Sponsored

loudOrange

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250
I am truly sorry you guys feel slighted, not sure there is anything reasonable that can be done to make you feel better.

This is why we are in such a litigious society, seems like common sense has left the room. (this is not an insult to anyone on this forum, just my personal observation)

Before you hit checkout, there was a disclaimer that clearly stated

Options, specs, and pricing may change as we approach production

When you clicked on checkout, you were agreeing to these terms.

1623445148408.png
Hey SANZCO2 - from a legal perspective, you got that right.

From a PR/Customer service/Brand perspective, not so much.

I'm a 1/30/19 preorder holder from NH, ordered an LE edition, and have had zero useful information form multiple calls to Rivian CS. The three CS folks - including one manager - I spoke with said they have NO additional information to share, could not tell me what year, much less what month, my R1T might be delivered/picked up, and basically said we know as much as you do - which is nothing.

This is brand suicide.

Sure, we get the legal BS, but if that's Rivian's business plan, then Rivian is no better than any other corporate entity.

They built a ton of brand equity and are in the process of pissing it away with each day they refuse to say a) what they know, b) what they don't, c) when they think they will know something, or d) why they can't tell us when they are going to know something.

This is really basic business - be honest, upfront, and clear. With each passing day of platitudes, Rivian is losing credibility and brand equity. I'm feeling more and more like a mushroom - and not the fun kind.

PS. I just pre-ordered an F-150 Lightning. Gotta have a plan B, especially when Plan A is looking increasingly tenuous.
Sponsored

Last edited:

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
I understood what you posted but that same disclaimer was there before the checkout for the pre-order.

Not really worth more time for me to worry about.

Hope you end up with something you are happy with.
Thank you. Sorry if my comment disturbed you. My post wasn't concerning me. it was referencing another person's problem. I ordered what I wanted, but he was unable to get what was originally said was going to be available at launch. All I can say is I posted an image of exactly what I received in the email, a pre-order confirmation, and there was no disclaimer. As I previously stated, I have no reason to doubt you and I agree it's nothing to worry about.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
PS. I just pre-ordered an F-150 Lightning. Gotta have a plan B, especially when Plan A is looking increasingly tenuous.
I think I just had a completely different mindset when I plopped my 1K down on a pre-order for a brand new vehicle from a brand new company knowing the complex world we live in these days.

Am I disappointed that I probably will not see a vehicle this year, sure. But I expected things to change and the timeline to slip based on recent history not only from startups but established manufacturers.

In the end, it really does not effect anything for me, I'll just wait a little longer and if the vehicle ends up being what I expect it to, I'll write the check. If not, I gave an interest free loan to a company I thought could provide me an amazing vehicle. My money is literally on the latter.

What ever you end up with, truly I hope it is meets your expectations.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
But the 180kWh pack was never the highest performing one... That honor goes to the 135kWh pack. Read the sentence again, "Fully equipped vehicles with the highest performance level and largest battery pack will enter production first." Two different configurations are named as going "first."

No, the 135kWh and 180kWh packs are not entering production at the exact same time, but they're delivering the highest performance one and the largest one before moving on to lower spec'd configurations (they haven't even announced any details about a 105kWh variant).

Yeah, it was easy to assume the Max pack would be the very first pack, and it was a reasonable guess. But the 135kWh always had the higher performance numbers -- in many ways, that is their flagship product.

The fact of the matter is they named two different configurations to enter production first. One of them just wound up being more first than the other. Both are coming out within 6 months of launch day and way before any lesser-equipped configurations. And before anyone was asked to decide which one they wanted, they knew about the 6-month difference in timeline.
Now that’s some serious cognitive dissonance going on right there!

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
But the 180kWh pack was never the highest performing one... That honor goes to the 135kWh pack. Read the sentence again, "Fully equipped vehicles with the highest performance level and largest battery pack will enter production first." Two different configurations are named as going "first."

No, the 135kWh and 180kWh packs are not entering production at the exact same time, but they're delivering the highest performance one and the largest one before moving on to lower spec'd configurations (they haven't even announced any details about a 105kWh variant).

Yeah, it was easy to assume the Max pack would be the very first pack, and it was a reasonable guess. But the 135kWh always had the higher performance numbers -- in many ways, that is their flagship product.

The fact of the matter is they named two different configurations to enter production first. One of them just wound up being more first than the other. Both are coming out within 6 months of launch day and way before any lesser-equipped configurations. And before anyone was asked to decide which one they wanted, they knew about the 6-month difference in timeline.
That's really giving Rivian the benefit of a doubt. I totally understand. BUT, if Rivian would just be a little more transparent here with their evolving rollout plan, there would be a lot less speculation, and a lot less theoretical stuff to sort through on this forum.

Sponsored

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
I have done some searching but haven't come up with the answer. When in the guide confirmation/ordering process does the $1000 deposit become non-refundable? I was hoping someone that has been contacted could confirm.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
. . . have had zero useful information form multiple calls to Rivian CS.
I have tried to contact Rivian CS twice. One time was an email a couple of months ago to inquire if they knew when vehicles might be available for viewing or test driving in south Florida. I never got a response.

Another time I had an electrician at the house to asses what would be involved in adding a third EV charging plug to the two I already have in my garage. He needed to know the amperage requirements, so I called Rivian CS. This time I got an answer quickly. (For anyone who's interested, it's 32 amps with a FEMA 14-50 plug and 48 amps with the Rivian wall connector, meaning at least a 40-amp or 60-amp line from the panel.)

As I also have a reservation for a Lucid Air Dream Edition, I watch forums for both brands. I have contacted Lucid with far more questions than I ever had for Rivian, and I have invariably gotten a quick response. It has not always been an answer, but someone always gave me what information they did have or an explanation as to why they could give no more. I have noted a lot more frustration on this forum with failures to get requested information or even responses from Rivian.

Maybe it's because Rivian has about 30,000 reservations and Lucid has about 8,000 as near as anyone can ferret out. But then again, I would expect an organization to size up for the projected demand.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have done some searching but haven't come up with the answer. When in the guide confirmation/ordering process does the $1000 deposit become non-refundable? I was hoping someone that has been contacted could confirm.
Since they have a 7 day return policy, it would be refundable up to the 8th day after delivery.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
No, it is not converted yet.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have tried to contact Rivian CS twice. One time was an email a couple of months ago to inquire if they knew when vehicles might be available for viewing or test driving in south Florida. I never got a response.

Another time I had an electrician at the house to asses what would be involved in adding a third EV charging plug to the two I already have in my garage. He needed to know the amperage requirements, so I called Rivian CS. This time I got an answer quickly. (For anyone who's interested, it's 32 amps with a FEMA 14-50 plug and 48 amps with the Rivian wall connector, meaning at least a 40-amp or 60-amp line from the panel.)

As I also have a reservation for a Lucid Air Dream Edition, I watch forums for both brands. I have contacted Lucid with far more questions than I ever had for Rivian, and I have invariably gotten a quick response. It has not always been an answer, but someone always gave me what information they did have or an explanation as to why they could give no more. I have noted a lot more frustration on this forum with failures to get requested information or even responses from Rivian.

Maybe it's because Rivian has about 30,000 reservations and Lucid has about 8,000 as near as anyone can ferret out. But then again, I would expect an organization to size up for the projected demand.
That is interesting, I have contacted CS many times via chat and email and have always received prompt responses. Many times the response is we will have more information soon but several times I got the answer I was looking for. A couple of times I was told let me look into it and get you an answer.

I have never been left hanging with no response.

Sponsored

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
I’m assuming there is a point in the order/ configuration process where the guide ask for order confirmation at which time you say yes and go forward or no and receive your deposit back. Is that point before or after a confirmed build date from Rivian?

Last edited:

Anidom

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Jeep Wranger Unlimited
Occupation
Sales
February 2019 R1T LE pre-order. Launch Green with Ocean Cost. 22 Sport Wheels. In NJ.

I have not been contacted yet...

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
It's hard to admit a mistake, but that's what I need to do. I went back and looked at my Pre-order agreement and saw where I made a mistake in my thought process, or at least I think so. While the wording is not the same as what Rivian uses "now" to determine where the deliveries go, I believe it can be interpreted that way, or at least it does to me. It's okay to disagree because I'm not completely sure myself.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Guide Contacted Finally! (For Real) ? Rivian

In the highlighted area, it shows how the priority will be set. The first priority listed is date of payment of your Pre-order fee. Being I didn't know exactly what the following two meant at the time (manufacturing schedule/delivery and service operation's availability), I just dismissed them. I could have asked Customer Service to explain them over two years ago, but I didn't. I don't even know if they had Customer Service set up at the time. The mistake is mine, not theirs.

Now I know, from recent Rivian comments, that date of payment, Configuration and Location will determine which vehicles are shipped first. In the highlighted area, I will interpret "manufacturing schedule" as the Configuration, which will be scheduled to produce a certain configuration for a period of time. "Our delivery and service operation's availability" interprets as to where the Location will be.

Speculation: We are all temporarily categorized as either living in a qualified zone (service operation's availability), or not. However, this will be continually changing (or should be) as more and more service operations are completed.

Possibly the first order number that is living close to a "service operation area" (Location), may not have the earliest pre-order date, but lives in a qualified zone and chose possibly the Blue/Black Mtn. Configuration (manufacturing schedule) and set the schedule for production.

Unless there are some expected delays, I should receive my LE R1T no later than the end of spring 2022, according to Rivian's comments. If I am incorrect in expecting this as the latest projected date, please correct me. I had originally based my delivery solely on payment date and hoped for an August 2021 delivery. I see where I was wrong. Hard to swallow, but that's the way I look at it now.

If this delivery method continues, I would be surprised to have factory available pick up, unless there are configurations left over from previous production cycles. Maybe that'll happen too.

My speculation is all that it is, pure speculation. May not be any truth to it at all. My past speculation about Ford is now invalid in my opinion. I think Rivian could improve in their Customer Relations, but overall my impatience and understanding were/are completely my mistake.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

It's hard to admit a mistake, but that's what I need to do. I went back and looked at my Pre-order agreement and saw where I made a mistake in my thought process, or at least I think so. While the wording is not the same as what Rivian uses "now" to determine where the deliveries go, I believe it can be interpreted that way, or at least it does to me. It's okay to disagree because I'm not completely sure myself.

Rivian.jpg

In the highlighted area, it shows how the priority will be set. The first priority listed is date of payment of your Pre-order fee. Being I didn't know exactly what the following two meant at the time (manufacturing schedule/delivery and service operation's availability), I just dismissed them. I could have asked Customer Service to explain them over two years ago, but I didn't. I don't even know if they had Customer Service set up at the time. The mistake is mine, not theirs.

Now I know, from recent Rivian comments, that date of payment, Configuration and Location will determine which vehicles are shipped first. In the highlighted area, I will interpret "manufacturing schedule" as the Configuration, which will be scheduled to produce a certain configuration for a period of time. "Our delivery and service operation's availability" interprets as to where the Location will be.

Speculation: We are all temporarily categorized as either living in a qualified zone (service operation's availability), or not. However, this will be continually changing (or should be) as more and more service operations are completed.

Possibly the first order number that is living close to a "service operation area" (Location), may not have the earliest pre-order date, but lives in a qualified zone and chose possibly the Blue/Black Mtn. Configuration (manufacturing schedule) and set the schedule for production.

Unless there are some expected delays, I should receive my LE R1T no later than the end of spring 2022, according to Rivian's comments. If I am incorrect in expecting this as the latest projected date, please correct me. I had originally based my delivery solely on payment date and hoped for an August 2021 delivery. I see where I was wrong. Hard to swallow, but that's the way I look at it now.

If this delivery method continues, I would be surprised to have factory available pick up, unless there are configurations left over from previous production cycles. Maybe that'll happen too.

My speculation is all that it is, pure speculation. May not be any truth to it at all. My past speculation about Ford is now invalid in my opinion. I think Rivian could improve in their Customer Relations, but overall my impatience and understanding were/are completely my mistake.
cc84,

Nice mea culpa! Not everyone is good at calling themselves out, but good to hear your explanation of what happened. In reading it, I'm wondering if there is some hesitation to allow factory pickups early on because the first couple of thousand miles could put an owner far away from available service support while on the road home. Given that delivery timing is partially based on a new owner's proximity to a Service Center, it makes me think they don't want the possibility of being potentially surprised with a remote breakdown. Frankly, as much as I want to take that road trip, I wouldn't want to be surprised if an early bug/glitch brought it to a halt.

It would make perfect sense, although I've always had the dream of going back to Normal and meeting the team while touring the facility, before taking an awesome road trip home. My late wife had one of the Eagle Talons made in that factory from it's prior iteration under Mitsubishi. I was taken by the initial story of that factory, the cool cars they produced, and its impact on Normal/Bloomington when it was originally built.

I sure understand why they may not want to go forward with factory pickups in the early stages, but I look forward to the day that I'll be able to go and visit and see Rivian close up.

Again, kudos for your note. ???
Sponsored