First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan rouge , Subaru Legacy
Occupation
pA
Question for those of you who have the Rivian home charger that are in the colder climates say such as the upper Midwest or northeast . how has the cable been in the deep cold of the winter is it flexible or overly stiff? Saw a video with Tom moloughney speaking about the charge point charger cable and it was the best for the cold weather and stayed supple , annd had scored the best in his testing . interested to hear your thoughts .
Sponsored

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
The Rivian home charger cable is bulky and not particularly flexible in warm weather. Personally, I would go with the Tesla J1772 EVSE - thinner cable, inexpensive, well made.

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

Question for those of you who have the Rivian home charger that are in the colder climates say such as the upper Midwest or northeast . how has the cable been in the deep cold of the winter is it flexible or overly stiff? Saw a video with Tom moloughney speaking about the charge point charger cable and it was the best for the cold weather and stayed supple , annd had scored the best in his testing . interested to hear your thoughts .
Maybe not super cold. But This winter we had temps down to 20ish. It was fine. It’s bulky but wasn’t any harder to use because it was cold.

OP
OP

Shnork

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
pA
thanks for the input

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I didn't have any trouble with it in 0 degree weather. The main issue i had was i didn't have the cable looped high enough and it was frozen in ice and snow.

Like are you worried it would be frozen in the loop on the holder?

Sponsored

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

More of my issue was plugging outside during freezing rain. I got clever and cut one side of a bag and shut it into the front trunk
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian home charger wire -- flexible or stiff in deep winter low temperatures 92483334-E1B0-4E21-9A00-4DAE55A96141

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
More of my issue was plugging outside during freezing rain. I got clever and cut one side of a bag and shut it into the front trunk
92483334-E1B0-4E21-9A00-4DAE55A96141.jpeg
Brilliant

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas
I was wondering about this myself. My wife and I are about to receive an R1S and not sure whether to go with the Rivian charger or not. We already have a Lightning but I have been limping along on A/C charging for too long!. I was planning to have the Rivian (or other) charger outside our garage and the Lightning charger inside the garage. But I have seen many of Tom Moloughney's reviews of chargers and many of them have cables that are terribly stiff if they are outside in winter.

I have been waiting for Tom Moloughney to review both the Ford charger and the Rivian charger. He has (or had) both Rivian and a Lightning and he has reviewed neither charger!

OP
OP

Shnork

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
pA
We had the same concern , we had seen a review by Tom of his top 5 picks and based on the flexibility of the charge point home flex in the winter we went with the home flex.
he stated it was the best for flexibility and was the Best that he ever tested. He felt it was as flexible cold as in normal temps as our charger would be outside and we are in mass in the mountains that sealed the deal.
Sponsored