First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
I wonder if it can be retrofitted onto existing vehicles. Wishful thinking, I'm sure.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder if it can be retrofitted onto existing vehicles. Wishful thinking, I'm sure.
Extemely unlkely. There's a lot going on here with 5 heat exchangers and 3 expansion valves. All of the components in a system like this have to be "matched" properly to work, and are designed as a complete system. For example, it would be a small miracle if the existing heat exchanger in the battery pack met the requirements.

Rivian's business model is building new vehicles, not retrofitting old vehicles. Think of it this way - does GM or Ford offer a factory retrofit/upgrade for a new engine design for a two year old vehicle?

And remember that a patent is not an actual product. Just because this patent was released doesn't mean it's going be part of the R1 platform s00n...

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

If its anything like Tesla, Rivian will incorporate into all the vehicles as a part of the vehicle evolution and when convenient for them to do so. So at some point, it will be a part of R1T/S and probably R2s from the get go.

The thing about being an early adopter is that one misses out on some of the refinements but do get to have it sooner :)

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
With a heat pump setup and solid state batteries and most everything else staying the same I expect double the range out of a Rivian in the next 5-7 years. Will be interesting to see if they do "cosmetic" changes on the different model years. Just seems like a waste of time to me in general. I would rather Rivian spend time on functional updates instead of cosmetic ones. As for differentiating the model years its kinda like who cares...

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
If its anything like Tesla, Rivian will incorporate into all the vehicles as a part of the vehicle evolution and when convenient for them to do so. So at some point, it will be a part of R1T/S and probably R2s from the get go.

The thing about being an early adopter is that one misses out on some of the refinements but do get to have it sooner :)
Sometimes there's advantages too. I don't think I've seen any reports of issues with the good old resistive heating on the older Tesla's. Can't say the same about the newer ones with heat pumps.

My mechanical/spring suspension setup on my older model is also appreciated compared to the air springs on my newer one.

HTownB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
For the ignorant, what would this new heat pump be used for?

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA

HTownB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Like for your air conditioner or for mechanical components like the electric motor?

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Like for your air conditioner or for mechanical components like the electric motor?
Yup. Just check out wikipedia for heat pumps.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
1. Extract heat from the outside air in cold weather to warm the battery and cabin, when the vehicle is cold.
2. Extract heat from the battery and motors, use it to heat the cabin in cold weather when the vehicle is warm.
3. Extract heat from the battery, motors and cabin (air conditioning), release it to the outside air when cooling is needed.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Fun video that explains them:

Bonus: he makes the same corny joke at the start of the video that I just made
Sponsored