RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
While you may not be wrong, your comment is inflammatory and it's likely why you're getting such negative feedback.

Anyway - short answer is in certain ways yes, in others no. Much like everything in life, it's complicated.

Longer answer is that it all depends on what criteria you're looking at the program through and what horizon your judging it on. From Rivian's perspective the guide program has been started, is actively reaching out to customers, and is doing so in a timeframe that correlates with what they have been previously communicating. At it's most basic level, it's hard to describe it as anything else than a success.

From a consumer perspective, the timing is overshadowed by the delivery delays, the lack of content in what the guide can tell you even when contacted, and for the vast majority of folks, the complete lack of communication from guides in general. (e.g. I preordered a year ago and still haven't received a call) On those criteria, it's a pretty clear failure as of the second I click the post reply button.

More realistically, it's too soon to call. I believe it's unreasonable to judge the effectiveness of the program based on 10 days of activity. I've run enough projects to understand that all of them have growing pains - unknown unknowns - that hurt effectiveness, and that the, "what have you done for me lately" largely makes the very initial stages of projects pretty irrelevant.

Complicating the situation here though is a fairly consistent history of crap communication, so from my perspective this recent foray into Guide-dom is more an extension on how Rivian will be communicating to it's customs rather than a standalone deal. I'd say that has been at very best mediocre, at worst a dismal failure, and to me it's been profoundly disappointing.

I just hope that we can both be disappointed and kind to others who may not feel the same way.
Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Without trying to explain it, argue it, or "sell it" I will simply say that my own personal "Rivian balloon" has fizzled a lot of air out in the past weeks. I'd say since April when things seemed to be peaking towards a very exciting Spring/Summer 2021. Only to be rocked by the eerie silence of May.

I get why so many here spell-out really thoughtful defenses of why things really aren't as bad or disappointing or anything remotely negative towards Rivian. How signing up for a start-up EV company goes hand-in-hand with long waits, missed deadlines and surprises. And if you're not willing to tolerate all that without whining maybe its better to look / buy elsewhere.

I'll end with saying that even the most die-hard Riviot here defending the situation to the bitter end, if truly honest with themselves, would have never thought in the heights of April that Guide contacts in May can be counted on one-hand done in one end of May-day, and that those "early delivery people" would be told to expect it between August - November. No way!

That's the underlying reason for my own deflation... (but I won't relinquish my R1T L.E. reservation)

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
While you may not be wrong, your comment is inflammatory and it's likely why you're getting such negative feedback.

Anyway - short answer is in certain ways yes, in others no. Much like everything in life, it's complicated.

Longer answer is that it all depends on what criteria you're looking at the program through and what horizon your judging it on. From Rivian's perspective the guide program has been started, is actively reaching out to customers, and is doing so in a timeframe that correlates with what they have been previously communicating. At it's most basic level, it's hard to describe it as anything else than a success.

From a consumer perspective, the timing is overshadowed by the delivery delays, the lack of content in what the guide can tell you even when contacted, and for the vast majority of folks, the complete lack of communication from guides in general. (e.g. I preordered a year ago and still haven't received a call) On those criteria, it's a pretty clear failure as of the second I click the post reply button.

More realistically, it's too soon to call. I believe it's unreasonable to judge the effectiveness of the program based on 10 days of activity. I've run enough projects to understand that all of them have growing pains - unknown unknowns - that hurt effectiveness, and that the, "what have you done for me lately" largely makes the very initial stages of projects pretty irrelevant.

Complicating the situation here though is a fairly consistent history of crap communication, so from my perspective this recent foray into Guide-dom is more an extension on how Rivian will be communicating to it's customs rather than a standalone deal. I'd say that has been at very best mediocre, at worst a dismal failure, and to me it's been profoundly disappointing.

I just hope that we can both be disappointed and kind to others who may not feel the same way.
The majority of us are probably disappointed, to be sure. But the majority of us (unlike our inflammatory comment friend) understand that being dissatisfied with something doesn't automatically make that thing a failure.

Even if we're talking about Rivian's general comms history, yes it's been disappointing but they have CS reps at hand via chat, email, and phone who we can reach out to. They have been out and about testing their vehicles, sharing info when they can. They informed us (albeit belatedly) about the most recent delays. Not ideal, but by no means a failure in communications.

We can be both disappointed and still root for the company's success. Those do not have to be mutually exclusive. We've made memes mocking Rivian's "very soon" ethos - not to relegate the company as a failure, but rather with the hope they will pull through and deliver. At the end of the day, we all want that to happen, so calling the company or the Guide strategy a failure at this stage is just pointless.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'll end with saying that even the most die-hard Riviot here defending the situation to the bitter end, if truly honest with themselves, would have never thought in the heights of April that Guide contacts in May can be counted on one-hand done in one end of May-day, and that those "early delivery people" would be told to expect it between August - November. No way!
I can't speak for others -- only myself.

I'm disappointed that Rivian delayed deliveries. I'm more disappointed that they waited to the last minute to tell us.

They revised the public estimate to say July. If they don't meet that commitment, then I have some serious issues with that. Why tell us July, publicly, but then call people and say November the next day? I believe we are owed an explanation for that.

I have a reservation for Rivian and GMC Hummer EV Truck. I will almost certainly go with whoever can put the vehicle in my driveway, first.

If they were both available on the same day, I'd go Rivian. I think it's quirky, and I love that.

And while neither are available, I have to give them leeway because what else can I do? Plus, I have to maintain my own mental health.

But once one is available, to me, then that's what I'm going with. Rivian had every chance to be first.... Will they actually do it? Time will tell.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

PeePee, what you need to understand is <CONDESCENDING RESPONSE HERE>. It's like <UNNECESSARY METAPHOR HERE>. What Rivian has said all along is <RANDOM RIVIAN FACTS HERE>. So just be patient, have a drink/soda/what have you, and enjoy summer. It'll come when it comes.

In the meantime, I'm checking out. Too much anxiety and negative energy is taking over here, and I haven't learned anything new from this in months. I'll hit up folks from PNW boards once I'm back and take delivery in November.

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

That’s like calling an F1 driver a failure after the first 10 seconds of a 60 lap race.
Unless that driver is Nikita Mazepin and the race is Bahrain 2021. :CWL:

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
We haven’t seen the information we want yet, but to call the entire program a failure based on that is a huge stretch. They’ve barely gotten started. That’s like calling an F1 driver a failure after the first 10 seconds of a 60 lap race.
Well, unless it’s Nikita Mazepin we’re talking about.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Unless that driver is Nikita Mazepin and the race is Bahrain 2021. :CWL:
Shit, I just posted the same thing. Aaaahahahahaha

Kialoa

First Name
Kialoa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, Cayenne
As summarised in Post #370 I found my guide interaction on June 2nd quite useful. Whether I like the timeline she laid out or not, I now know to expect weekly informational updates starting in July, and an estimated delivery in Week 4 in October. I also have a direct phone and email connection to a person inside the Rivian organisation. I’m happy to have them spend the time they need to deliver a well-sorted truck.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
So, when are you getting your Plaid +?
Sponsored