DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

So, you talked to them MONTHS before taking delivery. I assume you initiated the call doing due deligence on their product. Or did they call you?
While I was in Normal in July for that early gathering and driving experience, I asked about the insurance program. My Guide gave me their number and arranged for the contact to happen. You're right about it including due dilgence, but I also wanted to get to know them and hear their stories. I'll default every time to working with people that I can relate to, and like. Life's too short to deal with robots and automatons, even if they are human. Still, I view the world as 7,000,000,000+ people I have yet to meet. Now, there is one less on that list.

The day after getting home, I called and asked tons of questions of Shylo. From my perspective and insurance background, she nailed it. It didnt hurt that she was friendly and courteous. This was a day or two before @skyote, @jimcgov3, and @Shultzy6 interviewed me for their RivianStories channel. I think I shared with them how impressed I was with Shylo and Nationwide.

Given the specific criteria and options Rivian required when soliciting insurance companies for partnerships, I think everyone owes it to themself to give Nationwide a shot to explain the differences and also provide a quote. The worst that can happen is that you're forced to endure a nice conversation.
Sponsored

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
While I was in Normal in July for that early gathering and driving experience, I asked about the insurance program. My Guide gave me their number and arranged for the contact to happen. You're right about it including due dilgence, but I also wanted to get to know them and hear their stories. I'll default every time to working with people that I can relate to, and like. Life's too short to deal with robots and automatons, even if they are human. Still, I view the world as 7,000,000,000+ people I have yet to meet. Now, there is one less on that list.

The day after getting home, I called and asked tons of questions of Shylo. From my perspective and insurance background, she nailed it. It didnt hurt that she was friendly and courteous. This was a day or two before @skyote, @jimcgov3, and @Shultzy6 interviewed me for their RivianStories channel. I think I shared with them how impressed I was with Shylo and Nationwide.

Given the specific criteria and options Rivian required when soliciting insurance companies for partnerships, I think everyone owes it to themself to give Nationwide a shot to explain the differences and also provide a quote. The worst that can happen is that you're forced to endure a nice conversation.
Gotchya. That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation - very helpful.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Can Rivian insurance only cover the truck or can they underwrite my other vehicles as well?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Can Rivian insurance only cover the truck or can they underwrite my other vehicles as well?
Rivian Insurance Services, LLC is an agency. They're not underwriting anything. They're selling Nationwide policies. Nationwide can underwrite other vehicles and other types of policies.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Here's something - Jay, the rep I spoke to, told me there are only 4 of them, and only 75 guides. I don't think I'd ever seen those numbers confirmed before.

Sponsored

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Pro
One of the other advantages is that Rivian insurance will repair/replace with OEM parts... always. The other providers will likely have to replace with OEM until aftermarket becomes available. So maybe the first year, there would be no difference. Also, you have until the end of 2022 (or the year your car was made) to switch over to Rivian insurance and keep the OEM replacement policy. So I'm gonna roll with a slightly cheaper insurance (bundled thru SF) until the end of this year and then make the switch over to Rivian.

Last edited:

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I worked with Tara at Rivian Ins/Nationwide. Very easy to deal with, answered all my questions, and was able to provide comparable coverage and slightly lower costs than USAA. Because Nationwide will use OEM parts and confirmed that if vehicle is totaled that you get to jump the order line, I’ve moved two auto policies, homeowners, and umbrella to them.

OP
OP
Gshenderson

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Wasn't even an option for me. They wouldn't write me a home policy because of wild fire danger. Which was a new one for me since I'm in the heart of the city. Only blocks from city center and miles from anything I'd call wilderness. My guess is Nationwide is blanket denying policies in SoCal
I had similar issues. Was hoping to bundle and save, but Nationwide underwriting came back and denied my homeowners after I got the initial quote from them. In all fairness, I shopped my coverage around to several of the usual suspects (Progressive, Geico, Liberty Mutual, and probably one or two others I’m not recalling), and all declined to write my homeowners due to “high wildfire danger”. So my plan is auto only thru Rivian and keep my homeowners with current provider.

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
I had similar issues. Was hoping to bundle and save, but Nationwide underwriting came back and denied my homeowners after I got the initial quote from them. In all fairness, I shopped my coverage around to several of the usual suspects (Progressive, Geico, Liberty Mutual, and probably one or two others I’m not recalling), and all declined to write my homeowners due to “high wildfire danger”. So my plan is auto only thru Rivian and keep my homeowners with current provider.

My home is with Mercury and they added the Rivian no problem once I got them a VIN. I found the standalone Rivian policy was very high where switching from my Tundra to my R1T only added around $25/mo on my existing Mercury policy. That included adding the New Car replacement coverage that I didn't previously have on my Tundra. But over all the R1T is still pretty expensive to insure.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

What if the claim is filed against the other party's insurance (and they don't have a Rivian or Rivian insurance)? Is Rivian insurance going to get involved to help someone "jump the line" to get a replacement?
Yes

Sponsored

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

One of the other advantages is that Rivian insurance will repair/replace with OEM parts... always. The other providers will likely have to replace with OEM until aftermarket becomes available. So maybe the first year, there would be no different. Also, you have until the end of 2022 (or the year your car was made) to switch over to Rivian insurance and keep the OEM replacement policy. So I'm gonna roll with a slightly cheaper insurance (bundled thru SF) until the end of this year and then make the switch over to Rivian.
Where did you hear or see that you can switch before end of 2022 and still get Rivian insurance to keep the OEM policy in place? I had just renewed my State Farm policies and figured it would be longer before my Rivian was coming, and low and behold, the 8-step opened up and now I've renewed all the StateFarm and found that just the Truck with Rivian is $275 per Month! This is due to non-bundled pricing and having a 22 year old still on the policy. Through StateFarm with the other bundles it's only $68.00 per month. I don't mind switching at the end of the year after the 6 month renewal ends, but hate to redo everything when i already paid for next 6 months.

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Pro
State Farm will refund any pre-paid insurance if you switch at any time. So paying in advance won't hurt you. As far as OEM policy, that was from Kim at Rivian Insurance. If it's a 2022 model and you receive it in January you have until Dec 31 2022. My understanding is that it is based on the model year. And you have until the end of that calendar year to make the change. Did you try bundling through Rivian?

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

State Farm will refund any pre-paid insurance if you switch at any time. So paying in advance won't hurt you. As far as OEM policy, that was from Kim at Rivian Insurance. If it's a 2022 model and you receive it in January you have until Dec 31 2022. My understanding is that it is based on the model year. And you have until the end of that calendar year to make the change. Did you try bundling through Rivian?
I did not try bundling through Rivian. I had Kim too, and she said it would make a big difference and that they would/should be competitive with the State Farm policies. Guess i need to decide on whether to make a total switch or stick it out for a few months and then make change at end of the year. Did you make the switch upfront or are you going to do it at end of year? State Farm agent says there is no "off road" specific policy coverage rider and that if something happened while off roading it would be covered under the collision. Here is his quote

" There is no coverage specified for “off roading” If you were off roading and you collided with a rock, log, earth mound, etc and damage occurred to the truck, you would pay your collision deductible and State Farm would repair the truck. In that scenario, depending on the damage paid out you could receive Safe Driver Incentive policy points (3 SDIP points is the most you could receive from a single accident) that charge for a 3 year period."

I have no clue with the SDIP points means. Is that a penalty so then for the next 3 years I'm paying more? I'd just cancel at that time if it was the case. Without bundling, and without the 22 year old being the lead driver on a standalone Rivian policy, the Rivian insurance was still like $150/month. Bundling she thought would bring it down in range of the $68/mo from State Farm.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover

As an introvert, you terrify me... :)