Sponsored

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
And someone above said it only comes in Launch Green. I hope they get this right!
That was me, and the nice lady I spoke to told me that was the only color option. Looks like they are not trained properly yet to answer questions. I made sure to clarify this and she looked it up and said that Launch green would be the only option for the launch edition and that other colors will follow.
Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Or maybe they are dumbing down LiDAR and just calling it RaDAR, since the technologies aren't that drastically different.
Err, one uses light and the other radio waves. Lidar can paint a more precise image at shorter ranges because of the frequency difference. Radar can penetrate rain better, is cheaper, and more reliable.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Lol I missed that too. Can I trade hp for more range
They previously said that each motor was 197hp, but max total hp was 754; I expect the hp might have improved, but doubt the max output equals the sum of individual maximums.

Not sure anyone has pointed it out... By process of elimination the 21" Road option wheel be standard.

Rivian states if you choose Launch Edition you will get a free wheel upgrade to 20" AT or 22" Sport.

So if you don't go with LE, you are gonna be paying extra for those 20" AT's.
Not necessarily, there was talk about premium wheel options in the past. There could be multiple wheel options in each size.

So per my last comment, the standard panoramic roof is NOT the electrochromic one. It’s just the fixed glass roof.

I gently pressed J.R on whether the electrochromic roof would even be an option anymore, and he said that they hadn’t announced anything about that yet, and that all available options would be viewable in the configurator
Support told me that the pano roof is not electrochromic, but does automatically change transparency based on amount of sunlight.

x2 on the all options in the configurator.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Err, one uses light and the other radio waves. Lidar can paint a more precise image at shorter ranges because of the frequency difference. Radar can penetrate rain better, is cheaper, and more reliable.
I am well aware of the differences between the two technologies. I was simply pointing out that to a lay person, the only real difference is Light vs Radio...

Sponsored

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
I don’t know why, but the omission of lidar kind of bugs me. I know Driver+ is included and not a $10K option like FSD with Tesla, which is great! However, after having advertised/talked about the lidar sensors for so long it just feels disingenuous for them to disappear quietly.
I'm in agreement with this. I spoke in detail about this with Brian Gase about LiDAR in detail and he said that it will be instrumental in their semi autonomous until proven otherwise as we spoke about how Elon just doesn't want LiDAR on a car. Just seems that many things have changed, and I think this isn't what they were telling us. I was told unlike Tesla they will under promise and overdeliver. I don't think that I can take this truck off-road in the Nevada plains with the 300 mile battery and not have range anxiety. This is underwhelming at best. This is a great truck for road travel, but nothing is more important than range when off-road. And even though the cybertruck isn't all that appealing in looks to me, for the same price as the launch edition you get 500 mile range. That is 200 miles more.

I think this is a big mistake that Rivian made in terms of removing equipment as well as only giving the mid size battery on launch. I put $1k down during the auto show so I am pretty close to the front of the line, but if I want the 180 pack I won't see it until 2022? Not good Rivian.... Not good.

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
No mention of the power tailgate anywhere on the site either? Would have expected that to be included in the launch edition.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I've had a busy day so late to the party tonight.... of course I want a 180kWh launch edition R1S... and that won't exist... In fact the 180kWh R1S seems to be not even announced now.... Going to continue to read but I'm leaning towards the disappointed side of the room...

KenJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone know if the R1S will be available with a spare tire? I thought I heard the 2 row might have a space under the rear floor. I’d actually rather have a spare than the 3rd row but the LE is only available with 3rd row?

Sponsored

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
Leaning towards cancelling my order. My hope was for a 180 kw R1s. I need a new SUV & was willing to wait though early 2022 but realistically the best case is probably a full 2 years out and that is with no hiccups in Rivian's production schedule. I think I will buy something else and revisit in 5 years when the game has changed . Still excited to see you guys on the road but I think I am sitting out a generation.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm in agreement with this. I spoke in detail about this with Brian Gase about LiDAR in detail and he said that it will be instrumental in their semi autonomous until proven otherwise as we spoke about how Elon just doesn't want LiDAR on a car. Just seems that many things have changed, and I think this isn't what they were telling us. I was told unlike Tesla they will under promise and overdeliver. I don't think that I can take this truck off-road in the Nevada plains with the 300 mile battery and not have range anxiety. This is underwhelming at best. This is a great truck for road travel, but nothing is more important than range when off-road. And even though the cybertruck isn't all that appealing in looks to me, for the same price as the launch edition you get 500 mile range. That is 200 miles more.

I think this is a big mistake that Rivian made in terms of removing equipment as well as only giving the mid size battery on launch. I put $1k down during the auto show so I am pretty close to the front of the line, but if I want the 180 pack I won't see it until 2022? Not good Rivian.... Not good.
From J.R.:

Glad you asked! Through the course of development, we determined that Lidar was no longer necessary to deliver our targeted capabilities. With 10 external cameras, 12 ultrasonic sensors, 5 radars and a high precision GPS (with HD maps), we are able to deliver hands-free driver assistance

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No mention of the power tailgate anywhere on the site either? Would have expected that to be included in the launch edition.
Can confirm the 180 tailgate was cut....

Glad you asked! To deliver the R1T and R1S as quickly as possible, we’ve simplified our vehicle offerings. the 180 degree tailgate introduced substantial cost and complexity that we didn't feel created enough customer value. BUT Tank Turn will indeed still be there!