Sponsored

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
..... I'm wondering if there is some hesitation to allow factory pickups early on because the first couple of thousand miles could put an owner far away from available service support while on the road home. Given that delivery timing is partially based on a new owner's proximity to a Service Center, it makes me think they don't want the possibility of being potentially surprised with a remote breakdown......
I didn't think of that, but it makes perfect sense.

.......My late wife had one of the Eagle Talons made in that factory from it's prior iteration under Mitsubishi. I was taken by the initial story of that factory, the cool cars they produced, and its impact on Normal/Bloomington when it was originally built.
I can certainly understand your attachment to the factory at Normal.

I sure understand why they may not want to go forward with factory pickups in the early stages, but I look forward to the day that I'll be able to go and visit and see Rivian close up.

Again, kudos for your note. ???
Thanks Duck and I wish you luck in your future visit.
Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
In the highlighted area, it shows how the priority will be set. The first priority listed is date of payment of your Pre-order fee. Being I didn't know exactly what the following two meant at the time (manufacturing schedule/delivery and service operation's availability), I just dismissed them.
Many of us made that same mistake, and Rivian is not blameless. They chose to list 'preorder date' first in that sentence, and we implicitly took that to mean it was perhaps the most important factor. We could make the case for more clarity but assuming that this language is from 2018/19, they probably did not know how things were going to shake out back then either.

What they definitely could have done is elaborate on that priority when the configurator went live last year. Like hey, we know you're order #1xxx but service center availability and configuration will influence your priority date far more.

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
Hey SANZCO2 - from a legal perspective, you got that right.

From a PR/Customer service/Brand perspective, not so much.

I'm a 1/30/19 preorder holder from NH, ordered an LE edition, and have had zero useful information form multiple calls to Rivian CS. The three CS folks - including one manager - I spoke with said they have NO additional information to share, could not tell me what year, much less what month, my R1T might be delivered/picked up, and basically said we know as much as you do - which is nothing.

This is brand suicide.

Sure, we get the legal BS, but if that's Rivian's business plan, then Rivian is no better than any other corporate entity.

They built a ton of brand equity and are in the process of pissing it away with each day they refuse to say a) what they know, b) what they don't, c) when they think they will know something, or d) why they can't tell us when they are going to know something.

This is really basic business - be honest, upfront, and clear. With each passing day of platitudes, Rivian is losing credibility and brand equity. I'm feeling more and more like a mushroom - and not the fun kind.

PS. I just pre-ordered an F-150 Lightning. Gotta have a plan B, especially when Plan A is looking increasingly tenuous.
Well said. I have the same plan B as you.

Last edited:

Jmiller929

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES Mercedes SUV
Well said. I have the same plan B as you.
I do not think they are trying to be vague or offer poor service. But I think the simple answer is, they do not know and do not want to pass along bad information. They are a new company with 1,000s of preorders. This is their first rodeo and there are many factors they have to contend with and consider. I like everyone else would like to know, but understand the circumstances.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I do not think they are trying to be vague or offer poor service. But I think the simple answer is, they do not know and do not want to pass along bad information. They are a new company with 1,000s of preorders. This is their first rodeo and there are many factors they have to contend with and consider. I like everyone else would like to know, but understand the circumstances.
I agree. Rivian does not have a manufacturing organization let alone a manufacturing process. Not to mention the amount of logistics and work that needs to be done to bring their suppliers into compliance and control.

IMO Rivian will and should focus on delivering well engineered, quality high end trucks than meeting pre-order holders expectations for delivery. I don't think Rivian's goal is to be a truck for the masses like the Ford F150 Lightning.

Truth be told, pre-order holders main contribution will be, pre-production for building a manufacturing line/organization and to flesh out issues.

Rivian wins if the small number of vehicles they produce perform well but lose if they rush to meet pre=order holders delivery now expectations.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I didn't think of that, but it makes perfect sense.

I can certainly understand your attachment to the factory at Normal.

Thanks Duck and I wish you luck in your future visit.
cc84,

Thanks for your note and your kind words. I've been out of town and haven't been paying close attention to many of the recent comments and I missed your reply.

I'm happy we're receiving at least an uptick in info from the company and hope the info flow picks up even more as production gets going. Getting to see the vehicles in the course moving down the production line would be special, but if not at rollout, maybe shortly thereafter.

Thanks again and a Happy Father's Day to you and your family! I don't know if your Father is still alive or whether you have any kids, but I wish you all a great day and hope all the Fathers out there get treated right. Also, I don't know how best to say it to our Military Veterans, so I'll just say thank you for serving our country and helping to keep us safe, and our freedom secure!

By the way, I remember that you ordered your R1T a few hours ahead of me back on 2/19/2019. I know I hadn't even heard of Rivian until the Amazon investment story hit. An hour into reading a few news pieces around that story and my deposit was in.

Out of curiosity, What color are you going with?

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cc84,

Thanks for your note and your kind words. I've been out of town and haven't been paying close attention to many of the recent comments and I missed your reply.

I'm happy we're receiving at least an uptick in info from the company and hope the info flow picks up even more as production gets going. Getting to see the vehicles in the course moving down the production line would be special, but if not at rollout, maybe shortly thereafter.

Thanks again and a Happy Father's Day to you and your family! I don't know if your Father is still alive or whether you have any kids, but I wish you all a great day and hope all the Fathers out there get treated right. Also, I don't know how best to say it to our Military Veterans, so I'll just say thank you for serving our country and helping to keep us safe, and our freedom secure!

By the way, I remember that you ordered your R1T a few hours ahead of me back on 2/19/2019. I know I hadn't even heard of Rivian until the Amazon investment story hit. An hour into reading a few news pieces around that story and my deposit was in.

Out of curiosity, What color are you going with?
Thanks very much Duck and a Happy Father's Day to you and your family as well, and to all the Father's out there. Also, a Thank You for mentioning the Military. It was my pleasure to serve. I received way more than I gave, unlike those that never made it home. I have 3 kids. My parents died more than 30 years ago. Miss them every day.

My cousin told me about the Rivian when they debuted, but I too waited for the Amazon investment and then placed my deposit. You have a good memory, and we sure did order on the same date, but doesn't mean as much as what I originally thought. :CWL:

I chose LE Silver/Blk Mtn/20" All Terrain/Off Rd upgrade/large pack. Accessories are crossbars/charger/floor mats. I would consider Limestone, but I can't tell it's color from a picture. Same with Canyon Red, but only a certain shade (such as Cajun Red). I can't tell by the pictures either. Silver was/is a safe choice for me.

You have a great day too! :)

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Thanks very much Duck and a Happy Father's Day to you and your family as well, and to all the Father's out there. Also, a Thank You for mentioning the Military. It was my pleasure to serve. I received way more than I gave, unlike those that never made it home. I have 3 kids. My parents died more than 30 years ago. Miss them every day.

My cousin told me about the Rivian when they debuted, but I too waited for the Amazon investment and then placed my deposit. You have a good memory, and we sure did order on the same date, but doesn't mean as much as what I originally thought. :CWL:

I chose LE Silver/Blk Mtn/20" All Terrain/Off Rd upgrade/large pack. Accessories are crossbars/charger/floor mats. I would consider Limestone, but I can't tell it's color from a picture. Same with Canyon Red, but only a certain shade (such as Cajun Red). I can't tell by the pictures either. Silver was/is a safe choice for me.

You have a great day too! :)
Good to hear all of that, aside from the loss of your parents. Same boat here, except no kids. I'm guessing the Silver will help keep things cool in East Texas, (if I remember correctly). I've been to Tyler and the Sabine County area and remember it could get a little roasty and humid.

Also 20' ATs with offroad pkg for me, but still looking at Launch Green. Who am I kidding? No one has actually "looked" at Launch Green but, unless it's some kind of ugly, that's my plan. Regarding the order date, I hope this third Father's Day spent without a Rivian is our last one. We'd better have these babies well ahead of Jesus' Birthday this December!

Again, take care and relax today. Someone else can work the grill for you!

Be well!

Kialoa

First Name
Kialoa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, Cayenne
One of the oddities of the Rivian rollout over the next few months is the order of events:

July: weekly information updates
July: first deliveries (?)
August: Rivian Tour (10 locations?)
August: At-home Drives
August: more deliveries (?)
Sept: more deliveries (?)

If you are sitting on the fence between 2 or more colors, your only opportunity to compare colors is in August if you join a ‘Tour’ which has multiple vehicles (but will it have ALL colors?). Now let’s say you change your color choice. If you were given an ‘early’ delivery window, this will likely trigger a further significant delivery delay.

Although I selected El Cap, I also like Limestone in some renders. I wonder if Aug/Sep brings a further shuffling of delivery dates as selections are adjusted based on seeing the real thing?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
One of the oddities of the Rivian rollout over the next few months is the order of events:

July: weekly information updates
July: first deliveries (?)
August: Rivian Tour (10 locations?)
August: At-home Drives
August: more deliveries (?)
Sept: more deliveries (?)

If you are sitting on the fence between 2 or more colors, your only opportunity to compare colors is in August if you join a ‘Tour’ which has multiple vehicles (but will it have ALL colors?). Now let’s say you change your color choice. If you were given an ‘early’ delivery window, this will likely trigger a further significant delivery delay.

Although I selected El Cap, I also like Limestone in some renders. I wonder if Aug/Sep brings a further shuffling of delivery dates as selections are adjusted based on seeing the real thing?
I doubt the tours will have full trucks in each color. At most they will have 2-3 colors of trucks and color and material boards like you see at most car dealers.

Sponsored

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good to hear all of that, aside from the loss of your parents. Same boat here, except no kids. I'm guessing the Silver will help keep things cool in East Texas, (if I remember correctly). I've been to Tyler and the Sabine County area and remember it could get a little roasty and humid.

Also 20' ATs with offroad pkg for me, but still looking at Launch Green. Who am I kidding? No one has actually "looked" at Launch Green but, unless it's some kind of ugly, that's my plan. Regarding the order date, I hope this third Father's Day spent without a Rivian is our last one. We'd better have these babies well ahead of Jesus' Birthday this December!

Again, take care and relax today. Someone else can work the grill for you!

Be well!
Thanks Duck. You are absolutely correct. Good memory again. I am from a small town approximately 35 miles North of Tyler. I graduated from high school with actress Sissy Spacek, who happens to have the same birthday as Jesus, so maybe that's a good sign we'll get our Rivians "soon". And you're right, I don't want a 4th Father's Day without one. Good choice on your color selection. I considered it also, but I just went the safe route. I knew how Silver would look. ?

If I have the opportunity to see the different colors on a vehicle, I could possibly change my color selection, but regardless, I'll take whichever color gets me the vehicle "sooner". ?

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I was contacted by my guide for a call later today. Seattle area, launch green, mountain black, 11/30/2018 pre-order. Chatting this afternoon.

Launch Green you SAY?! In for DEETS!!

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
I was contacted by my guide for a call later today. Seattle area, launch green, mountain black, 11/30/2018 pre-order. Chatting this afternoon.
Please report back after your call - very interested to see what delivery date they will quote.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
HOORAY!!! FINALLY A LAUNCH GREEN. But, there's that black interior again. That interior has by far been the dominant color. They must have that in good supply. CONGRATS AdamH!!! Keep us posted...so happy for you! :like: :clap: :D
Sponsored