Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I've always seen people with AWD without chains in the mountains. Not sure I have seen a vehicle with AWD + chains.
I actually just looked it up to satisfy my own curiosity, and it does seem as though there are situations in which chains are required in Cali.

• Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
  • Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
    NOTE: (Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
  • Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I've always seen the statement "chains or AWD".
Technically, per the CHP, ā€œAll vehicles, including four-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicles must carry chains upon entering a chain control area.ā€ per https://dot.ca.gov/-/media/dot-media/documents/chainrequire-a11y.pdf

There was only one time I ever got asked by the CHP if I had chains with me in case they were needed when I was heading up to the Big Bear area. Iā€™m the kind of person who never gets away with anything so I donā€™t know what wouldā€™ve happened if I didnā€™t have them with me and tried to talk my way through or if I didnā€™t have them with me and lied. I was in a Land Rover with AT tires and plenty of tread so I hope they wouldā€™ve considered that good enough, but ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

edit: To be clear, I wasnā€™t asked to install the chains; just told I needed to have them with me in case they were needed later.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I lived in Southern California years ago and occasionally chains were *required* (and checked by the CHiPs) to transit Cajon Pass from LA to the high desert area.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Iā€™m sorry for getting us off-topic. I just wanted to let @eggpaul know about a potential consideration for wheel and tire choice. Whatever routes @eggpaul takes may not even be strict about enforcement.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

Oh that is an angle I didn't think about. Are you saying you would be able to buy 20 inch all season tires later on?
The last time I looked, which has been a few months ago, there were far more options available in the 20ā€ versus the 21ā€. So theoretically, you could buy all season, all terrain, whatever you desire, when the time came.

Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
I guess my question is whoā€™s more foolish; the people you describe, or you for being willing to hand $80,000 to people you believe to be clueless clowns for a complex piece of machinery sight unseen.

Iā€™ve made my determination, Iā€™ll leave others to do the same?

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Itā€™s simple my man, you either want the vehicle or you donā€™t.

Put another way, when you go to theme park to ride a rollercoaster, do you get in line and spend the queue time to lament the uneducated minimum wage clowns they have running the ride, while posting that the theme park is doing a lousy job of communicating to you personally how about how long your wait is along with the minutia of the coasters performance capabilities?

Like seriously, chill out. Eat a sandwich or something. Youā€™ll feel better.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
There are naturally a lot of factors to balance here (some place require chains, others are fairly permissive if you have AWD, others require proper snow tires, etc.).

I am going for the 20s because the ATs are M+S rated (snow tires) and thus can be used year round in places like Whistler, but are a standard enough size that chains shouldn't be a problem. Plus they look good. I do expect to lose about 10% range vs. the 21s, though.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Oh that is an angle I didn't think about. Are you saying you would be able to buy 20 inch all season tires later on?
You could do it day 1 if you so chose. You could also move to a 20" tire about the same size as the tire on the 21/22s (smaller by about an inch in diameter) & possibly get the same or better range, as smaller wheels tend to get better range when the tire is the same size.

Like seriously, chill out. Eat a sandwich or something. Youā€™ll feel better.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Guide Contacted Finally! (For Real) ? snickers

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Yes, Theme parks sold season passes for 2020, and then turned away guests due to covid.
Yes, those guests were given the option to hold their reservations into 2021 at no additional cost if they chose.
Yes, theme parks regularly provide inaccurate estimates on queue times.
Yes, theme parks allow certain guests priority access even if they came to the ride after you. (people with disabilities, for instance.)

You are absolutely correct that you are a consumer. You did not pay for a product. You paid a deposit, to enter into a legally binding agreement (that clearly spells out what you are owed). If you do not like it, exercise your option to collect a refund. That is your right as a customer. Customers get to have opinions on the products they pay for, and if they so chose, opt not to purchase them

Your problem is that you dislike like how the company is being managed. I got news for you. ...You're not a shareholder. Until you are, management owes you no explanation.

THAT IS HOW CAPITALISM WORKS.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Spoke to CS this morning. He said we will know EPA number soon, and at the same time said the 21 inch tires will get us 300+ miles while the other 2 will have reduced range. Wonder if they all know the numbers already. He also said my guide will reach out to me any day now, then said he honestly doesn't know if it will be in a week or so, but said 2018 preorder holders have been getting contacted and it surely can be any day for me. hmmmm.
I would say there's a 90% (educated guess only) chance they know the numbers. Automakers run the test themselves, and then submit to EPA. The NVFEL then will *sometimes* verify (and sometimes not). Though with all the gaming of the system in recent years they have steadily ramped up to testing greater proportions of vehicles.

Last edited:

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Copied from facebook (1hr ago):

Had my Guide call this morning.
Few key points
-the reason I got the Email was based on my configuration, (Midnight on Ocean with 22s) my order date, and location to service center.
- Austin is in the works, did not have address yet. But said they donā€™t schedule these guide calls without having a location under construction.
- I seem to be the first in Texas to get a call scheduled, and possibly delivered, did not have info on how many more to come.
- delivery booked for end of December.
- demo program to be released in few months, with service center completed, and multiple colors on hand. Will be prioritized based on launch holders, order date, and Guide contact. He said it will be very personalized, either they will bring one to me for the weekend or, invite my family to service center to pickup and drive.
- 22ā€™s are most efficient for range and acceleration.
Will be all season tires and definitely can take off road, no rock climbing
- he said the off road package is an extended bottom protection against harsh conditions, rock climbing Ect, he said I donā€™t need it for trails and little mud action, as long as I donā€™t plan on extreme rock climbing.
- I mentioned the EV event coming here in Austin in November at COTA. He said itā€™s right up Rivian alley, and most likely be there with both models.
- He also said heā€™s seen the midnight on ocean with 22 rolling around the plant, they are pumping out final production vehicles and shipping them to markets within a month, a lot more test vehicles will be out across the nation.
- heā€™s will also send me some swag soon, and more behind the scenes updates and pictures as well.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Copied from facebook (1hr ago):

Had my Guide call this morning.
Few key points
-the reason I got the Email was based on my configuration, (Midnight on Ocean with 22s) my order date, and location to service center.
- Austin is in the works, did not have address yet. But said they donā€™t schedule these guide calls without having a location under construction.
- I seem to be the first in Texas to get a call scheduled, and possibly delivered, did not have info on how many more to come.
- delivery booked for end of December.
- demo program to be released in few months, with service center completed, and multiple colors on hand. Will be prioritized based on launch holders, order date, and Guide contact. He said it will be very personalized, either they will bring one to me for the weekend or, invite my family to service center to pickup and drive.
- 22ā€™s are most efficient for range and acceleration.
Will be all season tires and definitely can take off road, no rock climbing
- he said the off road package is an extended bottom protection against harsh conditions, rock climbing Ect, he said I donā€™t need it for trails and little mud action, as long as I donā€™t plan on extreme rock climbing.
- I mentioned the EV event coming here in Austin in November at COTA. He said itā€™s right up Rivian alley, and most likely be there with both models.
- He also said heā€™s seen the midnight on ocean with 22 rolling around the plant, they are pumping out final production vehicles and shipping them to markets within a month, a lot more test vehicles will be out across the nation.
- heā€™s will also send me some swag soon, and more behind the scenes updates and pictures as well.
@peashooter is gonna have a field day with this one! ?
Sponsored