ and must have 7 seats with the longest possible range for frequent out of state family travel?

Until now, we thought that the 135KW was the longest range available with 7 seats, while the 180KW wasn't really an option. So we pre-ordered, expecting a wait in line like everyone else. Now, it seems that the 180KW MIGHT be available with 7-seats, so the disappointment sets in. Do we just bite the bullet and get the 135K or do we wait probably another year or maybe 2 for the 180KW model? This is typically understandable for a launch vehicle. What I am worried about mostly, what if my number comes up, and there is no news about the 180Kw 7-seater? Do I skip and gamble on the fact that there might not be a 180Kw 7-seater coming later, and now I lost my spot? Or do I just get the 135kw, and right after delivery they announce the 180Kw model? however, if the longer range was a 150KW version, then it's not a big deal, 15KW is minimal compared to 45KW extra.

I think I would be disappointed whether that info was on the new site or not as far as the range, except now you will have that voice of uncertainty in your head until your number comes up.

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
To change the tide against ICE cars you need to offer a BEV that satisfies the needs of the consumer. The 180 kWh R1S is the only BEV vehicle remotely close to coming to market that meets my needs (Lucid Gravity is the only other distant possibility I'm even aware of at this point). I'm buying a vehicle that needs to support the transportation needs of my family. I'm not making a charitable donation here. Outside of Tesla, early BEVs have not been particularly well received because of pathetic range and a focus on compact sedans (even ICE sedans don't sell like they used to).
The company is just delaying the release of the 180kWh pack, it's not underdelivering on it's product. There seems to be something lost here by those who expected the 180kWh pack option and suddenly turned sour at the idea of having to wait 6 more months. Apparently, that's justification to switch to a $40-60k more expensive Hummer? I'm not sure how that makes sense especially when there is virtually no chance you get that Hummer before you get this Rivian with the 180kWh pack.

More importantly, there is still nothing comparable in the EV space to the 135kWh version of either of these vehicles. I'm amazed that they are going to deliver them at this price point with the options included. And, importantly, they didn't pull the whole let's have $20-40k of options and only sell at the high end of that for the first 2 years. Think about how the R1S compares to an Audi e-tron, which costs a similar $70-80k. Or consider what you get in an F150 Raptor ($75-115k) vs the R1T. From my perspective, it's night and day. They are building at least 95% of what they promised and in some ways more.

All that said, I am interested to see what they have planned for the adventure charging network. 300 or even 400 rated miles may not be sufficient if you're going into the wilderness without a charger way out there. Sure the larger pack might enable some trips that aren't possible with the 135, but not many without additional charging once you're in the "adventurous areas". My view is they need to deliver on this too, but it's too early to know.

As for the details, there is no way they were going to please every single person on every single feature. So they don't deliver lidar, well does that mean the product won't have semi-autonomous driving? Nope. To describe this as underdelivering is ridiculous. That's like saying that the flashlight they're including is way overdelivering! It's a cool perk, but it's not overdelivering.

As for what they are delivering - 110V outlets in the bed, an air compressor, 68cu ft of storage in a truck, 4 motors with individual ratings over 200hp each, sustained charging over 200kW, quasi luxury interior - those things are delivering. And, they're delivering them at an attainable or 'aspirational' not astronomical (see Hummer, Taycan, Model X Performance, etc), price. That's not something you'll find elsewhere for $75k anytime soon. That should be the point.

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T

On the glass roof...will there be no microfiber cover? No way to block the sun, or shade the little ones with a stock product? Is that a bit of a concern for anyone?
No cover of any kind, but the glass has been “carefully UV tinted to keep out unwanted heat“.

defintely a concern for me.

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Sounds to me that the true configurator date was supposed to be the end of the year. At that time, they would've have an idea of the 180kwh pack. I guess their mistake on the old site forced them to rush the configurator...

tscanjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Tech Sales
No cover of any kind, but the glass has been “carefully UV tinted to keep out unwanted heat“.

defintely a concern for me.
hitch??

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Not related to battery range, but did anyone else pick up on the mention of games on the touchscreen?!

35E30BF2-741D-4D66-A62D-B57903FF88BE.jpeg
I missed that! Look I have played with the games on an older Tesla, I liked the whimsy of it. It would definitely keep the kids busy during a charge stop. It will also put their grubby mitts on the screen as well.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Was Musk just bad at explaining himself when it came to Lidar and he actually knew something? I just assumed cheap, but...
Many reasons given over time for no Lidar. First it was looks and cost. Elon didn’t want a Lidar bulge out the top. But the main reason was that Lidar doesn’t give you anything that in theory you can get from radar and vision. Lidar has better resolution than radar, but Lidar is impacted by rain, snow and fog whereas radar isn’t. Lidar has much worse resolution than vision. Lidar has interference problems if many cars use Lidar, they are all shooting laser beams at each other. Elon has stated many times that Lidar is a crutch. The theory being that if you solve the vision perception problem, you don’t need Lidar. He’s right, IMHO.

Last edited:

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software

Trailer hitch. i see no mention. Does the LE or adventure package include a trailer hitch set up?
Yes, I’m not happy about the glass roof. My Tesla X has one and the tinting isn’t enough for me, I must use the supplied cross hatch supplemental insert, which does work. So hopefully Rivian will do something similar.
Sponsored