Sponsored

Rivian Included Bike Mount & 21 vs 22 tires

aliasyvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40
Hi everyone,

Looking to lock in my build before Oct 16th. I’m pre-price increase but not a launch edition pre-order.

Any reviews/feedback on the bike mounted roof rack that is included with Rivian? Curious if I should get the 4 now or wait.

I’m also really stuck on if I should get 21s or 22s. Transparently I’ll be using it as a daily commuter and road trip vehicle - won’t be off roading. I’ve read here that 21s are more expensive to replace over time? I feel that I don’t have a lot of context. Most comparisons I see are 20 vs 22.

Would love some input so that I can lockdown my vehicle and just wait s00n!
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Hi everyone,

Looking to lock in my build before Oct 16th. I’m pre-price increase but not a launch edition pre-order.

Any reviews/feedback on the bike mounted roof rack that is included with Rivian? Curious if I should get the 4 now or wait.

I’m also really stuck on if I should get 21s or 22s. Transparently I’ll be using it as a daily commuter and road trip vehicle - won’t be off roading. I’ve read here that 21s are more expensive to replace over time? I feel that I don’t have a lot of context. Most comparisons I see are 20 vs 22.

Don’t bother with the bike mount Rivian is selling. There are better options. DO get the cargo crossbars at the original pricing.

The 21” tires have the best range. Potentially harder to replace if you’re not doing it through rivian as it’s a proprietary size, however Kal tire/any other big chain or any tire shop with access to Pirelli can get the Rivian specific tires. It just might take a day or two, same as any weird size tire.

The 22” is a summer-biased “performance“ all season tire. it’s grippier than the 21”, and is a lower profile tire, being the same overall diameter on a larger wheel.
It is in a size that is used on other trucks and SUVs, so there are options other than the Rivian specific Pirelli tires. You could choose a less sporting all season tire at replacement time.

they’re very similar in price.

If I were you I’d get 21”, unless you want slightly sportier handling and aren’t concerned by the small reduction in range.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
21s are more efficient, but there is currently 1 tire on the market made to fit. While I’m not personally concerned about a couple hundred extra $$ every 3 years, I am a bit of a tire snob and having only one option - even if it’s a good one - is frustrating.

More options on the 22s for sure.

More options still on the 20s. Stock tires on the 20s are least efficient.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
I wanted 21 but if you go outside the city limits, you could be in a hotel waiting for a new tire to come in. 22” have more options, including Michelin M/S which are good tires as well. 20” are overkill and this thing will likely never see environments that require air down and edge of traction limits. Look at Monroe off-road test. He beasted over some challenging obstacles with 21” tires.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
. 20” are overkill and this thing will likely never see environments that require air down and edge of traction limits. tires.
you haven’t seen what counts as an “improved road“ in much of western Canada then 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Jac

Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
you haven’t seen what counts as an “improved road“ in much of western Canada then 😂
Hahaha, no! The worst we have here is highway 880 in Oakland, SF Bay Area, CA. If you want to touch dirt, you need to drive 3+ hours and even then, pretty limited to smooth forest roads.

OP
OP

aliasyvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40
Super helpful! Thanks everyone. Will get the cross bars but no to the bike mount then.

leaning towards the 22 now but will give a bit more thought

OP
OP

aliasyvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40
Update: I've decided to go with the 22s. Rationale: Not that much of a range drop, styling, and easier to replace 22s, plus I'm locked in at pre-hike pricing which helps! :)

idea man

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E250 Bluetec, Sprinter, Passat, F-250, R1250 GSA
Occupation
Project Manager
So, why get the crossbars? Are those the most utilitarian accessory to get at the pre-hike pricing? (Sorry for the hijack)

OP
OP

aliasyvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40
I think so plus personally I'd prefer the OEM cross bars and whatever add ons I will do after (i.e. bike mounts). I'm starting to think maybe I should change my mind to switch back to 21s if I decide on having mainly one set of rims/tires year round. I want to make my final decision before Oct 16th.

Sponsored

Rivi

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S DEFENDER
Don’t bother with the bike mount Rivian is selling. There are better options. DO get the cargo crossbars at the original pricing.

The 21” tires have the best range. Potentially harder to replace if you’re not doing it through rivian as it’s a proprietary size, however Kal tire/any other big chain or any tire shop with access to Pirelli can get the Rivian specific tires. It just might take a day or two, same as any weird size tire.

The 22” is a summer-biased “performance“ all season tire. it’s grippier than the 21”, and is a lower profile tire, being the same overall diameter on a larger wheel.
It is in a size that is used on other trucks and SUVs, so there are options other than the Rivian specific Pirelli tires. You could choose a less sporting all season tire at replacement time.

they’re very similar in price.

If I were you I’d get 21”, unless you want slightly sportier handling and aren’t concerned by the small reduction in range.
Hello.Which is the better bike rack option?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Hi everyone,

I'm still stuck on "bike mounted roof rack that is included with Rivian? ". Mine didn't include anything like a bike mounted roof rack. All I got was four spots to mount bars that seem to collect leafs and crap.
Sponsored