Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I can't wait to get my R1T so I can stop spending $80 every week at the gas pump. Waste of time and money!
If it makes you feel any better, that won’t even fill up the gas tank in our 2006 Land Rover LR3. It loves slurping down premium unleaded so we spend more than $80 each weekend.
Sponsored

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
If it makes you feel any better, that won’t even fill up the gas tank in our 2006 Land Rover LR3. It loves slurping down premium unleaded so we spend more than $80 each weekend.
My brother in law has the V8 Hemi in his Ram, and has done... stuff... to it.

Requires Premium now, gets like... 6MPG (towing, it get's like 2GPM).

...sits in his drive way while he drives his motorcycle around.

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

My brother in law has the V8 Hemi in his Ram, and has done... stuff... to it.

Requires Premium now, gets like... 6MPG (towing, it get's like 2GPM).

...sits in his drive way while he drives his motorcycle around.
Ours has a stock 4.4L V8 which needed premium from the factory… but it has 226,000+ miles on it so possibly less fuel efficient than when new. Under ideal highway conditions it can get 18-20 MPG. That doesn’t seem too bad for a nearly 6,000 pound four wheel drive vehicle with the aerodynamics of a small barn. Having said all that, it is comfortable, capable, and my favorite vehicle we’ve owned out of more than our fair share of interesting vehicles.

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
I don’t think I’m alone in thinking more and more frequently, “I can’t wait until I get my Rivian so I <don’t have to deal with some issue any more / gain some feature>!”

Since all of the recent reviews and videos were released, this has been popping into my mind a lot more. As just one example, yesterday one of the tires on our LR3 looked low so I decided to check pressures, only two discover that the tire was VERY low and another one was a little low.

My first thought was, “I can’t wait until I get my Rivian so TPMS will alert me to low pressure sooner!”

After I got our air tool compressor setup, I thought, “I can’t wait until I get my Rivian so I can just set the desired pressure on the built-in compressor, connect the hose kit, and move from wheel to wheel!”

Other recent examples:
I can’t wait to get my Rivian so I don’t have to get frequent oil changes!
I can’t wait to get my Rivian so I have ventilated seats!
I can’t wait to get my Rivian so people inside and outside the vehicle can speak in normal tones when discussing maneuvers and not have to shout over the ICE noise!

Just days from now I’m sure I’ll move on to:
I can’t wait to get my Rivian so I have a heated steering wheel!

Does anyone else tend to do this and has it ratcheted up in frequency?
Short answer: You’re not alone. Subaru owners repeat it with me — no more oil leaks! If anyone needs me after my R1T is delivered I’ll be hosing off the oil slick on the floor of our garage/driveway. I’m told brake cleaner is good at degreasing concrete. Anybody got any other tips?

Sponsored

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Short answer: You’re not alone. Subaru owners repeat it with me — no more oil leaks! If anyone needs me after my R1T is delivered I’ll be hosing off the oil slick on the floor of our garage/driveway. I’m told brake cleaner is good at degreasing concrete. Anybody got any other tips?
Our LR3 doesn’t leak, but the Discovery 2 we had before it reminds me of an old joke…

Q: What do you call a Land Rover which doesn’t leak on your driveway?
A: Empty.

:CWL:

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
1. Fulfilling a life plan goal - Drive all EV - one short range, one long range.
2. Rejoice in knowing no more Catalytic Converters to be stolen. (Prius is in the shop right now awaiting parts for the next three weeks. Perps jacked it while it was parked at the Airport for 8 Days. Beefiest sounding Prius ever though - the K&N Filter finally paid off.)
3. Take time off and get our feet wet on Regional and then National back roads. Maybe the TAT?!? ?
5. PNW Beach Driving
6. Hopefully Stream Disney+ Dolby ATMOS via WiFi at rest stop somewhere.
7. Tell Alexa (Changing its name to Echo ASAP) to do my bidding while driving.
8. Do some relatively basic off-roading on the Property until we get more comfortable with her. Find out if the hill up off the County road is 45 Degrees or less so we don't have to drive all the way around the back way. ?
9. Nine, for the realm of men who above all else desire power....oh wait wrong list.
10. ? oh...drive around and beat nearly every other vehicle in a drag race.
11. Everything should always be cranked up to here. Especially when the doors are closed on the R1T. ?
12. To be continued...

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I can't wait to get my Rivian, so my wife and I will stop fighting over who gets to drive the Tesla.

I do fear that will just turn into a fight over who gets to drive the Rivian :CWL:

carl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, VW Atlas, Volvo V60 Polestar
Clubs

I can't wait to get my R1S so I can beat 99.5% of all other cars before the onramp merges to one lane on the way up to the mountains in a fully loaded car.

I can't wait to get my R1T so I can tackle Moab and the like with my Tacoma driving buddies.

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

R U kidding? You’re not alone!

Coming from a 2007 Prius (original owner) to R1S:

1. 3 rows (family of 5).
2. Any acceleration at all. I’ve never cared about 0-60 times and I drive conservatively, but I’m looking forward to the occasional thrill, and ability to pass/merge with confidence.
3. Heated steering wheel. Chicago. Period.
4. Heated seats. See #3.
5. Vented seats. Chicago. August.
6. Audio system. Even the Explore would probably destroy my Prius’ sound, but I have the Adventure on order.
7. AWD. Chicago and jaunts to northern Michigan.
8. Towing option.
9. Bluetooth audio. I‘m in the Apple ecosystem for services.
10. Driver+. I have no experience with any lane keeping, or intelligent following, etc.
11. Skipping the gas station (although the Prius is very efficient)
12. Glass roof, seeing more of nature.
13. Higher end in general. The Prius is solid and Toyota makes great vehicles, but I have no power seats at all, no sun/moon roof, etc. I do have the touring edition which has leather which is nice.

Basically the Prius was my “growing family, delayed gratification, city, efficient” car. The R1S is my “self gratification, efficient, fun, utility, yay” car.

Last edited:

Sponsored

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
Driving a Hyundai Palisade Limited so not much difference in terms of comfort, and utility. But I'll love:
  1. Driving an EV! I have been waiting for 5-6 years. I put a reservation for model 3 on day 1, waited 3 years, and then my requirements changed when they invited me to order.
  2. Faast! I'd surely love that 3 seconds 0-60. My kids in the back seat will probably scream for it :D
  3. Better cornering. Feel lot of body roll when I turn. Hoping that Rivian with it's magic of independent motors and maybe the air-suspension will make the experience better.
  4. Will be more excited to see a beaten path to hiking trailhead; a chance to show off to my wife.
  5. No need to time when to go to Costco to fill up gas and shopping at the same time. Every morning it'll have enough range to go wherever I want to go.
  6. Fun to meet other Rivian owners at RAN.
  7. Talk like a child when strangers will ask about my car (had some experience with my Palisade as well as I bought it pretty early... No one asks me anymore)

I'll miss:
  1. HUD. I love it particularly with the blind spot Monitor.
  2. Lane centering driving assist. So far the best I've driven besides Tesla. Not sure Rivian would be on per initially.

Last edited:

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
I can't wait to have my Rivian so I can no longer be limited in the adventures and things I can do with my vehicle.

My Tesla Model 3 is a great vehicle, but it's just not the best fit for my lifestyle anymore. I'm past the point of wanting sports sedans in my life. I love the handling and performance and technology, but I want a vehicle that can take me on any type of terrain, carry passengers with more interior room, and haul bikes and skis and other things for my hobbies more easily.

I used to drive an ICE truck and couldn't wait to ditch it because I hated the poor performance, handling, and fuel economy. EV trucks completely flip the traditional truck tradeoffs on their head because they have great performance and handling, are electric, and full of technology.

At the time I got my Model 3 in 2019, an EV truck didn't exist yet and I knew the Rivian and others were several years away. Hence why I leased my Model 3 with the intention being that I'd get into a bigger vehicle in 2022. Now just waiting for my Rivian :)

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

I can't wait to...
  • Not wait in line at the Costco gas station every Sunday
  • Easily throw our surfboards, mountain bikes, etc. in the back or on a rack and head out for a few hours of fun with my family
  • Go camping over a 2-day weekend without spending 5 days planning and packing

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I sold my car earlier this year in anticipation of getting the Rivian by end of year.

So....everything will be an upgrade vs my beach cruiser.
Sounds like a Cortez burning his ships kinda move...