Sponsored

Lil'Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE
Occupation
Product Support
Rivian holiday party. This time we were able to do a self guided tour of the factory floor. It was a ton of walking but got to see lots of cool stuff. It's really cool they do this for employees.

Updated with more details:

We were there pretty late (6ish) so the reindeer had knocked off one of it's antlers.

Agreed that there is a ton of vans in the plant and staging lot. It's hard to tell how many R1's are there as the ones ready for rail service are all out back. Not many in the car hauler lot.

The L3 chargers/cabinets are made in Bloomington-Normal but at a different site across town. The guy standing with them acknowledged the slow ramp and the ones online are helping them gain data on how they will be used, etc. I think he said the cabinet sitting there was SN 60 and was finished about 5 days ago.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) A498096B-D5DF-4299-B45F-87E3EF37BFE0
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 9EB78061-E1DC-421D-80BF-B4622C7FCFC7
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) tempImageflmdIK
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) A78A5731-F087-4AF4-8F13-D2214B81A3B0
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 4F92DD30-5B7D-46B7-B61A-835AD7526871

More photos posted by @AdamsFan1983

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 1-

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 2-

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 3-

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 4-

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 5-

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 6-

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 7-

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 8-

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 9-

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 10-
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
So they are manufacturing the chargers there too? I just assumed that would have been contracted out.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Pretty cool! Haven’t seen that wall mounted DCFC before.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So they are manufacturing the chargers there too? I just assumed that would have been contracted out.
They suggested that was part of the reason the RAN rollout has been slow so far. I imagine they use a lot of the same components for the overhead chargers and the customer getting those (Amazon) is probably contracted to get a certain amount of them. The good part about it being once they get production levels up, RAN should hit some strides.

I do wonder if Rivian would sell those overhead chargers without being in their fleet program though.

Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Some additional photos of interest I could scrounge up.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 1

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 2

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 3

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 4

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 5

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 6

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 7

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 8

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 9

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Holiday Family Day - Our self guided tour of the factory floor (Photos) 10

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
We were there too. Judging from the sheer volume of parts in the various areas they should have no problem hitting their goal for 2022. I was hoping to see my R1S coming off a line but will still have to wait a month or two.

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
That Limestone R1S is mine. Stop playing games and let me have it......

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I was hoping that they would have a build-your-own option for reservation holders but I walked away disappointed. There were lots of completed vehicles and probably hundreds of Amazon vans, but the vans are transported to their destination 2 at a time so there's a huge backlog.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lil'Dave

Lil'Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE
Occupation
Product Support
We were there pretty late (6ish) so the reindeer had knocked off one of it's antlers.

Agreed that there is a ton of vans in the plant and staging lot. It's hard to tell how many R1's are there as the ones ready for rail service are all out back. Not many in the car hauler lot.

The L3 chargers/cabinets are made in Bloomington-Normal but at a different site across town. The guy standing with them acknowledged the slow ramp and the ones online are helping them gain data on how they will be used, etc. I think he said the cabinet sitting there was SN 60 and was finished about 5 days ago.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
My main takeaway after wandering the plant for a couple of hours was how impressive this undertaking really was. Going from no cars to round-the-clock manufacturing in about 18 months. They should hit the 25,000 vehicle target by year-end. I know people are pissed at the delays but seeing what they've accomplished in the past 18 months impresses the hell out of me.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Should I be calling PETA about this?:CWL:
Sponsored