Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Those are literally all small cars including the model X in my opinion just wait till the F150 and the Hummer EV hit the board. this is a lifted off-road vehicle compare it to the Tacoma 4 door or the jeep gladiator. oh except they don't have 835hp.

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Sold) 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Web Development
Those are literally all small cars including the model X in my opinion just wait till the F150 and the Hummer EV hit the board. this is a lifted off-road vehicle compare it to the Tacoma 4 door or the jeep gladiator. oh except they don't have 835hp.
Exactly, I don’t see the Hummer or the F-150 Lightning on here, the Hummer will certainly be at the very bottom.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
They may be "guzzlers" compared to existing EVs, but they're huge improvements over existing trucks. If you consider the magnitude of improvement over the vehicles they replace, Rivian is doing the more important work, imo.

Spiffster

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 (Sold), Ford Fusion Energi
Wife has a 2019 etron that replaced a ICE Kia Sorento. We still save a ton of $ in gas. I sold my M3 LR AWD just recently to make room for my Rivian R1S so Im going from one end of this chart to the other. No concern when comparing gas costs really. Plus im gonna have way more fun in the R1S.

Sponsored

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Adding to the chorus, honestly, I'd be most worried if I was Porsche, Audi, Jaguar, VW, and/or Ford. The fact that your 2-4 door sedans and sports cars have nearly the same consumption rate as a Rivian PICKUP TRUCK speaks volumes about how bad their designs are.

I also fully expect that once you see the F150, Hummer, etc.. popping up, they will be vastly worse off than the Rivian.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

It looks like we'll be driving electron guzzlers. It's interesting to me they rated the R1S worse than the R1T.

https://insideevs.com/news/534083/most-efficient-bev-us-20210918/

1632238940923.png
*INSIDEEVs left out the fact that there was a 46-way tie for first place in tailpipe emissions @ 0.00 grams/lbs/tons of CO²/mile. A Rivian charged from renewables is better for Mother Earth than anything charged with or propelled by fossil fuels.

Take THAT, Prius owners! ?

From South Park: season 10, episode 2 - "Smug Alert!"

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Also, need to insert standard caveat about EPA numbers being not consistent from brand to brand. Some brands far exceed them, others fall short. My VW ID.4 is on that list at 347 WH/mile. In reality over my first 700 miles with the car I am at ~285 instead of 347.

Until we have real world tests of the Rivian, this chart isn't super helpful.

Richbot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Really only matters for recharge time over long distance anyway. Duh a high-profile 7000lb vehicle is gonna use a lot of juice

Our X LR+ is "rated" (in terms of the consumption you need to hit to get 371 miles of range) at 270 wh/mi and meets or beats that in mixed driving, in good weather. Lifetime over 13000 miles including last winter and a bunch of 80+mph road trips is 305.

And that doesn't factor in all the pre-heating, pre-cooling, charge losses, etc. that will be different for each vehicle too

So yeah, useful if you're doing route planning I suppose, but otherwise, eh. R1T's the biggest EV currently sold of course it's the least efficient on a per mile basis. It's probably not the least efficient on a tonnage hauled per mile basis...

Last edited:

Sponsored

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I’ve never bought an ICE vehicle based on MPG efficiency and I won’t be buying an EV based on MPGe either. So, as is currently accepted I would say “I could care less” that Rivian is rated last in EV efficiency - but I could, and do, care less.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
Our R1S purchase will replace our Expedition, which averaged 16.5 mpg for our 1500 mile trip to St.Louis. we will definitely be saving money on our charging costs over the fuel costs of the expedition. I'm looking forward to the "inefficient" Rivian sitting in my driveway.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
so we went from a 12-15 mpg 2016 Expedition EL to a 2019 Model X.

I had all the numbers, but we basically went from 15 MPG to 88MPGe at 1/10th the cost (watt hour per mile)

Every R1T/R1S replacing any truck/suburban is order of magnitude improving, we're not replacing model 3s (well maybe not everyone sure someone is)

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

There's definitely a trade-off with efficiency, functionality, and performance. I like how RJ Scaringe put it best:
The wrong answer is to tell people who want SUVs and trucks that they have to drive really small electric cars. The right answer is to say 'drive the vehicle that you want...oh by the way, this now has a path to carbon zero'

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Adding to the chorus, honestly, I'd be most worried if I was Porsche, Audi, Jaguar, VW, and/or Ford. The fact that your 2-4 door sedans and sports cars have nearly the same consumption rate as a Rivian PICKUP TRUCK speaks volumes about how bad their designs are.

I also fully expect that once you see the F150, Hummer, etc.. popping up, they will be vastly worse off than the Rivian.
100%. Looking at the Taycan Turbo S and comparing it to the Tesla Model S Plaid and the Lucid Air Dream Edition Performance is a head-scratcher. I know Porsche purposely took a very conservative evaluation and many owners see really significantly better results but I still think it shows that the big automakers are struggling, at least for now, against the EV-specific builders.
Sponsored