Sponsored

Rivian hires Magna Steyr executive as COO, report says

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
On paper this seems like a good hire. I would feel much more confident if the person mostly responsible for the 3/1 insanity got bounced very soon.

I feel like it’s Jiten behl’s fault.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I feel like it’s Jiten behl’s fault.
That is what my gut tells me too. RJ is ultimately responsible, but dumb ideas always start somewhere. Even if this was a group effort, I would send him packing just to make an example of him. He already embarrassed the company once before.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
They build 100% of the Mercedes G-wagon and also the BMW Z. I think they also do the new Toyota Supra.
The G-wagon! That's where I remember this name from! This was bugging me. Thanks.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

It will be interesting to know how much feeds through the COO - obviously manufacturing but if IT, facilities, product development, marketing do too.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

If this pans out, then Klein sounds like the right person for the job. Coming from a major OEM supplier bodes well for issues Rivian is suffering through.

Tomorrow, I guess we’ll find out if Wall Street agrees.

Reactions: Guy

Sponsored

OP
OP
electruck

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
If this pans out, then Klein sounds like the right person for the job. Coming from a major OEM supplier bodes well for issues Rivian is suffering through.

Tomorrow, I guess we’ll find out if Wall Street agrees.
Wall Street definitely agrees

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
That is what my gut tells me too. RJ is ultimately responsible, but dumb ideas always start somewhere. Even if this was a group effort, I would send him packing just to make an example of him. He already embarrassed the company once before.
It appears Jiten is a victim of his own "bro" hubris and arrogance. If he's learned anything from the past six months then I'm fine with him sticking around.

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

It appears Jiten is a victim of his own "bro" hubris and arrogance. If he's learned anything from the past six months then I'm fine with him sticking around.
Stick around and learn is for things like overpaying for pencils. The magnitude of the mistake he just made is just pure ineptitude. I agree he will learn from it but a C level start up role is not the place for that. You get paid to know. Just my opinion of course.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I would agree but IMHO what usually makes these guys act this way in the first place is their absolute refusal to learn lessons and play nice with others. They seem to think they are much smarter than the rest of us so they can behave any way they like and we should be in awe of their genius. Obviously I don’t know the man so this is hyperbole, but the more I read about him the less I like him….

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I would agree but IMHO what usually makes these guys act this way in the first place is their absolute refusal to learn lessons and play nice with others. They seem to think they are much smarter than the rest of us so they can behave any way they like and we should be in awe of their genius. Obviously I don’t know the man so this is hyperbole, but the more I read about him the less I like him….
Behaviour can change, people cannot.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Behaviour can change, people cannot.
So true. I know RJ is young and I’m not surprised he has at least one of these characters on his team (probably more). I hope he realizes at some point that no matter how many great ideas these guys claim to have dreamed up, it often comes at a great expense. Can it be worth it when you have to settle a lawsuit and then lose a $hit ton of money because of a bungled price increase? I say no.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Magna is huge, and have their manufacturing process figured out to manufacture for multiple brands on multiple levels, so this appointment is mint!

As for Jiten, i am not sure where they got him from, but he always seems like a douche. He could have held the position as part of the "People who helped start the company deserve VP and C-level roles just because" which explains the fuckery that went around. If he was hired at a later stage, well, he cost rivian a lot, and the need to throw him out.

I get this whole second chance thing, but some mistakes you just do not recover from and you can't keep the person who caused problem tasked with the solution at this point.