First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 model x
Occupation
snowboarder
I have a both a Dometic CFX3-35 and CFX3-52IM.

The 55 model ice maker is an energy hog costing about 50% efficiency MY 2022 Model X has a tiny rear trunk - almost the same size as the R1S so the fridge bulges uo making it less good for camp mode the the 2017 Model X

In my old 5 seater Tesla model X my CFX3-35 fit neatly under the sunken rear trunk with lid on and a 55 1.5liter Fiji water bottles fit underneath it and around it.

SO in the new one I bought a slim fridge, it was a fail. You really can't put the fridges in the trunk because they will overheat and burn out. I like having the fridge inside for sot drinks and slides and sandwiches on the go. Plus its a great place to put groceries , partuclary if a charger is on the way home and you want to stop to charge and not have your ice-cream melt.

I bought a Joytutus 12 volt 23 quart fridge . really ridiculously small...and it couldn't hit the temps I set it to because it doesn't do well with less ventilation. Too bad because it did fit.

I can't figure out where to put on in the R1s and still have camp mode bed unless I removed a seat.

For a off road car, they would have been smarter putting in a fridge and letting people buy a cheap compressor.
Sponsored

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
Will your Dominic 35 fit when you flip up the rear seat? I was hoping to put mine on the platform I create, over that cubbie.

I seldom have more than one passenger so losing the seat isn’t a problem. Clearly a problem if hauling a family and no one will ride in the trunk. :rolleyes:

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
Will your Dominic 35 fit when you flip up the rear seat? I was hoping to put mine on the platform I create, over that cubbie.

I seldom have more than one passenger so losing the seat isn’t a problem. Clearly a problem if hauling a family and no one will ride in the trunk. :rolleyes:
Well, the Dometic CFX-3 35 fits perfectly above the rear seat (driver side) storage cubbie when the seat is flipped up.

I made a 1/2” Plywood platform and covered it with heavy-duty felt. Looks good enough and works well. I’ll post some pics if anyone cares. But my truck is getting a salon treatment this weekend and I’ll have it home Monday night.

Last edited:

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Well, the Dometic CFX-3 35 fits perfectly above the rear seat (driver side) storage cubbie when the seat is flipped up.

I made a 1/2” Plywood platform and covered it with heavy-duty felt. Looks good enough and works well. I’ll post some pics if anyone cares. But my truck is getting a salon treatment this weekend and I’ll have it home Monday night.
For me, that's reserved doggo space, but I recall your plywood insert. I tried the same thing but the rear seats fold forward like an SUV instead of like a pickup, so the driver's seat is limited.
I ended up buying a small icego which is fine for now. could even put two in the frunk, but for now, just a great way to keep freezer items frozen. also doesn't seem to impact overnight battery losses much at all. probably will take a hit during summer.

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
It seems to work well for me. No dog and
perhaps a more upright driving position.

I’ve been using the Dometic, paired with a Jackery 1200, in my 4Runner for 2 years and it works great.

My test run with the R1T included placing the Jackery in the gear tunnel and running from it’s battery - not the 12v system of the truck. There are many options and it’s great we have identified a couple that may Also work for others.

Sponsored

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport

I did the same for my ARB 63qt fridge. It just barely fits in the bed under the tonneau but I wanted to have a platform in the cab for weather reasons.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian is going to have to make a fridge Fridge platform 1 sm

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian is going to have to make a fridge Fridge platform 2 sm

View from passenger side.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian is going to have to make a fridge Fridge platform 3 sm

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
That looks great. You were more ambitious than me but similar results. I like with yours built up, maybe I could fit the Jackery under the platform. But then I'd need to move the stuff under there now. I just need to live with it and decide what I like or want to change.

A pic from mine...
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian is going to have to make a fridge CFX3 - elevation

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I like your clean install.

The ARB is pretty big. I needed the extra room lifting it provided. I also wanted access to the storage. It was easier than the install for my Ram though. I use a slider with it. I could have skipped the slider, but I already had it from my Jeep. Makes it a bit easier to load it into the truck though.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian is going to have to make a fridge fridge 2 sm

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian is going to have to make a fridge fridge 1 sm

joshtish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Information Technology.
It's "Prime Day" and the Iceco JP30 32 quart fridge I've been eyeing dropped $100 today, so I pulled the trigger. I didn't buy it to fit in the R1T as it's really for the boat and will be transported inside the boat not the R1T. But, in any case... going by the specs of the ARB 37QT (16.85" height) fridge that just barely fits under the tonneau it looks like the Iceco JP30 will fit easily under the tonneau at 15" high.
Does the JP30 fit into the Gear Tunnel?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Does the JP30 fit into the Gear Tunnel?
I totally forgot to try that.. lol. I really planned on tossing it in the bed or inside the boat from right out of the house.

I'll go out tomorrow morning and try it and report back.

Sponsored

joshtish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Information Technology.
I totally forgot to try that.. lol. I really planned on tossing it in the bed or inside the boat from right out of the house.

I'll go out tomorrow morning and try it and report back.
Much appreciated!

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Much appreciated!
Sorry... totally slammed @ work today.. 9:26PM and I just got off from 8:45am.

Should have time to go out there and try it tomorrow.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
ICECO GO20 fits in the gear tunnel and the frunk, easily.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian is going to have to make a fridge 1675829780767

JP30 … width looks like it's going to be very tight.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian is going to have to make a fridge 1675829842273

The height under the latch is about 17 inches, but the opening is a squished rhombus, so it's an IQ test to rotate the shape to fit into the puzzle board.
You could cut a piece of cardboard to these cross section dimentions (15x13.8") and see if it fits.

I really wonder what the Rivian engineering folks were thinking when they settled on this contorted shape. In the Munro teardown, looking at that area of the frame, seems like the tunnel could have been a square bulkhead under the rear glass, removable tonneau stacker, pass through bed, no reason to run a single body panel from the tail to the windshield, etc.
It's all riding on a frame. Anyway …

The largest cube I fit into the gear tunnel is the Bluetti AC200P (16.5 x 11 x 15.2 in)
So I think the 13.8" width of the JP30 is the limiting dimension because of the irregular width of the tunnel opening.
Also, the 60lb Bluetti is quite heavy to maneuver into the gear tunnel. It's easy enough to sit it on the tunnel door and then cant it over and muscle in through the door opening. I imagine a full freezer-fridge is heavier.
I put the ICECO JP42 on the back seat and I prefer to put it in empty, then load it. It's too tall to fit under the tonneau. Again, if the engineers had thought about bed height, they'd have raised teh bed sides two inches, shrunk the full size spare down, not given it an elaborate hatch cover, and not shaped the deep slats into the bed, etc.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I like my iceco 20 hasn't let me down yet. holds enough for the trips I do. If i need more I throw the cooler in the bed with the drinks and leave the fridge freezer for the important food.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I like my iceco 20 hasn't let me down yet. holds enough for the trips I do. If i need more I throw the cooler in the bed with the drinks and leave the fridge freezer for the important food.
Same. The cooler (now an ICECO 42) is the "fridge" and the iceco 20 is the "freezer" ... total luxury and a convenient way to carry the groceries, keeping things frozen not semi-a-little-bit thawed and keeping the fruits and veges chill and not in a 70 degree cabin (priority being a comfy place for doggo to relax while we're grocery shopping … : ) not to forget the luxury of having healthy perishables for a road trip instead of "well, let's try this supermarket and see if we can waste an hour trying to find some not completely terrible produce."
Also, the ICECO20 seems to very well insulated, doesn't generate a lot of heat (in the frunk … and I have the 12V outlet) and doesn't seem to impact mi/kWh at all and is not noticeable in overnight parasitic losses.
Sponsored