OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Can confirm the 180 tailgate was cut....

Glad you asked! To deliver the R1T and R1S as quickly as possible, we’ve simplified our vehicle offerings. the 180 degree tailgate introduced substantial cost and complexity that we didn't feel created enough customer value. BUT Tank Turn will indeed still be there!
That really stinks. Was a feature I was looking forward to. Kind of lame excuse, too. The auto show model had a fully functional power 180 tailgate 2 years ago.
Sponsored

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
I have to say, I’m not disappointed or underwhelmed. Although I did expect the 180 kW battery first, if it’s easier for them to make the 135 kW it’s no big deal to me. I was waffling on either battery anyways. The price is what shocking to me, in a good way. This seems like a great value for either the truck or the SUV. I was honestly expecting prices from like $70,000 to $115,000 like the Hummer. I’m very excited. Also, side note, this is the busiest I’ve seen this forum, and probably the most I’ve ever posted in one day
I agree with you completely. There's a whole lotta whiners bitching about this and that. Maybe this is most people's first time pre-ordering a new vehicle.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Heated and ventilated seats are called out in the Launch Edition and Adventure package, with the Explorer package only having heated seats.

I was concerned after seeing nothing about a heated steering wheel... Per Emma from chat support, all Rivians will have heated steering wheels. Woohoo!
definitely gonna need it in Central Oregon.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Dang, I thought Vegan Leather was from cows that didn't eat meat. After searching, it turns out it is just pleather...
surely you're joking.

Sponsored

1973LT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
If you compare the Rivian Launch Edition to a Diesel Jeep Wrangler or a similarly capable Ford Bronco, this is a no brainer. After the federal tax credit and the fact that you are no longer going to a gas station for an "adventure vehicle" that gets at best 25 mpg, I just don't get the downside of going with this vehicle.

craptacular

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
I agree with you completely. There's a whole lotta whiners bitching about this and that. Maybe this is most people's first time pre-ordering a new vehicle.
This actually is my first time pre ordering a vehicle, LOL. I was already prepared to wait for the 180 kW battery, so no real disappointment there for me. I know others might not feel the same way though. I think leaving out the 180 degree (or power?) tailgate is a mistake. It echos my lidar comments, where they have talked about and promoted certain features which were unique to the Rivian brand. Not trying to complain as I think it will still be an awesome truck/SUV.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
If you compare the Rivian Launch Edition to a Diesel Jeep Wrangler or a similarly capable Ford Bronco, this is a no brainer. After the federal tax credit and the fact that you are no longer going to a gas station for an "adventure vehicle" that gets at best 25 mpg, I just don't get the downside of going with this vehicle.
Actually, it mostly isn't about the vehicle. It's about the company. All along they said they would underpromise and overdeliver.

Well, clearly the opposite is true. So, what else are they going to renege on? Service, chargers, insurance, financing, deliveries? Way more questions about the company today than there were yesterday.

Sponsored

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
This actually is my first time pre ordering a vehicle, LOL. I was already prepared to wait for the 180 kW battery, so no real disappointment there for me. I know others might not feel the same way though. I think leaving out the 180 degree (or power?) tailgate is a mistake. It echos my lidar comments, where they have talked about and promoted certain features which were unique to the Rivian brand. Not trying to complain as I think it will still be an awesome truck/SUV.
I agree that this still will be an amazing SUV. My issue is that I am one of the earliest pro-order holders (I put $1k down during the LA auto show) and to get the large pack I will have to wait 7 months after launch. I might as well have kept my grand and just bought it in 2022. That is what is disappointing. But it is what it is.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
Actually, it mostly isn't about the vehicle. It's about the company. All along they said they would underpromise and overdeliver.

Well, clearly the opposite is true. So, what else are they going to renege on? Service, chargers, insurance, financing, deliveries? Way more questions about the company today than there were yesterday.
This is exactly what I am thinking also. I am underwhelmed with this. While still a great vehicle, I would have expected to be more excited. No power tailgate, no large battery at launch..... Do we even know if the frunk is power open and close?

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Seems like Lidar is out of the picture as well. They specifically reference 10 cameras, ultrasound, and radar.
Anyone know who/what technology they are using for Autopilot?

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
There are people understandably upset that the first vehicles were not as mentioned in their press release from two years ago: " Three battery sizes are planned, with the 180 kWh and 135 kWh available at launch and a 105 kWh being made available within six months. "

https://media.rivian.com/rivian-lau...dventure-vehiclestm-with-debut-of-r1t-pickup/

or that their 180-degree tailgate is not what was demoed so often including at the 2018 LA Auto Show.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...nt-for-tailgate-with-two-methods-for-lowering

or that the glass roof is not going to be electrochromic as previously demoed.

I can't say if the lack of LIDAR will significantly affect future self-driving capability. I think it will, and that's a disappointment too.

These things should be orderable with the (coveted! - insert small smiley face) First Edition badging, even if they must necessarily get delivered later.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Geez, there are a lot of people here disappointed about the lack of the 400 mile range version out of the gate. I too would have bought it, but 300+ miles of range isn't bad. My original Model X only had 265 miles, but really 240 miles at best case. Did I want more, sure, but it was worakable.

I'll be buying the 300 mile range variant as soon as a I can. Want to replace my wife's QX80 :)
Sponsored