First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Well it wouldn't be a backup generator, it would be a backup battery supply that would last a day or 3 (which I'm guessing is what you meant). But I'm really looking forward to more info about that and hope it something they end up committing to!
I guess that depends on your average consumption.

I average around 13KW a day so I could go easily 7 or 8 days on a fully charged R1 without even looking at any change in behavior to limit use.

If you add in the solar recharging during the daytime which normally exceeds my daily average usage, I could probably power my house indefinitely with an R1.
Sponsored

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
I was looking at it from a mechanical perspective and it's been 15 years since my electrical engineering classes, so I'll take your word for it. I was using the definition of a "generator" as being a device that turns mechanical energy into electricity, which in this case it's already starting out as stored electrons in the truck battery.
But it's really just semantics and doesn't matter anyways so I step down, apologies.
No worries.
It's kind of like alternator/generator getting used interchangeably at times.
The combination of the Rivian battery and the invertor inside the DC fast charger is more correctly a whole home battery backup system. Functionally replacing the role of a backup generator, but ultimately the naming is a debate in semantics.

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
Driving my 2010 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD until I get my R1S, then the Honda becomes my daughter's first car.

So, everything will be better. Everything.

But...
1. I am currently getting about 18 mpg. Nuff said.
2. I have never purchased a new car. Never planned to either. But since I need an additional vehicle now, and, well, the environment/global warming...
3. Did I mention I get 18mpg now?
4. My Honda has regular old school cruise control. Really looking forward to some lane keep assistance and speed control. Will likely increase my tripping by vehicle as opposed to all the flying I do now (again, global warming) as extended distances will be a little less stressful.
5. My Honda doesn't have Bluetooth. I have to plug my phone in, or use a plug-in Bluetooth adapter. Yeah....
6. Looking forward to loading groceries in the frunk. May seem simple, but I park in my garage front first, with entry straight ahead; currently groceries are side door or in the back. Now picture straight from frunk into the house. Easy peasy. Come to think of it, I could even back in without filling my garage with exhaust with the R1S. Win.
7. My girlfriend calls my future R1S my "other girlfriend". So, gearing up for my first threesome.
8. Have I mentioned I pay a out my ass for gas??

I think that about covers it. Otherwise there is overlap between my Honda and the R1S in terms of hauling my canoe, interior space, etc.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
6. Looking forward to loading groceries in the frunk. May seem simple, but I park in my garage front first, with entry straight ahead; currently groceries are side door or in the back. Now picture straight from frunk into the house. Easy peasy. Come to think of it, I could even back in without filling my garage with exhaust with the R1S. Win.
Even better, you can just pull through parking spots and not have to back out of the grocery store spaces. I guess you can do that now, but I always get some A-hole parking 1/2" from my rear bumper, blocking access to my trunk.

7. My girlfriend calls my future R1S my "other girlfriend". So, gearing up for my first threesome.
But, but... there's no tailpipe. How's that gonna work? :CWL:

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

It will improve my 0-60 times a bit! ...over my Corvette! Sit down, shut up, and hang on. Going to be a blast! I admit I am an acceleration junky.

Sponsored

kdcold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2011 Toyota 4Runner, 2013 Infiniti JX35
Occupation
Banking IT Software Services
Upgrading from a lifted 2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5:
1) 15mpg --> overnight charging at home, and for less $
2) WAY more torque for boat/camper/utility trailer towing, and better stopping power I presume.
3) Rear bumper beepers & hitch cam I added custom --> stock 360º cameras/sensors & more
4) 14"+ clearance stock...on par with my T4R and its 4" lift with 34s!
5) Ability to lower on-demand for the family climbing in/out (wife's #1 complaint about my T4R)
6) No more auto-downshifting on the highway every time there's a slight hill or gust of wind!
7) Tiny "moon roof" --> Panoramic glass roof front & back
8) HOT black interior --> Ocean Coast cool white inside
9) Ventilated seats!
10) MAJOR interior style upgrade throughout for me
11)
Everything should always be cranked up to here.
- Meridian system will surely surpass even my customized 4Runner tunes.
12) Whiplash factor - seeing people do double-takes & stop to look is fun for me.
13) Lucky me! Basic Cruise --> Adaptive Cruise Control and all the other smart driving goodies.
14) Regen braking! I only WISH my 4R would put gas back in its tank when I slow down.

This thread is a fun read, I get excited with Rivian anticipation nearly every time I drive these days.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
Short answer: You’re not alone. Subaru owners repeat it with me — no more oil leaks! If anyone needs me after my R1T is delivered I’ll be hosing off the oil slick on the floor of our garage/driveway. I’m told brake cleaner is good at degreasing concrete. Anybody got any other tips?
Not perfect by any means, but for me it was gasoline and a good pressure washer to get most of the oil leak from my 66 scout off my driveway. Good luck!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
My Tesla left us stranded in a hot parking lot in August, and I got the "get rid of it or I will" vibe from my wife. If we lived closer to a Service Center, and the whole experience wasn't a complete clusterffffudge, I would have pushed back. But she was right.
You'll be leaping out of the frying pan into the fire. Peabody is closer than New York. (I assume they wouldn't take it over the border to QC.

In any case Tesla has over 400 SC and Rivian has 4. It's going to be years before Rivian is even close to on par and as you know 450 isn't nearly enough. Nor should any of us have any expectation that Rivians will be more reliable - at least none of us that have ever been involved with complex software systems and that includes anyone who has owned a home computer.

You have to be prepared for this sort of thing. It won't happen to everyone but it will happen to some. If you aren't prepared to sit in a hot parking lot in western Main (or a cold one in northern Vermont) and be told they are taking your car/truck hundreds of miles away for repairs then don't get one of these cars/trucks. Wait for something from one of the OEMs with an established service network.

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
You'll be leaping out of the frying pan into the fire. Peabody is closer than New York. (I assume they wouldn't take it over the border to QC.

In any case Tesla has over 400 SC and Rivian has 4. It's going to be years before Rivian is even close to on par and as you know 450 isn't nearly enough. Nor should any of us have any expectation that Rivians will be more reliable - at least none of us that have ever been involved with complex software systems and that includes anyone who has owned a home computer.

You have to be prepared for this sort of thing. It won't happen to everyone but it will happen to some. If you aren't prepared to sit in a hot parking lot in western Main (or a cold one in northern Vermont) and be told they are taking your car/truck hundreds of miles away for repairs then don't get one of these cars/trucks. Wait for something from one of the OEMs with an established service network.

except I bought it when I lived in MA, and had moved to ME.

and also, while the media is praising Tesla for beating the chip shortage, they're not talking about how Tesla cut corners using SD Cards to do it.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I average around 13KW a day so I could go easily 7 or 8 days on a fully charged R1 without even looking at any change in behavior to limit use.
How do you do that? The average American home uses 30 kWh/da (and I average 98).

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
except I bought it when I lived in MA, and had moved to ME.
So you took it to Maine and I see from your squib sold it thus removing yourself from the frying pan. Wise move. But now you are jumping into the fire?

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
So you took it to Maine and I see from your squib sold it thus removing yourself from the frying pan. Wise move. But now you are jumping into the fire?

I'm far enough down the list where they MIGHT actually have it sorted out by then. Also, the Off-Road Recovery gives me hope. If they're willing to go out onto a trail for assistance, MAYBE they can make it to a paved parking lot in under 5 hours.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
How do you do that? The average American home uses 30 kWh/da (and I average 98).
So...you're a retired at-home crypto-miner? :CWL: Seriously, how much of that consumption is your vehicle?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Seriously, how much of that consumption is your vehicle?
8.4 kWh and another 7.9 kWh/da goes to a walk-in cooler. The lion's share of the rest goes for heating and cooling (mostly W/W but some A/A heat pumps).