carl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, VW Atlas, Volvo V60 Polestar
Clubs

Sweet! This should mean I'll be able to get a lot more than 175 shares for my $10k I had set aside for some Rivian shares in two weeks instead of next week.
Sponsored

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, El Cap/black, power tonneau, 21"
Occupation
IT
Clubs

And from Rivian's history, they don't seem to have a marketing and sales department, so I was surprised to hear they had an exec of one
Really? All that social media presence, all those Rivian stories, and "adventurous" photos shoots. It sure seems like they have a huge marketing department.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
So she’s mad she was left out of non-marketing meetings? Like potus press sec not being invited to a joint chiefs meeting and getting mad. Meh

Capt_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
As icky as the main thrust of her complaints are, I find the comments concerning underpricing, reliability, safety and misleading delivery schedule to be particularly worrisome.

Combining this info with the lack of communications, slipping delivery dates, fire, etc has me definitively out of the DSP and seriously considering cancelling my order completely.

This is verging on too many red flags for an 80K purchase.

At least I know Ford will be around in 10 years…

wizard467

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (10/2022), Honda Ridgeline
As icky as the main thrust of her complaints are, I find the comments concerning underpricing, reliability, safety and misleading delivery schedule to be particularly worrisome.

Combining this info with the lack of communications, slipping delivery dates, fire, etc has me definitively out of the DSP and seriously considering cancelling my order completely.
A disgruntled employee (whether she is right to be angry or not) is probably not the best person to get information on the overall health of the company.

If you haven’t already it’s probably worth reading the S1 (particularly the latest amendment) to get a better idea of where Rivian is at in their ramp-up and overall plans.

Sponsored

Capt_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
A disgruntled employee (whether she is right to be angry or not) is probably not the best person to get information on the overall health of the company.

If you haven’t already it’s probably worth reading the S1 (particularly the latest amendment) to get a better idea of where Rivian is at in their ramp-up and overall plans.
I agree, and any one of the recent developments wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me.

It’s the combination of lack of communication, the revelation that they expect to nickel and dime us with subscriptions, the endless delays, the fact that Lucid is confident making some of its earliest deliveries to real customers but Rivian is not, the unexplained fire on the production line, the disgruntled employee’s concerns about reliability and safety, the fact that deliveries apparently require a nearby service center (I’m rather rural, and acknowledge that this is a problem specific to me).

Best case scenario, all of the above turn out to be non factors and I get an awesome truck.

Worst case, I spend 80K on a vehicle that does not live up to the standards of modern autos, is difficult to repair and requires constant interfacing with a company that has terrible comms.

No way to predict the future, but as much as I want this truck, I’m not sure I want it so badly that’ll I’ll risk so many mortgage payments on it.

TDWRT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A bunch of German cars
Occupation
Finance
I agree, and any one of the recent developments wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me.

It’s the combination of lack of communication, the revelation that they expect to nickel and dime us with subscriptions, the endless delays, the fact that Lucid is confident making some of its earliest deliveries to real customers but Rivian is not, the unexplained fire on the production line, the disgruntled employee’s concerns about reliability and safety, the fact that deliveries apparently require a nearby service center (I’m rather rural, and acknowledge that this is a problem specific to me).

Best case scenario, all of the above turn out to be non factors and I get an awesome truck.

Worst case, I spend 80K on a vehicle that does not live up to the standards of modern autos, is difficult to repair and requires constant interfacing with a company that has terrible comms.

No way to predict the future, but as much as I want this truck, I’m not sure I want it so badly that’ll I’ll risk so many mortgage payments on it.

Wow... so much negativity in most of your posts and yet you've only been here a whole month. Just don't buy the truck or the stock and move on. There are other options on both fronts.

Last edited:

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Wow... so much negativity in most of your posts and yet you've only been here a whole month. Just don't buy the truck or the stock and move on. There are other options on both fronts.
I think he has valid concerns which he expressed calmly and I don’t see what his time “time on the board” changes. I joined in March 2019, do I get to say things others can’t?

I don’t get this be “happy” or move on thing. Again, why not just use the ignore function if you think a member is too X or too Y and doesn’t contribute anything you find constructive or interesting?

Capt_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I think he has valid concerns which he expressed calmly and I don’t see what his time “time on the board” changes. I joined in March 2019, do I get to say things others can’t?

I don’t get this be “happy” or move on thing. Again, why not just use the ignore function if you think a member is too X or too Y and doesn’t contribute anything you find constructive or interesting?
Thanks.

Not trying to be negative here. I want Rivian to succeed, I want all EV’s to succeed. On paper the R1T is perfect for my uses.

I’m nervous about spending this kind of money on an unproven product, as any person who isn’t exceedingly wealthy should be.

People seem to want to rationalize every bit of negative news about Rivian as no big deal. Given how much we don’t know at this point I think any rational investor or customer should be carefully reviewing every new disclosure.

We’ll find out what the market thinks soon enough. Hopefully Sandy Munro gets his hands on an R1T before I need to decide.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Not trying to be negative here. I want Rivian to succeed, I want all EV’s to succeed. On paper the R1T is perfect for my uses.

I’m nervous about spending this kind of money on an unproven product, as any person who isn’t exceedingly wealthy should be.

People seem to want to rationalize every bit of negative news about Rivian as no big deal. Given how much we don’t know at this point I think any rational investor or customer should be carefully reviewing every new disclosure.
I felt all of your points were completely valid and they echo much of my own inner monologue.

80k is a huge purchase for me while for others it is a drop in the bucket.
This means that I/we are more likely to truly weigh out the pros/cons and not brush anything off in the decision.

That may come across as negative to some but as much as I WANT them to succeed, I can't just hope for that without weighing out the decision in its entirety.
This form ends up being a place where we process this decision with the collective mind of the horde in the hope of rationalizing whatever direction we go.

Last week I was about to "check out" of this form and Rivian for awhile, but I will say that it's been probably 2 weeks since I viewed the "Real Rivian Photos & Videos" thread and that was refreshing to see some of the movement even if it is mainly to employees.
Trucks are out there in increasing numbers and they look sooooo good!
It doesn't wash away all the current challenges we are seeing, but it does provide a glimmer of hope that I needed to continue to see to remain mentally invested in RIVN.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not sure it's rationalizing every bit of negative news. I see it as trying to provide balance to the negative news. Rivian has issues, just like any startup. Some people see doom. gloom and failure around every corner. They probably should not invest, or even buy a Rivian. Others see challenge and opportunity for Rivian, and perhaps have worked/lived a similar challenge and see Rivian forging a path through it. Half empty or half full comes to mind.

Capt_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm not sure it's rationalizing every bit of negative news. I see it as trying to provide balance to the negative news. Rivian has issues, just like any startup. Some people see doom. gloom and failure around every corner. They probably should not invest, or even buy a Rivian. Others see challenge and opportunity for Rivian, and perhaps have worked/lived a similar challenge and see Rivian forging a path through it. Half empty or half full comes to mind.
Totally agree.

it’s important to have a broad range of viewpoints from the totally onboard to the skeptical (as long as they are supported by more than a gut reaction).

I don’t want to let my excitement and anticipation cause me to make a huge financial mistake. I typically waffle back and forth as new information comes out and at this point, I’m leaning negative.

I’ll wait and see what happens post IPO.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Anyone know what happened with this? Been no info in the news.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Anyone know what happened with this? Been no info in the news.
Things like this move very, very slowly unless there is an early settlement (which is often confidential). If they do not settle, it could be a couple of years before there is any final resolution.
Sponsored