Sponsored

MadMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Tesla Model 3
Yes, it's definitely been improved since that prototype. I saw the same R1S at Fully Charged Live in Feb & talked to them about it there.
That's awesome to hear!
Sponsored

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
It may well be three degrees but the seat itself stands above the back floor when folded (at whatever degrees) -- watch the video at 5:25 minute mark. As I said, I'm less concerned about this for my purchase... but my eyes tell me that what some see as flat they will not see as flat after seeing this section of video. Of course, perhaps Rivian has changed it for production....
I agree. The hump that the third row makes looks kinda mickey mouse. Hopefully they will have addressed this by next year.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Yes, maybe Rivian has changed R1S seat folding for production AND NOT TOLD US ABOUT IT!

I'm not impressed with how many trim and design features are presented. Color renderings are not detailed enough to know what colors look like; color renderings are inside pics only; no ability to mix and match wheel rims, wood trims and interior colors; no full size spares for the R1S; no flat floor for the R1S; no 400+ battery.

Rivian did a bang-up job on the engineering side of the operation, but not such a bang-up job otherwise - with interior design, option choices, and the ability to customize vehicles to what customers want.

Yes, it's a start-up but it's been working on these vehicles for ten years. Engineering specs alone do not sell cars. Supposedly the trucks have been "production ready" for two years, but it's been a year since I saw the R1T and R1S at the Mill Valley/SF event, and key design features, like R1S flat floors, larger battery packs, spare tires, and roof rack options have still not been addressed? Even if the configurator was rushed to implementation ahead of schedule, there's a lot left to be desired in how things are being done. Disappointed.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Yes, maybe Rivian has changed R1S seat folding for production AND NOT TOLD US ABOUT IT!

I'm not impressed with how many trim and design features are presented. Color renderings are not detailed enough to know what colors look like; color renderings are inside pics only; no ability to mix and match wheel rims, wood trims and interior colors; no full size spares for the R1S; no flat floor for the R1S; no 400+ battery.

Rivian did a bang-up job on the engineering side of the operation, but not such a bang-up job otherwise - with interior design, option choices, and the ability to customize vehicles to what customers want.

Yes, it's a start-up but it's been working on these vehicles for ten years. Engineering specs alone do not sell cars. Supposedly the trucks have been "production ready" for two years, but it's been a year since I saw the R1T and R1S at the Mill Valley/SF event, and key design features, like R1S flat floors, larger battery packs, spare tires, and roof rack options have still not been addressed? Even if the configurator was rushed to implementation ahead of schedule, there's a lot left to be desired in how things are being done. Disappointed.
Yes, they should absolutely have ignored everything they learned from testing a validation builds and gone with what they had on paper. Why would you want to incorporate what you learned in real world usage and production runs? I just can't understand what they were thinking.!
These vehicles were ready 2 years ago and they should have been cranking them out. Instead they took our money and delayed just to toy with us!
Limiting choices on the first run units is completely unacceptable. They should have gone down the reservation list from first to last and hand built whatever combination that reservation holder wanted. Custom wraps, wheels, stereo upgrades and mix and match interior options should all have been available. And why limit it to a specific battery size/range? What if I wanted 373 miles and not the 300 or 400 mile versions? They could absolutely adjust the battery pack to achieve that!
I just don't understand a company that looks at all the factors it takes to manufacture a vehicle, incorporates what they learned from testing, adjusts their products based on customer feedback and puts limits on what they will produce initially. The nerve!

/sarcasm

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
The features drawing complaints & disappointments, like does the floor fold flat on the R1S, does the R1T come with a full size spare, or what do the roof racks look like, are not features that were affected with Long Way Up, Rebelle Rally or other testing and validation.

A better set of color renderings and photos, including inside and outside representations, is a simple ask. Being able to get 20" wheel rims from the R1T on the R1S is not asking for a lot.

Trim and feature customization are not trivial matters when it comes to market acceptance. Note my previous comments were not directed towards engineering, testing and validation. The point is simple enough: engineering specs & performance are not enough for auto companies to succeed.

Sponsored

gregasarus

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Jeep JL
In all sincerity, please reply to this thread when you find a 400+mi BEV truck that is available before Jan 2022.

I'd consider others available sooner.

But my money's on the Cybertruck being delayed, and I wouldn't want the Hummer even if it were in the same price class.

In other words, my money's still on the R1T
I was under the impression they wouldn't offer the 400 mile option for pre-orders until January 2022. I did reserve the 400+ mile R1T and will anxiously wait the delivery. On the plus side it might be good to wait a little for the kinks to be worked out. I'm sure Rivian will get most things right but nobody or company is perfect.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I was under the impression they wouldn't offer the 400 mile option for pre-orders until January 2022. I did reserve the 400+ mile R1T and will anxiously wait the delivery. On the plus side it might be good to wait a little for the kinks to be worked out. I'm sure Rivian will get most things right but nobody or company is perfect.
I configured my 400+ R1T Monday when the configurator went live. I think many of us did.

Deliveries of those 400+ R1Ts start Jan 2022, depending on where you were in the preorder queue of course.

That's what I'm saying - I don't think there will be any other electric truck with a 400+mi range available before Jan 2022, but would be happy to learn about one.

As for the kinks... Yes, I'm thankful for all of the super excited people who committed to a LE as those LE vehicles will help them work kinks out of our long range trucks ;)

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Anybody else occasionally scroll through the website looking for changes?

They removed one of the pictures of the R1T bed. On the R1T site, under Utility, 02 / 04, they used to have a different photo when you clicked "Learn More" - one faced the front, and the other faced the back. I think that's where I got both of these in this post: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/slide-in-camper-cab-to-rear-axel-question.839/#post-14771

They removed the rear facing photo. Makes me wonder what other subtle changes are on there...

Sponsored

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Anybody else occasionally scroll through the website looking for changes?

They removed one of the pictures of the R1T bed. On the R1T site, under Utility, 02 / 04, they used to have a different photo when you clicked "Learn More" - one faced the front, and the other faced the back. I think that's where I got both of these in this post: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/slide-in-camper-cab-to-rear-axel-question.839/#post-14771

They removed the rear facing photo. Makes me wonder what other subtle changes are on there...
i've been checking back now and then too!

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

So been monitoring the website for obvious reasons. Havent seen an update (even to their stories) since the launch of the website. I believe they are due for a major overhaul and I hope its coming very soon!

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

So who else, besides me, does the "WHAT's NEW" click habitually and for a brief moment thought this thread (based on title) offered some nourishment to appetite for more Rivian news... fooled again! :headbang:

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

So who else, besides me, does the "WHAT's NEW" click habitually and for a brief moment thought this thread (based on title) offered some nourishment to appetite for more Rivian news... fooled again! :headbang:
Apologies for the false hope ?