Sponsored

Rivian Hires Nick Mulholland To Lead Expanding Comms Team

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Perhaps this means Rivian will actually start communicating something soon and the answers we've all been waiting for are finally right around the corner....

https://www.provokemedia.com/latest...-nick-mulholland-to-lead-expanding-comms-team

RVINE, CA — Preparing to launch its truck and SUV, electric vehicle startup Rivian has hired former Freuds MD Nick Mulholland to lead its growing communications function.

As a VP, Mulholland is charged with building out a global communications team for Rivian, which is backed by Amazon and Ford, in advance of its premiere vehicles hitting the market later this year. The company is also eyeing international expansion.

Mulholland brings experience from serving in previous leadership positions, which included spending more than a decade as managing director of Freuds in London. Most recently, he was CEO of global beauty startup Vernon François.

“Joining this team in a year of such seismic growth is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to help bring the Rivian mission to life. Our goal is to create desirable transportation and energy products with the consumer and planet in mind. We aim to create solutions that inspire other companies to fundamentally change the way we all operate. It’s an outstanding adventure for any communications professional,” Mulholland said.

Other Rivian comms leaders include Amy Mast, who has been promoted from PR director to director of corporate comms. She is responsible for work around Rivian’s corporate, sustainability, and technology, as well as the 100,000 electric delivery vans Amazon has ordered from the company.

Andy Bowman, an eight-year veteran of Apple’s comms function, has joined Rivian as director of consumer communications. He will lead communications around vehicles, retail and lifestyle, as well as motorsports and adventure projects. The company is in the process of recruiting more than 10 additional people to work in PR.

“We are looking for communications professionals who constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. Curious individuals who seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown,” Mulholland said. “As a group our backgrounds are diverse, but we share a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.”
Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I am not sure this is what we were hoping for. Corporate communications teams generally promote the company as a whole, whereas it is marketing teams that promote the products.

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
So we get a communication from Rivian that they’ve hired someone to oversee their communications? ? How about communicating info about your vehicles direct to your customers?

OP
OP
electruck

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I am not sure this is what we were hoping for. Corporate communications teams generally promote the company as a whole, whereas it is marketing teams that promote the products.
Sure and there was the late 2020 hire of Laura Schwab indicating that they do have a separate Sales and Marketing organization. However, this article also mentioned a Director of Consumer Communications to lead communications around vehicles, retail, etc so who knows.

Andy Bowman, an eight-year veteran of Apple’s comms function, has joined Rivian as director of consumer communications. He will lead communications around vehicles, retail and lifestyle, as well as motorsports and adventure projects. The company is in the process of recruiting more than 10 additional people to work in PR.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Well if deliverable communications are any indication I'd say the communications team takes VERY long lunch breaks.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
It would seem Rivian is OK with their "communication style" as it gets you promoted.

"Other Rivian comms leaders include Amy Mast, who has been promoted from PR director to director of corporate comms."​

Or unless that was Rivian's way of getting someone else in there to do a better job while finding a better fit in the company for Amy. :idea:

As for Nick Mulholland's arrival, I guess I would say something similar to when Rivian hired Tony Caravano, Rivian’s senior director of retail and customer experience last June.

Hello Mr Mulholland, welcome to Rivian. OK, enough small talk. When will Rivian start communicating substantive details of features on the R1T, R1S, service and aspects of the purchase including the process, financing, trade-ins, delivery, etc., since the R1T's launch is only 3 months away?

Too blunt?

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

As for Nick Mulholland's arrival, I guess I would say something similar to when Rivian hired Tony Caravano, Rivian’s senior director of retail and customer experience last June.

Hello Mr Mulholland, welcome to Rivian. OK, enough small talk. When will Rivian start communicating substantive details of features on the R1T, R1S, service and aspects of the purchase including the process, financing, trade-ins, delivery, etc., since the R1T's launch is only 3 months away?

Too blunt?
Too Blunt? No, I'd say that's just about right.

Last edited:

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
I’m only reviving this thread to point out I wish I also was hired and paid to do absolutely nothing.
I’m guessing Nick’s golf game has improved over the last two months though.

(had to vent a little frustration)

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

All joking aside I had no idea they had a PR team. My 12yo cousin can put out a decent video every other week.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Hires Nick Mulholland To Lead Expanding Comms Team 00d41ea8e5ce6f154647e32f92311201

Sponsored

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
Why do get a picture after the onboarding meeting of Nick being let to a plank over a tank of hungry sharks?

Welcome to Rivian - meet your community, they want to know a few things!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I just want to know if he's started working yet...